Ever Heard of Benedryl for Car/motion Sickness?

I have a daughter who is 3 1/2 we recently realized that if she is in the car for an exteneded period of time...sometimes only about 40 mins she gets sick and vomits. This is getting progressivly worse so I called our peditrician who told me they didn't really know what to do for her but to try Benedryl. I find this a little disturbing b/c I don't see the connection between this medicine and her symptoms other than I guess it would probably knock her out for the ride but that is not what we are trying to accomplish. I also called our pharmacy who told me they couldn't help me it would have to be our ped office to suggest something. Does anyone have this problem and has Benedryl ever worked for you child? We have a 2 hour ride to a b-day party on Sat so I am trying to find something to help her before then. Thanks!!

There is a product called Bonine, you can find it at most drug stores, which is for motion sickness in kids. It works like dramamine. We bought it for a cruise and it worked wonders. Benedryl will just make her tired and sleep throught the trip I seriously doubt it will quell her motion sickness. Good luck.

Benedryl is a sedative, so they won't notice the motion, you don't get car sick when you're asleep. If you have to travel and you know she'll get sick, then you can try this, but realize what you're doing is semi-sedating them. Good luck!!

Hi Lynn,
I have a 7 year old who gets car sick, never heard of benadryl for it. We find that opening a car window near him helps, not giving him sweets near drive time or in the car helps. Also, just in case we carry gallon size ziplocs with a paper towel in each one as a last resort.

Lynn, Benedryl has a secondary mode of action, which is why it has been used as a cough medicine. Our vet uses it for nausea for our dog for her chemotherapy sessions. Just an interesting note, the motion-sickness drug Dramimine is chemically related to Benedryl, and was first tried as an antihistamine. It didn't work well, but one of the patients in the clincal trial mentioned that she no longer had the motion sickness from the trolley cars coming to the clinic.

Benedryl doesn't always make children drowsy, many times it makes them a bit hyper. So I suggest you try it out before that 2 hour ride to see if she is too agitated to be confined in the car.

A good article on motion sickness in children and all available therapies, including alternative:

http://www.cvshealthresources.com/topic/motionsickness

Hi
We have been treating our daughter with Benedryl for car sickness since she was 18 months old, and that was almost 2 years ago.
She got sick in the car EVERY DAY, EVERY RIDE no matter how short or long the ride was. She had severe reflux so that helped make it worse. I was desperate for a treatment, my car smelled, and it was miserable for her too.
Finally, a doc mentioned as a side casual note "you know, a half dose of benedryl often relieves motion sickness."
We tried it and it worked the first time AND EVERY TIME! The half dose did not make her drowsy, either.
I believe it has something to do with their equilibrium and how they process movement in the car. I THINK what she said was something about the natural fluid that occurs in the ears/sinuses, equilibrium can become "off" for some kids. The half dose of benedryl helps lessen that liquid motion, and reduces the motion sickness.
Try a half dose first.. and if it works, you might be able to go down to a 1/3 dose for each car ride. We were able to. and again, she does not get drowsy from it. All i know is that it works and THANK GOD!

I read through the suggestions on here but depending on her reason for the nausea, many of the natural things won't work but do work for morning sickness since THAT is an actual stomach thing, unlike motion sickness.
I found that the contents in the motion sickness stuff seemed just a little more worrisome than the Benedryl, and at the half dose, I really did not notice any fatigue or lethargy and no hyperactivity either.
We have done this every day for almost 2 years and it really is the only thing that works. We have tried to "wean" her from it by going to a 1/4 dose or have forgotten and given her nothing, and she will throw up within 10 minutes. The window being down does help prolong it by a minute or two, but the benedryl has stopped it completely now. Now i keep it in the diaper bags, my purse and i am so thankful for the relief for her sake!

HI,
an old captain on a boat in Australia, told me to put a cotton ball in one ear only, so the inner ear will stop trying to balance, what is, what makes us sick. believe it or not, it works ! there are also homeopathic pellets you can give her without worry, just go to your local healthfood store or Wegmanns, it will tell you on the little plastic container, what it is for .I forgot the name of it, sorry.good luck. Benadryl might work, but I like my kids to stay away from medecine, if there is a natural alternative !

Dramamine (motion sickness meds)are actually antihistamines so it would make sense that Benedryl would work also. My kids both get very motion sick and wrist bands (they have kid size ones in bright colors at most drug stores) work wonders for them. They don't work for everyone but my kids never get motion sick with them on. You also need to encourage her to look out the front window instead of the side windows and make sure her booster/car seat is high enough that she can see out the front of the car. Watching movies or coloring/looking at pictures in the car can also make it worse. Try the wrist b ands - they are excellent!

No reading or electronic games for one thing. Play games where she is looking out the window like "I SPY" or the ABC game. Have you tried peppermint candy to suck on or peppermint gum? Another thing we use is gingersnaps. Make sure she isnt riding on an empty stomach. Those all help calm our daughters upset tummy on car rides. Opening the windows for fresh air also helps. Be sure you have a throw up bowl for the ride and teach her how to use it! Then she will not get vomit on the car or herself.

yes. in fact i take it for vertigo which is dizzyness

Maybe you could try those motion sickness bracelets (I think they are called Sea Bands) that use acupressure points to control nausea and motion sickness. They are natural and drug-free. I even know people who have used them for morning sickness in pregnancy.

1 / 3