Exchanging Applesauce for Oil in a Cake Recipe

I am making cupcakes for my 1 yr old twins birthday party and I have heard of using applesauce instead of oil in recipes and wondered if anyone knew the exchange ratio. Also, do they really taste the same?

I did the exchange with plain applesauce ( I buy this stuff practically by the case for the babies to eat), and they turned out great!! You couldn't tase it at all in the chocolate, but could taste a hint in the yellow cake, no one could tell the difference. And some of them may not have eaten them had they known, but instead they gobbled them up!! thank you so much!!!

Hi, I have replaced the oil with applesauce in many cakes, they taste the same & you use about the same amount of applesauce as the oil called for. Very simple. Good luck

Even exchange, I find that it's lighter and more moist than when you use oil. I've been making cakes this way for years.

I agree with Christina. I've only done it a time or two, but it really did make the end-result quite moist and yummy.

I use an even exchange. It actually tastes BETTER and is more MOIST! Yummm

Even exchange.

Keep in mind that some applesauce has other flavors that may alter your end result. We use plain applesauce but have tried cinnamon in some muffins--we got mixed results.

Happy baking!

I also do even exchange and have never had a problem.

I've done it too and it works great. They taste the same and are more moist. You can also do it for pancakes, instead of milk use applesauce.

You can use 1/2 and 1/2 or echange the whole amount for applesauce. We can our own applesauce and use it instead of oil in all our baked goods, cakes, cookies, quick breads, etc. In case you are wondering, Weight Watchers substitutes the oil/fat with applesauce. Try it out before the party to see if you like it. I love it that way. Less fat, more nutrition (because our applesauce is not made with any preservatives or artificial anything.)

1 / 3