Excema Treatments

Moms, please help! My 2 year old son has terrible excema, the back of his legs, wrists, and elbows are red and itchy. I have asked my doctor what to do and he suggests putting cortisone cream on it. I do not want to continue doing this, I don't think it is good to put cortisone on his skin day after day. Have any of you tried anything else that has worked: creams, lotions, etc.? Preferably something all natural that will not harm his health in the long run. I have tried many different store-bought items and nothing seems to work very well. Thank you so much!

Both of my boys got it really bad on face and body. After the corisone, we used Aquaphor. It worked really good for us. Aveeno and the other lotions didn't do anything for us.

J., My cousins pediatrician just told her about a new Eucerin cream that has a very low level of cortisone in it. Ask about that...

I know that with my daughter the Aveeno products work pretty well and when it really flares up I use Cortizone cream for about 2 days and it really gets it under control. Good luck.

Ditto on the eczema here. It gets really bad in the winter but try some of the products everyone listed below but also try switching to 100% cotton pj's. My MD suggested this and it helped quite a bit. Most of the winter pj's are a poly blend and it does not let the skin breathe. I switched and was very happy with the results. Sara's Prints,Hanna Andersson, LL Bean all have good cotton jamies and you can buy them both online. Try it, it might help. Also, I did try Arbonne's ABC creme and it was okay. Certainly not a miracle but probably as good as Eucerin. Thought I would give you that input as I saw some posts about buying some of these products. I did like the idea of a fish tank. Beats running a humidifier all winter as my MD suggested. I'll be trying that out this winter. Good luck to you.

Anything showing up on the skin, being on the outside of the body, means there is something not right on the inside. Go to www.ahccenter.com
Alternative Healthcare Center is a group of chiropractors and nutritional specialists who treat issues from the inside out naturally. They are not expensive, they are fun and they get to the cause, rather than covering up with topical treatments like cortizone, that could have long term negative results. It could very well be it is something he is eating causing the excema OR something that is missing in his diet. GIve them a call, you won't be sorry. Good luck!

I don't know what your thoughts are on natural remidies but I would highly suggest taking your son to a Naturopath. My legs itched like crazy and then I went to Dale Tamminga of "Healthy For Life"
Here is his info -
Dale Tamminga
###-###-####
4467 Cascade Rd. Ste. 4479
Grand Rapids MI 49546
www.healthyforlifemi.com

He is a Christian so he is not into the crazy eastern religious stuff that so many "natural" people are. He is wonderful and was great with my daughter when we needed to take her in for an issue.

You have gotten a lot of advice on how to sooth the skin but there is something going on inside of him that needs fixing and when that is taken care of the excema will take care of it's self. That may sound odd, but Dale would be able to find out what is up inside to take care of the outside!!@

I would really really recommend you look into something such as this, especially since he helped me get rid of the itching on my legs.

Dear J.,
I have been helping moms clear up exzema on their kids for 5 years now by teaching them how the exzema is truly an outward manifestation from AN INWARD PROBLEM.

We were not made for toxic chemicals that are in laundry soaps and cleaners.
I help people learn to shop for safer products.
AND THEN THERE IS A LOTION SOLD EXCLUSIVELY AT THE STORE CALLED RENEW.
The prices are under department store products and way safer for you, your family and the environment.
I can help you if you email me, J.

Allergies are a good place to start looking for causes.

That said, though I have never had eczema, from an herbal perspective, the following herbs are said to have a beneficial effect:

Aloe (fresh gel from the plant is most effective-the creams rarely work as well) the gel relieves pain as well as encouraging the healing of tissues

Birch (toss one or two powdered tsp. of bark or 1 or 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped birch leaves -yes the tree) into a cup of boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes and drink. This is generally considered to be as safe as a cup of coffee, so is not likely to pose any threat to your youngster.

Calendula (calendula officinalis, or "pot marigold") as has been mentioned.

I'm not sure if there any studies to back this up, but herbalists often perscribe chickweed (one of the most common weeds in the world and probably growing outside in your lawn) for excema too you can eat as much as 1/4c to 1/2c of the fresh herb or some other method. It is often used in salads, and boiled is supposed to taste like spring spinach (not sure what boiling would do to the medicinal effects though - it often destroy's them)

Echinacea can be used as well, though it is wise to start with a very small dose as there is some evidence that too large a dose might actualy slow down the immune system rather than stimulate it.

Tumeric/curcumin - one tsp of dried herb in a warm cup of milk daily (maybe only half a cup in the case of your little one) pairing this remedy with increased black pepper, or ginger consumption will increase the effectiveness as much as twenty fold. Tumeric is said to be about half as effective as perscription corticosteriods, but doesn't have the side effets.

Witch Hazel - topically only. In the case of excema, it would be best to apply a tea made from the leaf to the skin (via cotton balls or soft cloths) the alcohol distillates you can find at the store may dry the skin, something you don't want in your little one's case.

There are a few others, but either thier use is not widespread, or their use can become confusing/may not be safe for little ones.

Of course, I am not an MD, so I encourage you to do your own research and use what seems best to you.

My 9 year old had luck with freederm in the past. www.freederm.com Last year it was bad and had to go with something stronger to get it under control. I have used A LOT of creams!! She only gets it in the winter and I am sure to put a humidifier in her room to moisturize it, yet if he has allergies to anything else, that could aggravate it. I am looking to use essential oils this year. Check out this website. Not sure if you can use it on a 2 year old, but good info. http://www.amoils.com/eczema.html Also, as another posted...try keeping stress down to a minimum and look into his diet. I am trying to cut down on gluten/wheat....wondering if that could be an issue. Although, hers is really weather weather related.

Good Luck! At one point my daughter had it on her face in kindergarten. Last year, the evil 9 years old yelled out, "ewwww, what is on your hands!!" She came back with, "It's dry skin!" Luckily she was strong enough to say that and not get upset...I felt worst than she did!

Hi there
My son (who is 5 1/2) used to have terrible excema and we started to cut out as many additives as possible and I started to cook food "from scratch" and give mainly just natural foods. I found with my son that any foods that contained coloring, especially the red ones, made his excema much worse. Also do you have any pets, because we had a dog and after it passed away his excema seemed to improve also. This was about the same time that I changed his diet but his skin had already improved with the diet. He is now excema free, has had no outbreaks for at least nine months. Excema can definietly be allergy related. When he did have outbreaks we used Elidel, which is pricey but worked great, clearing the skin up very quickly. I agree with you about the cortisol, our doctor prescribed that also but I only used that when the skin was really bad. The elidel worked great. I would say though call around pharmacies for pricing before you get the prescription filled because the price varied by about $20 between different pharmacies when I used it. My doctor also recommended Amlactin which is an over the counter lotion which can applied daily to help keep skin moisturised. I got it from Costco.
Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be feeling unable to help them.
P.s I also use "All, free and clear" washing detergent which is free of perfume and dyes.

Hey I have mild excema myself and this is the BEST non medicated stuff I've found. Nivea Essentially Enriched. Its a lotion, but nothing like normal lotions, it doesn't evaporate and leave you dryer then before, its got lots of oils in it and it can be a bit greasy for the person putting it on you (my husband complains) but for skin that is extremely itchy and dry, this is the ticket. I think it works better then the prescription stuff from my Dermatologist. My legs get so dry in the winter that they get puffy, red and itch so bad I scratch them until they bleed, so they're sore and scabby. Its a nightmare if I don't use this stuff at least once a day. Best thing about this is you can get it at Walmart or even some grocery stores.

I've tried cortisone cream and it doesn't do nearly as well as this product! Best wishes!

Here's a link so you can get more info about it: (http://www.niveausa.com/products/show/Essentially%20Enric...)

1 / 3