Excessive Facial Hair

Ok this is embarrassing to ask and I have been putting it off but I need to know. I have always had facial hair that is blond and kinda showed up with makeup on but was always fine and very short. Recently it has seemed to get coarser and definitely growing very long ( I could grow a blond beard) I am 34 so I feel I am too young to be dealing with this but that is a whole other issue.

What I need to know is does anyone have this same issue and wax the hair off their face. Not just the upper lip but the whole "beard" area. I have been trimming with a scissors but it is not a useful way to deal with this. I am wondering if the hair with grow back dark not blond and then give me a five o'clock shadow which would be worse. (after waxing) I do not want to shave. Are their products I can buy to do at home? Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune going to a place to have my face waxed. Plus seems extra embarrassing. Looking for products people have used on their face that they would recommend.
Thanks,

OMG! THANK YOU for all the great responses! It is nice to know I am not the only one dealing with this. I got so may good suggestions and a lot of options to try that I never even considered. I happened to be at Target and saw the "finishing touch" that Scarlett suggested and since it was only $10, I thought I would try it. It worked pretty well. My face looks and feels smooth and hair free. Although I think I was giving that little thing a run for it's money. Love that it is fast, easy, I can do it myself at home. I will probably buy something a little bigger like the Emjoi, several suggested. All my concerns about waxing have been answered so I may consider that in the future. Right now money is tight. Electrolysis I think for me, isn't practical. I have heard blond hair is harder to treat and I really do have a lot, too big of an area. My brother and father have such thick beards they can not even use electric razors of any kind, has to be old fashion shaving for them. I wonder if I got a little of that trait. Lucky me. As for hormones,etc. Since this is a newer problem I will get that checked out. I always have my thyroid checked due to the fact that everyone in my family is Hypothyroid, as for now I am fine. I may need to get other hormones check though. Thank you for the concern.
I like the info about 'sugaring" and how it actually reduced that amount of hair in time but right now I can't find any in the area that does it, but once money isn't an issue I am gonna really pursue it.
Thank you again because I have more confidence now,

My friend has a similar issue. She wanted to get hers lasered off but she was told that since the hair was blond, she wasn't a good candidate. They recommended waxing and she was leery of that for the same reasons you have. So the lady suggested one of those little personal shavers. My friend says she has been quite pleased with that. It's quick and painless, gets closer than trimming and it doesn't leave red marks or bumps. She said she has just added it to her morning routine. Just runs it over her face real quick.

I use epiladys for my entire body.
This is the one I use on my face:
http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP-9L-Slim-Cosmetic-Remover/d...
It is small, the effects last the same as a waxing, but no redness. One small price and this will last you for years!

I highly recommend the finishing touch or a similar product. These can be purchased at Target or Walgreens. Here is the link.

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/finishingtouch1/finishing...

Shaving is another option, but I watched a special on Doctor Oz that hosted dermatologists as guests for that day's show. One woman in the audience said she shaved her face, and also noticed her face seemed to appear smoother after shaving. The derm recommended she stop shaving because it can create microscopic cuts in the facial skin and cause even bigger problems.

I cannot recommend the above listed product enough - it gets close to the skin and is so easy and painless. You can use this inbetween waxings or as your solo method of hair removal.

Okay, DON'T JUDGE! One of the "New Jersey Housewives" said she shaves her face in the shower daily and now I do to. The key is to shave your entire face otherwise you'll see where you stopped when you apply your make-up. My skin looks better too! It's cheap, easy and there's nothing to apply.

***Update. I just ordered what Nancy W. suggested. I'm a big fan of threading, I had NO idea you could do it yourself! Nice, now I can say goodbye to my miserable and always LATE to open threading lady!

just make sure you check your hormone levels like your thyroid to rule out anything. :)

M., first I have to tell you that I love your honesty! I, too, have excessive facial hair. I have beard-like hair that grows on my neck and chin. After years of plucking it, or just letting it go, or using lotions like Nair, I went and had it waxed. It's been a week now and it still hasn't grown back. With the Nair it would come back in about three days. The lady who did my waxing was so sweet and I wasn't embarrassed at all. (I'm the one who usually talks to people with my hand on my neck to hide it.

I feel so much more confident! I'm going to be going and having it waxed regularly now! Where I went it was $30 (but I had my eyebrows, lip, chin and neck done). I'm not sure how often it'll have to be done, but I think it's worth it!

My peach fuzz is dark and all around my jawline as well as my upper lip. Yeah, it could become a beard if I let it. I used to wax but the strips were small and I needed too many to cover such a large area. So I started using depilatory cream which worked great but sometimes burned or gave me a rash. Now I use a bellabee (got it on amazon), this coil device that works like threading. It took a little while to get used to but I go over my whole face about once a week and it pulls the hairs out by the root so they don't come back as fast as shaving and they are still soft and fine.

Hi M..

I have basically the same thing...

I don't want to shave either, for fear that it will grow in thicker, darker, more coarse, etc. And I am just not into waxing. I'll get my eyebrows waxed on occasion, but that's the extent of it.

I resorted to using hair clippers/trimmers to basically *trim* it off very short. I don't use the guard, I just use the bare clippers, and it takes it down to almost nothing. I have been doing this for years, and I don't notice it getting any darker, or thicker, etc. Just the same old blond beard. (>_<) I'm sure that this is similar to shaving, but I don't want a razor to actually shave my skin, because I don't want to look like a man that just shaved, with little red marks, etc... the clippers only trim so close, so it's more like giving it a really short buzz cut, without actually shaving the skin.

Anyhow, that's my advice. It does suck, but you are not alone.

I have not tried it, but I have heard that sugaring is the best route to go...you have to find a salon that does it, I guess if you do it regularly eventually it will be a permanent solution...not sure how many times you have to have it done.

1 / 3