Excessive Coughing After Using a Albuterol/nebulizer

My 4 month old is recieving albuterol through a nebulizer and so is my 2 yr old.My little one is coughing really bad after using it and her heart is beating really fast .Its scary! Is this normal? im scared to go to sleep bcuz she kepps coughing ....my 2yr old isnt having a problem with it,im beginning to think that albuterol may be too strong for infants that young ...any thoughts????

thanx for the answers im new to mamapedia and new to forum type stuff like this ..so im confused on how to resond back to my answers u all gave me,i hope i did it right.she isnt coughing so much now and i dont think i will give her the treatment before bed agian..they arent asmatic so hopefully i wont have to give this to them again .i am on medicaid so the alternative drug is outta the question.

I know I'm late to post, but I wanted to say that Albuterol is NOT a steroid. However, it WILL increase heart rate. When my daughter was hospitalized, she was given albuterol treatements had such severe tachycardia that they had to change her to Xopenex. She was running a fever and that combined with the medication made her little heart beat so incredibly fast.

Anyway, it's normal, but talk to the doctor about changing dose or trying another drug. Xoponex was covered by Staywell, if you happen to have Florida Medicaid.

I gave my youngest albuterol when she was just 3 months old for a bad cough and congestion. What does the doc say about it? Maybe bronchitis or something else. I would page the doc right away!

it will raise the heart beat. albuterol is an upper. the albuterol is only relaxing the air way so your baby can cough easier. it will help the cough but not get rid of it totally. if your baby continues to cough and cough for a week after starting the albuterol i would take her back and ask about a 5 day steriod to clear her up. my daughter was diagnosed with asthma at 10 months. are your kids asthmatic? my daughter takes a prevenative medication (pulmicort) via nebulizer. also she takes albuterol when she is sick or her allergies are raging.

My now 12 month old daugher has been on abuterol through the nebulizer for the last 3 months, before that she was taking albuterol orally for about 3 weeks. She has had a terrible cough since she was about 6 months old. For the last 2 months she has been on the albuterol followed by palmacourt (sp?) which is a steroid (albuterol is not a steroid) the albuterol helps to open up the airways and then the palmacourt goes in and hopefully reduces all the inflamiation and all the coughing. So far it hasn't helped us to much but we are going to stick with it a little while longer. She was also diagnosed with reflux a little over a month ago (I have been asking about it for months and months, thanks for finally listening to mom) and they put her on pretnizone (sp?) in the mornings and that seemed to help a lot! We just finished the 30 days of that so hopefully we will see some improvement, I hate having such a tiny little girl on so many medications.

We didn't start my daughter on all this until she was about 8 months but she is still about the size of a 6 month old (even at a year!), if you have any concerns get right back to that doctor and find something you are comfortable with!

I know that it did make my heart as a child. I also know that it does loosen the mucus up so coughing is a bit normal... 4 mos DOES seem young, but I am no doctor. Theres my 2 cents...

My son has been on breathing treatments since about 1 yr old and Xopenex is absolutely easier on their little bodies than albuterol. As far as the coughing, the Xopenex/Albuterol is opening their air way which does cause them to cough. I would suggest you talk to your Pediatrician and tell him about the side effects and ask him to try the Xopenex.
I hope your little ones feel better soon. I'm not sure how long you've been dealing with breathing treatments with your 2yr old but this is a process....

I would still check and see if the doctor can get the alternative medicine approved for use. I had private insurance, but it only covered albuterol. When the doctor told them it made my babies heart race and she needed something else, they finally covered it. It's worth a try. Good luck.

My children have to use the nebulizer as well...albuterol will make a child cough more than what they were doing before they used it. albuterol breaks up what is in their chest so they can cough it up more easily....its a steroid so it will cause their little hearts to beat really fast...my advice to you is to call your pediatrician and ask for xopenex..it works the same as albuterol, but has less side effects.
best of luck and let us know what happened....

If the little one starts coughing again, use this trick the in-patient hospital nurses taught me. Use a pillow (flatter one) and place it between the frame and mattress of the crib (lifts one end), then take a thick towel and roll it like a snake, shape it as a U and put it in the middle of the crib with the U part downhill, place baby's butt in the bottom of the U so she doesn't slide (with legs over the bottom hump of the U) -- worked like a CHARM with my kiddo when he was 5 months! Helps everything to drain down rather than lie in the chest (also avoided ear infections after colds this way so things don't pool in the head)...after they get too mobile in the crib, can't do it :) Albuterol is like baby speed- do not do close to nap or bed time and expect some heart racing, irritability, etc.

Best of luck!
A.
Local Childcare Coordinator
Cultural Care Au Pair
(and full time attorney)
###-###-#### cell
http://aferrini.aupairnews.com

1 / 3