Eloping

My fiance and I were planning a big "to-do" for this summer, but with all the stress of organizing things, we've decided to "elope" next month. We've informed our immediate families and are still planning to have a barbecue reception this summer, just want to have the ceremony be private and about us, since we want to get married, not just "have a wedding". Has anyone eloped or know anyone that has eloped and if so, any ideas on how to make it special without just standing with a JP? Do churches do people who just want to get married?

Thanks everyone. We're planning for either the 28th or Mar 17th, since we have to order our rings. We're going to talk to some churches this weekend and see if we can have it be just us and our girls and a good friend of ours. I appreciated all the info, I'm glad we're not odd-balls.

Hi K.
Yes I eloped and wouldn't change a thing. We went to city hall and got married. Then we went to dinner and spent 2 nights in Cape Cod.Just being married to the person you love and the feeling you get, is worth it. I would not change anything.When we got back about 2 weeks later some close friends and family had a little reception. It was perfect. Oh Ya by the way My 24 yr. old daughter eloped this past May.She is also happy about their desicion.

Hello.
First of all congrats. Not just on getting married but on doing it YOUR way. Alot of people I talk about going away but get pressured into sticking around. My husband and I got married 3.5 years ago in the Bahamas. We went to Breezes which is all-inclusive so the wedding was basically included. We got married in a gazebo on the beach - it was perfect. We had about 40 friends and family with us but you don't need to do that. If you did something like this you could incorporate a honeymoon into your wedding. When we got back we had a party so the people here were happy. It was so great - highly recommmend it. Check the Breezes website for the wedding info and rules (you have to be there for 48 hours before the ceremony). Keep us updated!

Hi K.

Hi and Congratulations!
I just wanted you to know that either way you have your wedding~it is all about you and your hubby to be (unless you have that crazy uncle that likes to make a spectical of himself or an overdramatic mom/mom-in-law). But in most cases, I feel, it is better to regret the things you have done, not the things you haven't.

There are some places you can have a quiet, intimate wedding~
small or large. (One is the Cathedral of the Pines, in Ringe NH. It's an outside cathedral and absolutely beautiful, there's also a church). If you wanted all of your family and friends there, you can still have the wedding and to save some financially, have the reception be at the bbq you spoke of.

I'm sure any church would allow a small wedding (why wouldn't they?)

Anyway, have fun and be happy with your choice~you're the only one you have to please (and your hubby to be in this case, I guess). Good luck! =)

Hi K..
Have you and your fiance given any thought to being married by someone close to you? In the pink pages of Brides & Modern Bride Magazine, there are a ton of ads in the rear of each publication - the pink pages. I can't remember the exact name, but this organization can 'train' someone to legally marry you and fiance. Is that the 'special' you might have been thinking about? Let me know how it goes.

There are plenty of churches that will let you have a JP and use them to get married you need to call around to the churches. I used a presbatarian (don't know if i spelled that correctly) church in Nashua, with a JP. Also try Uniterian churches. The churches also will charge you.

My husband and I got married @ our house in the middle of a snow storm! (The snow storm wasn't expected)! We had just our closest friends and family there and had a small dinner after right at home. We hired a JP and she came to the house with no problems! You can go to your local town hall for a list of local JP's. Good luck! :)

My husband and I eloped 7 years ago this coming March. We hired a JP and had it at her house (it was sooo nice and she even decorated it for our special day). Only my imidiate family and my husbands mother were there (we got married on a friday because it fell on my fav aunts birthday who had passed away from cancer).

We took everyone out to dinner at a nice resturant and my sister even made us a wedding cake, which we ended up sharing with the serving staff at the resturant.

Then in June, once it was warm out, we had a huge party at my sisters house. We invited all of our family and friends and had a barbeque.

One of my BFF just 'eloped' two years ago in Jamaica. Her and her hubby met on line but their first vacation (and where they really fell in love) was in Jamaica and my husband and myself where their witnesses. It was just beautiful and let me tell you why, despite societies pressure to have a big wedding just to say "I want to spend the rest of my life with you, I love you", they were where they wanted to be with who they wanted to be there! Congratulations

1 / 3