Electric Company Pay Back What You Lost in the Fridge Becuase of Power Outage?

Anyone hear this rumor? I can send my electric company a letter detailing what I lost (because of Irene knocking out the power) and the approximate amount and they'll reimburse me the money? Cause I'm going to send them pictures if this is true! HAHA

I'm on day 3 of no power and told it could be at least another 4 days. I'm going to have to empty the fridge tonight which may cause me to cry again. Sigh, at least I can put it in the girl's baby books as having survived.

Thanks everyone, hubby said this tidbit last night and I had to just check it out.

This was my first hurricane (though I keep getting told it was only a tropical storm when it hit CT) and boy oh boy, I don't think I want to do that again. We had my daughter's birthday party Saturday night and I tried to give as much as possible away but no one wanted it in their fridge when they lost power. :-)

Thanks ladies, at least my family is safe, stinky since we haven't showered, but safe.

Depends on the company. Back in Feb PEPCO had this offer...kind of.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/weather/lost-power-you-may-be-...

There are a lot of restrictions, though. I wouldn't have my hopes up.

No for a couple of different reasons.

First they didn't cause Irene.
Second, there is too much greed and dishonesty among the public. Every pound of 70/30 hamburger would become ground filet mignon. Every chuck steak would become a ribeye.

Too many people would feel their dishonesty would be justified because of electrical rates.

BTW, I saved about 80% of the meat in my freezer by smoking it.

Good luck to you and yours

No, but, homeowners insurance may. You will have a deductible to meet and most people dont have thousands of dollars worth of food inthe fridge. Probably not worth the time.

No, not in a million years.

It is covered by your homeowners insurance but if I were you I wouldn't make a claim.

Your homeowners policy should cover this...not the electric company. Call & ask your agent.

No, I don't believe its true. I've been through similar outages and that was never part of it. That's why they tell you to prepare for no power so that you don't stock up the fridge.

If you had damage to your house and are filing a claim, you might ask them about it.

I seriously doubt it.
When we moved into our new home the power company replaced the wooden pole in the corner of our property and left the old pole laying there on the lawn.
I called them about it and was told their old pole was not their responsibility.
My husband was like "Well whose friggin pole do they THINK it is?" - the power company's NAME is on it.
I finally had my husband tie it to the truck, drag it across the yard and we cut it up to form a flower bed.
You'd think pole replacement and old pole disposal is just a cost of their doing business.
Nope. Disposal's been cut - they don't do that anymore.
There's no way they are going to pay for the contents of your fridge/freezer.
In future you can:
1- get a generator and plenty of fuel to run it on.
2- start cooking/eating before the storm gets to where you are
3- load up your freezer with ice (freeze rinsed out milk jugs - it takes block ice forever to melt) - a full freezer keeps it's cool longer
4- have a eat-it-before-it-goes-bad cook out party where the neighbors get together and cook what they have on propane grills (our neighborhood did that when Isabel came through and power was out for a week).
5- try to double bag spoiled meat. It's going to stink like you wouldn't believe, draw flies and there will be lots of maggots if they can lay eggs in it.

No. It's not their fault. The hurricane was an act of God.

Not here,. Especially if it is because of the weather,.

1 / 3