Excessive Dark Hair on Daughter's Legs

Should I be concerned??? My 6 year old daughter has recently grown longer, darker hair on her lower legs, not her thighs. This is extremely unusual for our family as I am Scandinavian, very fair, blonde hair, blue eyes, and started shaving my lower legs only after puberty. My husband is Asian, their family is even less hairy. My MIL & SIL's don't have and never have had leg hair. So genetically, this shouldn't be happening. Is it hormones in our food? Is it stress in our lives? Is it the heat here in AZ?

Thank you Mamasource Girlfriends for your personal advice, experience and stories! You're amazing! First, the Pediatrician states there is nothing to worry about, no other hormonal signs, such as underarm or pubic hair, body odor, etc. But more importantly, I learned valuable life information that helped me put this into a healthy perspective. I truly thank you for taking the time to write me.
God bless you!!

If anyone in your family was "hairy" before you, she probably inherited it. Lucky ! I have dark hair, brows, and lots of hair in all sorts of strange places. It's such a pain, but you learn to live with it.
If you feel it's more of a concern, I would talk to your doc about it.
Good luck... good news is that she'll probably never dealing with baldness :)

I personally not sure if it anything you should be worried.
Consult your pediatrician.
But when you mentioned food, I don't buy milk from Wal-mart because it has added hormones I don't want myself or my children to consume.

If it were me I would have her checked out. My girlfriend has PCOS and gets very dark hair on her face, arms and legs. Doubt it is that but, always could to have someone take a look. Good luck.

I had the hairiest legs and arms as a girl and kids at school made fun of me :( But I was secure enough that it didn't ruin my self-esteem, but of course it made me feel bad. I was so hairy that at my 4-year-old checkup my doctor asked my mom if I had pubic hair already. He was concerned that I had hormone problems. But nope--just hairy, nothing else to it. I have to shave my arms and legs and wax my eyebrows weekly and I'm saving up for electrolysis. It's annoying, but I still feel attractive and my husband never complains (it helps that I shave). I even have a cowlick on my back. I know it sounds disgusting, but my back is probably as hairy as most people's arms, and I've gotten used to it and learned to be confident in spite of my hair.

When I was little my mom told me I was allowed to shave my legs as soon as I wanted to. She also bought me Nair (which eats the hair away) to try after coming home sad one day from being made fun of. As she was applying the Nair she wanted to be careful not to hurt me, so she asked if it was burning. I said, "Yes," even thought it was not burning at all because I was embarrassed (shaving was as embarassing to me as puberty and periods when I was 10). Secretly I really wanted the hair gone very badly and I wanted her to keep applying the Nair, but my aunt was there and I was just embarrassed by all the attention and so I lied about it burning. Silly kids and what goes on in their minds.

Hi J., my name is M. I'm 36 staying home with my kids for now, I have 3 daughters 12,11 and an 8 month old. When my oldest was about 7 years old I noticed the same thing, along with excessive hair on her lower legs she also had excessive underarm sweating and really bad B.O. I agree with you that it's all the hormones and processed food our kids are eating. I mentioned it to our family MD at the time, but all I got was that some children go through puberty at a younger age and that was probably what was going on?? Maybe including some organic foods can help. Good luck.

1 / 3