Emergency Info When Leaving Kids in Care of Someone Else?

My husband and I are going on a much needed weekend get away without the kids. I'm trying to make sure we leave everything for their caregiver that might be necessary. I will leave medications and dosages for each child (Tylenol and Motrin), pediatricians name and phone number, hospital preference and letter to authorize treatment in our absence including our cell phone numbers. Am I missing anything?? I'm sure the kids will be fine while we're gone but want to be sure we cover all of our bases.

Here is a great web site to visit for the things that should be on a babysitter emergancy list. http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/babysitter.html

Also include:
- contact info for your closest relative or guardian (just in case, God forbid, something happens to you)
- copy of health insurance card
- where to find your hidden extra set of house keys
- neighbors name & contact info
- where to find fuse box, water shut off and a plunger!

Enjoy your trip!
-

I'd add their birthdays, weight, and age to the list. Medication is often given by weight to children which someone babysitting wouldn't know. Also, I'd leave Children's Benadryl b/c if on the off chance they have an allergic reaction the dr might want a Benadryl dose given at home. Also, I don't know who you would check with, but the authorization to treat may need to be notarized.

If you have someone, just as a a precaution, Leave the name and number of a close friend or family member in the event your babysitter has an emergency and needs backup.

if you have pets leave the vet info too!

Poison Control Center number and your physical home address (if that's where they're staying) that the caregiver can reference in a time of stress. If there's a 24 hour nurse line or anything you use, leave that. It's also always nice to leave a list of food delivery options and if they can drive your children, nearby places the kids enjoy playing and eating. Of course don't forget to leave your contact info (even though you may not want the person to use it ;-)

I make a copy of the front and back of our insurance card along with each child's social security number. Our daughter suffered a nearly fatal accident while we were away once and so insurance card necessary as she was in ICU.
Have a wonderful time on your get away.

Another thing you might consider is to leave a list of immunizations that your children have received. Specifically, when was the last tetanus shot? Also, I would include a list of all medication and or food allergies that my children have. If there were no known allergies, I would also leave that info with the caregiver. I would also leave the name and phone number of another emergency contact number if you can't be reached.

You may also want to include
the name and phone number of where you'll be staying
name and phone number of relative/close friend that lives nearby
weight of child (for medication, dosage s/b by weight not age)
any allergies

Have a great weekend!!!!

1 / 3