Engorged Breast After Weaning....

I had to stop unfortunately 2 nights ago, with the last feed.
My breast are pretty engorged specially one.
I used and I'm using the cabbage leaves, cold, and they work, but I still have some pain
Anything else to recommend?
Thanks

Try hot towels..that worked for me. Also continue pumping if you can or squeezing out the milk while in a hot shower works wonders.

Hi, E.. I'm so sorry you had to stop breastfeeding. I also had to stop suddenly for health reasons. The best herb I know for stopping milk production is sage. You can take the fresh leaves, crush them, and make a tea out of them, then drink this two or three times a day. It will bring down production very quickly. You can also make a broth or soup out of the crushed leaves and chicken or vegetable broth; eat the leaves, too, for extra measure.

Cold compresses are very good to help in the process. I don't know personally if cabbage leaves have an effect or not, but the coldness certainly helps. You might try rubbing yam oil on your breasts, too, or eating a lot of yams or taking yam extract capsules. Yams have vegetable hormones that are the opposite of the prolactin hormone that causes milk production, so it could help, too.

I hope you and baby are doing just fine.

Peace,
Syl

I am not that sure that you have this ointment in America but in russia I used ointment named after Vishnevsky on the base of birch tar, very very helpful!it is a pretty old ointment they use it with children mostly with all kinds of injuries and skin irritations it seems to help with everything.

I am wondering if there are herbs out there that can help. I would go into a natural foods store or Whole Foods and ask. I am reading a book called the Green Pharmacy but unfortunately they only cover how to increase breastmilk.

I used to take a warm shower and squeeze just a little of the milk out to take some of the pressure out.

I've read that just pumping a little out to relieve the pressure should help, and will not affect the fact that you're trying to wean.

1 / 3