Epidural Problems

I have been told by two different women who delivered at different hospitals recently that their anesthesiologist told them if they had an epidural their first delivery, then having a second epidural for their next delivery could result in lifelong back pain.

They both choose to do the epidurals anyways, and one woman is fine, and the other woman has had severe back pain ever since she delivered her baby over a year ago.

I have never heard of this, but this came from two different Dr.s! Does anyone else know anything about this? My first delivery was relatively smooth, but I had a vaccuum delivery, so I couldn't imaging going through that without pain relief. I already have back pain and am planning on a second epidural in December with baby #2, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Ive had two kids and two spinals. Two different doctors in two different states. The first one went smooth. The second they MISSED 3 times before acually getting in. I think that is what matters getting a good doctor to do it. I have back pain all the time now i feel the jolt from where it missed.

Hi L.! Just wanted to say congrats on the 2nd! Yeah! As well as thank you for the post. Was good info for me as well!

A.

I had an epidural with my daughter back in 2001 and one with my son in 2006 and have not had any problems. I think Dr's only tell you this in case there is back pain.
Hope this helps!

I have never heard of this before. I had an epidural with both of my babies and have never suffered from back pain a day in my life. It probably has a lot to do with the skill of the anestethiologist. I'm not sure if you can choose who does that, but if you can, that would be the aspect to research.

www.GoodHealthMadeSimple.com

There are several risks that come with the epidural that anesthesiologists brush over. I did a hospital birth with a friend and the anesthesiologist on call said she wouldn't get an epidural even if you paid her. She did it all natural. As far as your back pain...I know of a great (GENTLE) chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy and children. Maybe she can help you with the back pain to help you prepare for the hospital birth in Dec (congrats). Dr Cindy is also a doula! Her info is on www.family-wellness.com . They are located in Hurst. Hope all goes well, especially with the research.

I've had 4 deliveries, 3 epidurals and one natural. I haven't had any long term effects from any of my epidurals. From reading what everyone else has said - it may very well be a possibility. There are risks involved any time you get an epidural. Look up the info on the net and you can read more about it. You can also schedule an appt to speak with the anestitiologist (sp - seriously) before hand.

Good luck to you!

--S.

I also have pre-existing back pain but have had two epidurals with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The information I had been told regarding epidurals and back pain is that you're at risk of developing chronic back pain ANY time you get an epidural, regardless of whether it's your first, second, third, etc. You just have to decide for yourself whether that risk (very small...) scares you more than the labor pain :) . I personally chose the epidural twice and things have gone great for me (plus they sped up my labors!!).

E.

I've never heard that. I've had 2 epidurals (both my pregnancies) and have had no problems. I also have several friends who have done the same, also with no problems.

I had a epidural with my first child (15 years ago) and just had a spinal block three weeks ago with my twins and have 0 pain other than the c-section incision and that only lasted 4-5 days, I feel like I am already back to normal as long as I do not over do it but had no back pain what so ever after the spinal block

1 / 3