End-of-year Craft Ideas for 2Nd Grade Class?

Hi Mamas,

I'm hoping you ladies can help come up with some clever craft ideas. The room mom for my daughter's 2nd grade class asked me if I had any ideas of something the class can do during their end-of-year party...a craft idea of some sort. They already decorated cookies for Valentine's Day, so we don't want to do that again. I'm kind of drawing blank when trying to think of something fun for them to do. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Things your kids have done in class in past years that they really enjoyed? Any input would be greatly appeciated! Thanks!

My favorite web site for these things is familyfundotcom. It has a corresponding magazine, but you don't need to be a subscriber to utilize the web site. I have gotten lots ideas for crafts for the classroom and cute things to do with my kids. (I'm also a fan of the magazine, lots of ideas for vacations, parenting tips that parents send in, etc.)

I taught 2nd grade for many years and my students loved making mud cups........crushed oreo cookies or if you want sand cups....crushed graham crackers.....alternating layers of pudding (chocolate or vanilla depending on the type of cup) then put in gummy worms....and finally a mini paper umbrella if you want. The kids loved working together to crush the cookies and to make the pudding.

They could create and decorate a summer journal/calendar for collecting the amazing moments of their summer.

Create a monthly calendar for each month or weekly calendars, and writing pages for each day. Add a page for each wk that is a pocket (folded piece of paper). Give each child a front/back cover and either hole punch and lace it up or staple it all together for them (after THEY build it).

They can decorate the covers while others finish. They could draw things that they already know they are going to do.

As a teacher, I always give my students summer homework...something for every day of the week...fun-ish stuff, like . ..
- have a play date and share a piece of fruit with a friend, -sit in your yard in the early morning and listen to all the sounds. Make a list.
-Watch a sun set, write a poem.
-find three objects and make up a game that uses them.
-try something new
-play with someone you've never played with before
-do something to help someone else.

The list goes on and on, but there is a place for them to record about each day.

S

One of my favorite crafts from my childhood was when we made “stained glass” vases. We took torn up pieces of tissue paper and decoupaged them onto glass jars and bottles with regular white glue. Then we made flowers out of pipe cleaners to put in them. I think we did this as a mother’s day craft.

Hi D.,
My idea has to do with food. All you need are cupcakes not decorated, blue icing, teddy grahams, gummy life saver rings and paper umbrellas for drinks. Yep you got it! Just frost the cupcake blue,(doesn't have to be smooth), put a life saver ring in the middle of the cupcake with a teddy graham in the middle of the ring and finish it off with a umbrella behind the teddy bear. (umbrella optional, but very cute).
I hope this helps you. Have a great time!

D. : )
Rescue, Ca.

Making bees out of a spool (or other cylinder) and pipe cleaners is always fun. The kids paint the spools yellow with black dots. Black pipe cleaners can be coiled for the head and others can be used for wings, legs, etc.

Hi D.- Here's a fun one. Magnet frames. We took puffy self stick shapes on pre-fabbed foam frames with magents glued to the back and the kids could stick whatever decor- glitter, markers, puffy shapes- to the frame. YOu can also do this with wood popcicle sticks and buttons and beads and glitter. While the kids are decorating, have them line up to take pictures- or do a class photo. They can be printed out (digital) or do polaroid (if you can still find them) and stick the pictures to the back. It's fun, sugar free, and they can take it home and place it on the fridge.
Another idea is mini seed pots- get the little 2 or 3 inch pots, an easy growing flower/plant seed or herb, and some dirt, and have them put it together. They can decorate the pots if they like (beads, glue, stickers) and take it home and put it on the window sill. Make sure they get a card with instructions on plant care.

Hope these inspire you to do something fun!
-E. Mc.

Hi D.,

Have everyone come dressed for a LUAU and do Fruit-ka-bobs on a straw :O)

You can bring music and a limbo stick and that's all you will need :o)

~N.

Buy a cheap Bingo set and play bingo. I bought small prizes or created "goody" bags with gum and candy. You can play as many games as you want.

1 / 3