Ergo for a Toddler?

Hi Moms! I am seeking that perfect baby carrier for traveling abroad. For those Moms that own an Ergo, do you still use it for toddlers? Would it be comfortable to have a 30+ pound baby in it for day long trips? I am deciding if I should get an Ergo or go more substantial and get a Deuter Kid Comfort III. Any suggestions?

I love my ergo and use it for my daughter who is almost 4 as well as my son who is a little over 2. It is fine to wear all day, but you will get a sweaty back :)
They can sleep in it just fine with no adjustment which I love. My daughter walks most of the time and my son rides in the ergo, but when I took them to DisneyLand it was really nice (once they fell asleep after the fireworks) to be able to carry my daughter in the ergo on my back and then my arms are free to carry my son. It is a lot of weight but it isn't so bad because the ergo supports the weight so well.

My son is 25 pounds and we use both the Ergo and Deuter. I think the Deuter is more comfortable for long walks - it's also cooler for all parties and as a bonus has storage. I use my Ergo in airports, and for shorter walks - like the farmers market etc. It has no place to put a water bottle or snacks. I think you can get an add on product now though for storage, you'd have to look on their website. I use the Deuter for hiking, and walks longer than an hour or so. The other factor is sun. My son doesn't like the Ergo hood anymore so if there is a lot of sun exposure, the Deuter is much better since it has a canopy.

Hope that helps!

My neighbor just traveled w/ 2 kids to Italy and brought the Ergo for her 2 year old---I'm not sure how heavy she is, but I would imagine she's close to 30lbs or more. Mostly her husband carried the 2 year old in the ergo on his back and at times they carried her in the front---for naps. They seemed happy with their choice not to bring a double stroller and seemed to think the ergo worked out fine. Hope this helps!

I only have a 9 month old (17 lbs), but I LOVE my Ergo. I also have a hiking pack (not sure the name) but have yet to use it. I would have to agree with the other posts about not useing the Ergo for hugely long walks...your back etc won'y like it much and niether will baby. Those hiking packs are more meant for long use and storage a few essentials. But the Ergo is pretty small so maybe it wouldn't hurt to bring it if you already have one.

Hi-
We brought the Ergo and Bjorn for our 5 mth old when we went to China for 10 days. We decided not to bring a stroller, as china is not very stroller friendly. I'm glad we didn't have to deal with that issue, but even at 5 mths, the baby got very heavy to carry around all day, and my husband and I are both in very good shape. At this point she was around 12 lbs. Of course, we were walking all day in the heat/humidity, so that may be part of it. I will most likely bring a stroller, or purchase a cheapy one in the next abroad trip, just to have that option. Personally, I would not consider bringing just an Ergo for a 30 lb child. I think it would be heavy, and hard for the child to nap on the go. But it's probably doable considering the other posts.

YES! Ergo is the way to go! We love ours for a 2 year old. He is so comfortable in it!

love my Ergo and it's fine for 30+ if you are wearing them on your back - I think it's super comfy. Only downside is they are close to your body and it may get too warm (i.e. sweaty) during the summer if you are out and about walking all day.

there is a carrier called the patapum that comes in a toddler size.

google patapum

1 / 3