Elderly Home Repair Assistance

Hi everyone,

My grandmother just turned 80 a few days ago. She lives alone in the house she raised my mother,aunts and uncles in. Needless to say, its seen better days and could use some repairs. She doesn't get medicare or medicaid. All she lives on is SS which isn't much and she still works 1 day a week at the same job she had when she was 18 [which is cleaning houses]! I hope to be that nimble when I'm 80 =]
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs for the elderly to help with or lower the costs of home repair? She lives in South Haven,Michigan if that helps. Thanks you in advance for anything anyone has to offer!

I would call some churches in your area. I know our church does volunteer work and they always respond to people who call and are in need. Just ask if they would consider coming to help your grandma out for the day. Most churches do volunteer work and would love to help someone like your grandma. Good luck!

Try asking your or a Church.
In my State, there are some Churches who have outreach programs which does home repairs for the elderly. Free of course. And they don't try to preach to you. It is just to help, That's it. No obligation.
It is volunteers that do it.

Here's a link: (which I just found doing a Google Search)
http://www.faithinactionmi.org/south_haven_seniors/index....

So, try seeing if any outreach programs do that in your area.
Of course, if anyone is there to fix your Grandma's home.. .make SURE you are there too... to supervise or make sure she is safe. Because you never know "who" among the group of helpers/volunteers... are nice or not. And many Elderly can be victimized too.

All the best,
Susan

I don tknow about Michigan but here in some on the town in Central Texas the HUD and the city get together and have a program where they loan low income "elderly" at a reduced rate. They have rules - such as they cant sell the house for a certain number of years, or rent it out or have someone else move in with them. If the cost of repairs is $30,000 the home owner is responsible for 10% I think over 3 years or 2 years so the payments are low.

Call they City of Killeen here in Texas and ask them the name of their program and tehn call up in Michigan and see if they have something similar and if not - it might be something worth while for them to look into.

Updated

There is a city program in my city where volunteers go and do "handyman" type chores for seniors, such as building a wheelchair ramp etc. Doesn't sound like your grandmother needs a ramp, lol, but I would try calling city hall and asking the receptionist. You could also call her local senior center. Most of the time, the city is the best place to start as they can give you a referral to the organization you need. Good luck to you and your grandmother!

1 / 3