Excessive Spit-up- How Much Is Too Much?

This last week or two my breastfed daughter has spit-up . . . a ton. Sometimes I feel like she spits up everything that she just ate. My first daughter spit-up a bit as well, but nothing compared to this. We go through so many clothes, bibs, and burp cloths! We have an appt scheduled for next week with the doc for a weight check and consult. At two weeks she had gained quite a bit. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi H., I am a a mother of two boys. They are now 13 and 7. My 7 year old spit up all the time, so I now exactly what you are going through!! My baby thrived just fine, but anyone who held him had better be dressed for it!! It is a bit messy, but my pediatrician told me that by six months, he should stop. And, he did. So just be patient and prepared for the spit up. It doesn't last forever!

This happens frequently i had 2 girls and both were csection babies -- dont know if that had anything to do with it but the youngest spit up a lot i thought all she had eaten -- now i hear that this happens when a valve into the stomach does not close keeping the feeding down -- take heart they outgrow it at about 10 months to a year

Both of my daughter's have had dairy allergies and this sounds familiar. You'll want to cut out all dairy from your diet, and should see results in 2 weeks.

Avoid:
casein (dairy protein)
whey
lactic acid (some is from beets, but will say on pkg)
cheese
butter
yogurt
milk
creams

you can google all the names for dairy.

Also be careful of dairy hidden in items- rotisserie chickens, any baked goods, sweets, smoothies, coffee drinks, etc.

Good alternatives for cooking and baking are
rice milk
hemp milk
almond milk

soy is okay too, but sometimes it can make your hormones imbalanced, and i find the taste of it unpleasant.

hope this helps!

H.:

it is difficult to tell... but... often spitting up is just a laundry issue/ if you are concerned then it is important to seek assistance... you md or maybe a lactation consultant.

P., RLC, IBCLC
Breastfeeding and Parenting Solutions

Alternative possibilities:
1) You may have oversupply, which can cause a breastfed baby to consume a lot of milk quickly, but then have to spit up later. From what I understand, the baby eats a lot of foremilk, which promotes good weight gain, but sometimes doesn't get enough hindmilk, which creates a satisfied feeling from fats. So she'd want to eat a lot, could gain a lot, and often spits up.

2) Your baby may have reflux, and might need a combination of a med like Zantac, which helps lower stomach acidity, and physical changes, like keeping her upright and relatively unjiggled following a feeding. Those together could help her keep her food down better, and would also make spitting up less of a discomfort for her.

I don't discount the possibility of allergy that others have brought up, but when we faced this problem with my now-17-monther, it turned out that we needed a lactation consultant more than an elimination diet (which I did, for weeks and weeks). If I were you, I'd bring all these ideas in to the doctor on your next visit. Good luck!

Could she possibly be allergic to your breast milk. My nieces both did the same thing because they were allergic and had to be switched to soy milk.

In my experience some kids are just barfy. I would take your cues from her. Is she happy? Does she seem upset by the barfing? Is she gaining weight? If it doesn't seem to be bothering her or affecting her weight gain, I would avoid any medication. Keep her upright after meals and consider giving her smaller meals.

I would also check your diet. Is there something new that you've added in the last week or so? She may be reacting to something you ate that doesn't agree with her.

Hi, H..

The last 3 of my 5 kids had bad cases of reflux. My littlest is still on medication for it and he just turned one. It seems to be diagnosed somewhere around 2 or 3 weeks, so that seems about right. I would check with the pediatrician. I myself would be careful with a diagnosis of milk allergy. With my kids, I cut out all of my milk, cheese, etc. and this was successful for the most recent guy. One of the others needed intestinal surgery and the other one, it made no difference. But I will tell you, if you are insistent on breastfeeding, you may be discouraged from doing so on many different levels...I was told by my pediatrician more than once that I should switch to formula which I did not do. But just know that if you are hell bent on it, there is a way, probably with meds, to continue the breastfeeding. You just may have to work really hard at it and sacrifice some foods.

My son spit up a ton as well. The Doc said that as long as he is gaining weight he was not concerned. My mom, MIL everyone said that he was spitting up too much but the fact was that he was gaining the amount he was supposed to. So as long as she is gaining wt, you might have to deal with the spit up. Contact your lactation consultant for help as well. I went once a week for a few months they weighed him and then I could find out how much he was getting.

All my kids were spitters...my first the worst...people actually brought a change of clothes when they came over! It gets better with age....we tried everything...smaller meals, proping her up after eating, I changed my diet by eliminating certain things like dairy....nothing worked she was just a spitter...by 1 she was basically done

1 / 3