19 answers

Elective Induction at 39 Weeks?

So I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant with my third child. Today the doctor said she could induce me at 39 weeks if I want as my first two were inductions. I'm torn about what to do. Obviously I realize I don't "need" to be induced and she is not at all pushing me, she just said it's an option to think about and we can discuss at my next appointment.

A little background:

With my daughter (and first child), I was one week past my due date and my blood pressure started going up so the doctor recommended an induction. I went in on a Thursday afternoon, she was born on Saturday morning. No problems or issues during the induction, it just took a long time.

With my son I had A LOT of problems during the pregnancy - contractions, bleeding, off and on bed rest 3 times. We thought for sure he would be born early. On my due date, I started bleeding again so I went in to see the doctor and she recommended inducing because of the bleeding and all of the prior problems. The induction started on a Sunday morning and he was born that same night. During the birth, my pubic joint separated and I was in a walker for a week and then had several weeks of physical therapy. I had planned on a natural birth with my son and even though I didn't completely get my wish, I was still able to avoid an epidural and pain meds despite the induction.

This pregnancy has been very uneventful, except the pubic joint issue has started up again - considering what happened with my son, it's not that surprising. I've started physical therapy again which is helping somewhat. I know that the pain won't totally go away until after this baby is born.

Clearly an induction is a medical intervention. One the one hand I'm leery because I don't want it to lead to something like a c-section (especially since this is probably my last child and with 2 children at home I have no time for that kind of recovery). On the other hand, I've been induced twice and both went fine (the joint separation had nothing to do with the induction, my son just had a big head!) and it would be nice to be able to plan for when I have the baby.

I realize some of you might try to blast me for even considering this, but I'm actually trying to carefully weigh my options which is why I'm asking what other moms think...blast away...

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Thank you so much for all of the supportive responses! I do have a lot to think about, but I think I'm leaning towards induction. I will talk to my doctor about this again in two weeks and ask many of the questions that were brought up here. After thinking about it, the induction wouldn't be completely elective - the doctor brought it up because of the pain I've been in with the pubic joint issue and as a way to give birth to a slightly smaller baby. She hasn't checked this baby's size, but those measurements aren't completely accurate - they thought my son was about 7.5 lbs when he ended up being 8 lbs, 9 oz with a head in the 90th percentile! Also if I'm induced I don't have to worry about getting the doctor on call because she'll schedule the induction for a time when she is on call and she's already very familiar with my situation. She's already suggested a few labor positions I should be in to avoid further injuring the joint (I'd rather not have to explain this to someone else). In addition, she did say she'd only want to do the induction if my cervix is ready, she'd want to let nature take its course if it wasn't.

Featured Answers

I don't think anyone would blast you for this when it might be a medical intervention. I am going in for a c-section the week before my due date so that I can get my tubes tied at the same time rather than going through a v-bac. That's far more selfish of me than what you are having to go through imo...

More Answers

Normally, I would say to do an induction just for the convenience of it is wrong. You should let your baby come into this world on their schedule, not yours. However, in your case with your pelvic bone issues, I would weigh the options of the SIZE of your baby. How large does your doc think baby is?? If baby is already an 8 pounder or close, then I would consider inducing a week early when baby might be a bit smaller so as not to do more damage to your pelvic region. Just my opinion though.

2 moms found this helpful

If you've done it twice before, why not do it again...if for nothing else, your peace of mind?

I asked this same question, when I was awaiting the birth of my 3rd child. But unlike you, I had to previous UN-induced births...so this was all new territory to me. I never did follow thru with the induction, and my son was born at 39 weeks on the day my induction (that was cancelled) was scheduled for.

I would say go for it, if it is what you want. Just being able to plan and put your mind at ease will do wonders for the remainder of your pregnancy and during your labor. Most important...don't stress. Try to enjoy these last few weeks! Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful

I hope no one "blasts" you for considering this...you've had a tough go of things! If I were you, I'd do it. It's no guarantee of an easy delivery but I doubt you have any higher risk of doing this and having a c-section than you did with your other two births.

Both my kids were born at 39 weeks and there is nothing wrong with them! I don't think my daughter ever would have come out if they hadn't of gone in to get her, she was in no mood to be born! (she was breech, so I had no choice, but she was pretty content in there!) ;)

YOu do have two kids at home and it absolutlely would be nice to plan the delivery, I dont' see anything wrong with this option, especially since your doctor brought it up and can see how it might help you with some of your medical or impending medical issues. Do you what you feel is right, but don't feel bad if you choose this option, you are totally justified!

1 mom found this helpful

I'm not sure if you are asking to get approval or if you are asking because you don't want to induce. First of all, if anyone blasts you for such a personal decision, they are wrong. They are not in your shoes and have no right to judge your decisions.

You are 35 weeks. Is your baby measuring big? What is the reason your dr is suggesting induction? Is it based on your history only or does the dr feel it is the best solution?

If induction makes your life with two little ones easier being able to plan and you are comfortable with it, then do it. This is your pregnancy and your day-to-day life. If you on the other hand feel the need to try to go into labor and be surprised by when it happens, then do that. Personally, I would go with the induction based on your history and your convenience. I'm a planner... :-P Believe me, however the baby gets into this world doesn't matter in the long run as long as the baby and the mama are healthy!!!

Best of luck and prayers to you!

1 mom found this helpful

Every pregnancy is different. I think if a medical reason comes up (as they did both times before before) where induction is indicated, then you will do so again and should be fine. If no medical reason comes up, I'd be inclined to let nature take it's course.

1 mom found this helpful

I can completely understand why you would consider it. Every mother late in pregnancy want the waiting overwith, and it would be nice to plan the birth. However, I would still advise against it. God has the right timing for this child. Let the baby come, don't force him/her out. You don't know what the baby may need from you that he/she won't get if induced at 39 weeks, but God does.

1 mom found this helpful

Hi JR. Three of my deliveries were inductions. Three were not. I highly recommend letting the baby come when he comes. And, I also had that pelvic issue with my last 2. You cannot deliver in the lying down on your back with your feet in the stirrups position. It could cause permanent damage for you. You should deliver sittting up, kneeling, squatting or something like that. Your knees should stay as together as they can. Talk with your doctor about this. It is very important, although less convenient for her. I had #5 sitting up sideways on the bed on my knees. Baby came out quickly and my pelvis was immediately better. With my 6th, I squatted next to the bed. She came flying out on the first push, and again, my pelvis was immediately better.
About induction, you are right that it can lead to c-sections. It doesn't always. None of mine did. But, I think they are more c-section prone today than they were 10-15 years ago. Is this the same doctor you had with your other babies? What is her c-section rate? What about c-section from induction rate? I would find out those numbers. Also, find out what this particular hospital's policy is on how long you can go once induced. They tend to get more antsy about the timeline than they used to be. It costs money to keep you in when they have other mothers ready to go also. If it were me, I would never do a non-medically necessary induction. And, I would have to be VERY convinced that it was actually necessary! I am very much against them now, personally.

Tough decision. I guess I'd wait it out a bit unless there were concerns or some surface. Best if your body progresses naturally. Every person and pregnancy is different. I've known people w/ inductions (especially not the first babies that went perfectly!). I ended up w/ two c-sections, and although not my 'choice' all went fine. Recovery really wasn't so bad! With my second, I had a c-section and was also caring for a 17 month old in a body cast - we made it through! Good luck and congrats!

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.