Embarrassing but at My Whit's End - Itchy Feet Are Driving Me Crazy!

Hi ladies. Okay this might sound really odd but the tops of my feet are driving me crazy. Please note: it is NOT athlete's foot, not a fungus, and there is no obvious evidence of dry skin. Every day when I get home and take my shoes and socks off (customary in our home) I spend a good 1/2 hour just scratching the tops of my feet. Not between my toes, but the entire top of my foot and sometimes the tops of my toes. On occasion, I also have the same itch on my palms, though at a much lower frequency - regardless of whether I've just washed my hands, used lotion or not used lotion, come in contact with any oils or chemicals at work, or just had a leisurely day at the house.

I thought it might be shoes that were too tight (I am required to wear a slip-on shoe that covers the entire top of the foot at work) but then I bought brand new shoes that are very roomy at the top of the foot and I am very disappointed to find that I still have itchy feet.

I googled itchy feet and the first thing that came up was that it is a symptom of diabetes. :(

Has anybody else had itchy feet (that want to make you climb the walls) that is NOT from diabetes (again, not athletes foot)? And better yet, has anybody had a problem with itchy feet that IS from diabetes? This has been maybe 6 months off and on, not every day but I finally googled it today after having bought new shoes a week ago and having this dreaded problem return! Arrrggghhh!

Thanks ladies!

I to have this problem. I am still looking for answers. I know this is no help to ou but I hope that the responses that you get will help me too. Good Luck.

There is a disorder called cholestasis which deals with the liver. It causes itching. From what I have studied it usually starts in the feet and palms and then spreads to other areas. I had it during my last pregnancy I think due to a dysfunctioning gallbladder that I recently had removed. This itching doesn't cause anything like hives or bumps since it is internal from the blood stream. Good luck!

I have been having an "itchy feet" problem since my last pregnancy (my child is now 16 months old). My problem is at the bottoms of my feet though. It's bad when I wear socks or anything that makes my feet sweat. But it's ESPECIALLY worse after I get out of the bath/shower. It drives me bananas because it usually lasts for about a half hour. I also had the itchy palms thingy too (that has since been gone)! I did tell my OB/GYN about it and he acted like it was no big deal (but then again that's how he reacts to every problem).

While I don't have an answer for you (I'm sorry), the "diabetes" thing raises a red flag for me. You see, during my last pregnancy, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My wonderful OB/GYN has since tested me for diabetes in December and will for all of my future check-ups. He said my blood sugar was normal. So now that you mention that you researched this on the web, it makes me wonder. Are you pre-diabetic as well? If you are, get your blood sugar tested and I will also seek a second opinion. God bless!

I have had other parts of my body itch. It could be eczema which is caused from allergic reaction to something. It could be the soap you use, shampoo, laundry detergent you wash socks in, etc. I suggest make changes to all of these and see if it helps. Arbonne has botanical shower gels,shampoo. The skin conditioning oil is wonderful to help stop itch. CK out web at www.successfromtheheart.myarbonne.com

Probably not the case, but have you by chance recently gotten a new pet? I am slightly allergic to cats and one of my main symptoms is itchy hands?? Just a thought. Hope you get it resolved.

Hmmm....
Could you be allergic to your laundry soap?

I think the diet soda thing warrants some thought, and I would see the Dr. just to be safe.

Probably not much help, but good luck!

~K.

some times trying simple things can help.
If you have a small empty perfume bottle fill it with
hydrogen peroxide. Before going to work spray the top of
you feet. Then one or twice doing office hours spray them
On arrival home spray them.
If it does not work try putting a copper penny in some vinegar for a couple of days then do it with the vinegar.
God Bless

Hi, I would definitely try washing your socks at least in a sensitive skin laundry detergent. That could definitely be the issue. Since your feet sweat it is probably compounding the issue. If that isn't the issue then look into the other things mentioned, but I would try this first.

1 / 3