Endometriosis Advice

I am looking for women that have any advice or suggestions in regards to endometriosis.
I have been to the OB/GYN for symptoms, had an ultrasound to rule out cysts, but was told you can't be diagnosed w/out having a procedure done. It seems like 2 weeks out of the month I feel good, but the other 2 I have some sort of pain. When I have my period I can have excruciating gas pains, it doesn't happen every month, maybe every other. When I am ovulating I have nausea, and pressure when I go to the bathroom. Some months are better than others. Some days I feel like I am losing my mind, but I know what I feel. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

I couldn't believe the responses I received. Thank you. I went to the OB/GYN today and I am going to first go to a Gastroenterologist, because when I have my period and have a bowel movement sometimes there is blood when I wipe. I know TMI (to much info.)
I read that can also be a symptom of endo., but she wants to rule out anything else. After that I am scheduled to go back to my OB/GYN to discuss a possible laparoscopy.
Thanks again for all your help.

I have had my self tested for it. My mom had it, She told me that she would have realy heavy bleeding and very painful times of the mnth. It took my mom years before they would listen to her. I had the ultra sound done and the yearly check up. But they didn't say anything about any other test. I wouldn't give up on finding what is wronge. You know your body and sometimes doc are just idiots.

Have your symptoms gotten beter or wrose since the children? Are you on any birth control. Some doc. will put you on to help with the symptomds.

Best of luck

I was diagnosed with endo about 7 years ago. I did end up having the exploratory laproscopy and the recovery was fast. I have tried numerous treatments including birth contol pills (no effect) and Lupron Depot. Lupron was great but the drawback is it puts you into temporary menopause - hot flashes, bone loss, etc. However, I felt terrific on the Lupron. I did two courses of it over two and a half years. I was facing a hysterectomy at the age of 36. I decided to try to get pregnant and now I have two beautiful children.
The endo is back and I will be deciding what to do next.
The key is to find a sympathetic, knowledgeable ob/gyn . Also check www.endometriosis.org
Gastrointestinal complications are very normal with endo as are cysts and excessive bleeding. I get a lot of pain around my period. Before the Lupron I was unable to digest vegetable and fruits. It can be quite miserable but there are many of us out there who have it and you are not alone.
A.

Hello. I am actually sitting here today. My first day out of the hospital since getting a hysterectomy. I had endometriosis. The symptoms are normally painful, heavy periods, pain during intercourse is a big one and mine got so bad that it was constant. A dr. cannot rule out endo just by doing an ultrasound. This does not show up on ultrasound he/she would have to go in with a laprascope to find it. Mine was found during my Novasure procedure, which failed and that is why I am sitting here now recovering from surgery. Also, don't let one dr tell you it is not. Some drs don't like to diagnosis endo so make sure you get a dr you are comfortable with and get someone that is thorough in his/her work.

A., I know how you feel. keep going back to the doctor. he will sooner or later listen to you. i had cervical dysplasia at 21 yrs. hysterechtomy at 30 yrs. and endometriosis and also overies started to turn cancerous at 32yrs. they took them out FINALLY.i complaned for 5 yrs from age 25 to 30 when they finally did sonograms then liproscopic surgery.then had to have major surgery to get uteris out. it was 3 times the nomal size. so my advice is if your doctor don't listen after a while (GO TO A NEW ONE) you know your own body. GOOD LUCK-(M. S.-MOTHER 41YRS OLD.5- CHILDREN AGES 26-16 YRS. AND 3 GRANDCHILDREN 16MONTHS -4MONTHS OLD.

I have endometriosis and some months are better than others like you say. It is basically when tissue builds up on the outer lining of the uterus. When it gets severe enough the tissue can start to build up on organs surrounding the uterus causing more problems like intestinal issues and such. You will notice the most flare ups around the time of your period. You can do things like go on birth control but there are sometimes added cons with doing that like health risks and weight gain. I would research the disorder and weigh out your options. The bad thing is, if you have it, you really should find a treatment plan for it and stick to it. I also have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and I use Metformin therapy. It seems to do the trick because it regulates my hormones which in turns keeps the formations of the cysts to a minimum but I have also noticed that the endomitriosis has not gotten any worse since I started treatment.
Just keep communication open with your doctor and remember that they are the proffessional. If you don't trust that one for any reason, find a new one! It's your body, take care of it!

hi A.. im sorry your not feeling well. can i ask you... does it cause discomfort during intercourse? i had some similar problems and mine definetly have interferred with my love life. i find it odd that your dr cant do an ultra sound. they can pick up on some signs with an ultra sound and then do the laparscopy later if needed. the procedure you are talking about i believe is a laparoscopy. its an outpatient porcedure. i had one done last year at the same time i had an episiotomy revision after child birth complications. i was out for the entire surgery, but i think if you are only having the laparoscopy, they may not put you under completely like they did me. i was sore from my episiotomy. but not too bad from the laproscopy. during the procedure, my doc found some adhesions on my fallopian tube that she said was maybe contributing to my pain. no signs of endometriosis though. it was pretty easy to recover from that. my belly button was sore for about a week. the only thing i had a hard time with was the meds. i couldnt really take them and still care for my then 3 month old daughter. and the soreness was difficuilt in my abdomen for a few days if i held her and she kicked me or something. but since your children are older, maybe you wouldnt have to hold them or pick them up for a few days? also, since last year they have found ovarian cysts and ueterine fibroids, which can also cause pain and heavy menstral cramping, and abnormalities with bleeding. mine are small and dont require surgery yet. sometimes they just go away on their own. just make sure they rule these out for you. mine were found by a pelvic mri and then later confirmed by ultra sound. i wish you luck. i dont have endometriosis, but i have had my share of complications in that area. so if you need someone to talk to, i will definetly have a sympathetic ear! hope you get well soon!

My doctor thinks that I have endometriosis because I would get menstraul cramps so severe every month that I would be in the er getting shots of demeral and morphine. I was told that I could have a procedure done or that I could try the depo prevero shot. My doctor informed me that the depo shot thins the lining of the uterus and is a good step in treating endometreosis. I chose to start recieving the shot and have not had any problems since. My menstrual cycle has stopped completely and I have not had a single cram since. This may be something you would want to discuss with your doctor. Good Luck!

I had severe endometriosis and was finally diagnosed with a laparoscopy procedure. It is not bad and they lasered it out. It helped for a while but because mine was so bad it came back. I had the procedure done several times and also went on medications to stop my periods. I went through infertility to have my daughter and then ended up with a full hysterectomy a year later. I suffered extreme pain 3 weeks out of the month and also had bouts of IBS as well. I would definitely advise you to have the lap done. They go through your belly button and your a little sore for about 2 -3 days.

1 / 3