Examples Needed of 5-6 Month Old Menu for the Day

Hi everyone. My daughter is almost 5 months and we've started introducing solids and she's doing great. So far rice cereal, peas & just started apples. My question is once solids are well established - what does the menu typically look like all day for your infant? Including breastmilk and/or formula. She's in daycare now and I'm wondering how much to give for lunch once she conquers some more foods. Thx!

My son was a hungry hippo.
Breakfast: fruit mixed with cereal and then a bottle (8oz)
Lunch: Veggie and veggie or veggie and fruit
Bottle (8oz) in between
Dinner: veggie and fruit, bottle before bed.

I think that's how we did it! He's 13 months now, hard to remember. But it was 2 of the stage 2 meals at each meal for him.

Hi
My son just turned 6 months and I'm wrestling with the same situation. I've giving him some baby cereal but he absolutely hates it- I've given him some soup, bananas, mangos and spaghetti- he loved everything. I'm trying something new - it's called baby led weaning- http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/

I'm not completely on board with the idea so i do a variation on what is within my comfort zone

hope this helps

hi M.,

i am a daycare provider and the food you give her for lunch depends on her apetite. we have a five mo. old who eats a small jar of veg. and some of his fruit. he also drinks 6 oz. of formula about 3/4 of hr. later. but not all children on the same. you can give your provider the veg. and fruit and let them decide how hungry the baby is. usually you can tell and as a provider i know when my 5 mo. old is full. I hope this is of some help to you.

M. s.

Dear M., infants should be breast fed till they are 8-9 month. Mother's milk is so good because it is not processed and fresh. You can supplement your infant's nutrition with other foods. Look for the quality of the food not quantity. The least processed and organic is always better. Avoid as much as possible artificial vitamins. Biodynamicaly grown food has the most life force (energy). Their is a farm in Spring Valley which grows vegetables and fruits biodynamicaly. If you can get a low speed grain grinder you could make wholesome porridge. Twice a week a little meat, (no hormones or antibiotic fed)chicken or other bird is the best. No eggs and honey till your child is 1 year old. You can sweeten with maple syrup or other fruit syrups. This way of eating will give you also the right nourishment.
Love, B.

I used to make sweet potatoes and various steamed veggies (string beans, squashes, broc(can be gassy), carrots) put them in a food processor and then freeze in ice cube trays. When my kids were really little (like yours) I filled the trays about 2/3 full and when the cubes were frozen dumped them into zip lock bags. Then when you are getting ready for work - put two or three different cubes in a nuke-able container and off you go. Yogurt and Monterey Jack (1cm) cubes were good snacks - along with the usual... cherrios or corn puffs!
I did this whenever I went anywhere - every restaurant/deli has a microwave (10-12 sec in high powered microwave is plenty).
Good luck - this is such a fun time! - J.

Easy one is apple sauce, I cooked my own baby food which is actually pretty easy. I steamed different veggie like carrot, sweet potatoes, and pure them with blender or food processer and you put in ice tray, you can microwave a couple and mix with different cereal.

Hi M.
My daughter just turned 5 months on sunday, and by and large this is the schedule she follows:
She usually wakes up around 530 or 600am and decides to hang out in the crib until about 730 or so. At about 730, I give her the rice cereal and about 4 ounces of formula (I dont know how much cereal i give her - but I know I make about 6 oz of formula and use about 2 or 2 1/2 ounces of it to mix in to the cereal.
Then around 11 or 1130am, she gets a container of either peas, bananas, or sweet potatoes along with about 3 or 4 oz of juice (either white grape or apple).
Then around 3 or 330pm, she gets a bottle of formula (around 7 or 8 oz).
Then around 7 or so, she gets a container of either peas or bananas along with about 4 oz of formula.
Then, around 1030 or 11pm, she gets a 7 or 8 oz formula bottle. I'm lucky in that her dad stays with her during the day, so bringing food around isnt an issue. However, though she doesnt really like any foods other than the peas and bananas, I'm hoping as she gets a little older I can add some more diversity. At first she liked all the ones we tried, but now she's more picky.

Hope that helps......
A.

My son was a hungry hippo.
Bottle (8oz) in between

This is what worked for me and my sis:
6am wake: bottle
8-or--9 : breakfast: oatmeal/rice cereal
10am : bottle
noon: lunch (orange veg or green to start. I made my own purees until she was 15mos.
3 pm bottle
6 dinner
8 bath, bottle, bed

Play time is in between the 6am bottle and 8am breakfast.
Nap is usually 3 hours after waking so that would be after the 10am bottle and then play when up and in between the noon lunch and should nap after 3pm bottle. make sense?

1 / 3