Eight Yo Daughter Developping Breast Buds!

My daughter, who is in third grade, has developped breast buds! Have any of your daughters started developping this early? How long before the rest starts? I am so not ready for this...

Thank you all for your responses! I did find a book for her at Bath & Body Works that explains it all at her age level and she was excited to get it. After reading it she wanted to start shaving her underarms/legs (!) so I checked and nothing there thank goodness! My MIL said she started her period at age ten so that has me worried too. My daughter loves bras, though, and has wanted one since she was three!
Hopefully we have quite a few years before IT comes - only time will tell I guess.
Thanks everybody!!

I know this is frightening, but I started developing early also...I believe I actually started my cycles when I was 10 1/2. It's becoming more and more the norm for children to begin developing early. Another case in point, my son's half-sister is 9 years old and she's also developing breast buds already.

My daughter is 6 and has breast buds. I took her to the doctor and he told me that it's normal. The girls are getting younger and younger. He also said usually after the breast buds start they will begin pubic hair in 2 years and start their period in 4. Hope that helps. I did not make me feel to much better because it just means my little girl is growing up.

My niece is 9 and had started to develop breast buds early at 7 1/2-8yrs old. Hers were caused by too much hormones due to an overdose of the "growth hormones" in milk and dairy products. She LOVES dairy products. But, her pediatrician cut her back to one glass of milk a day--or the 1/2 pint at school. If she eats cereal for breakfast, she can't drink the milk off of it now. It's helped slow things down for now.

If you read anything by Dr. John Lee - you will find that this is all too common in the USA. My Hispanic friend was appalled that young ladies were starting their mentrual cycles at around 8 or 9 in this country.

Dr. Lee says it is too many hormones in their bodies - specifically too much estrogen - also considered by one school of thought to be the culprit of breast cancer in our later years.

The research has been solid enough that I don't use bleach (causes estrogenic activity in the body), try to buy hormone free meat, do buy hormone free eggs, do not microwave in plastic, have gone to safer home care and personal care products (that work better and are less expensive by the way) to name the main things. Canada even tried to ban the sale of bleach because the research of estrogen and breast cancer connections were so strong.

My daughter was raised in a healthy home - not purist by any means, but healthy. She started her cycle at almost 15...and from what Dr. Lee teaches...that is healthier all the way around. That is a common age of the past...thus the huge Hispanic celetration at this age for young ladies...she is becoming a woman.

Dr. Lee has died :( but he spent the last years of his life trying to educate doctors that too much estrogen in the body is the culprit for many whoas women have - PMS, menopausal, etc. It's out of balance with progesterone and that's the root of the problems.

I'm assuming the book you referred to was "The Care & Keeping of You" from the American Girl library? That entire series is wonderful. My almost-10-year-old received that book from a dear friend when she turned 8 & she carried it around for months.
My daughter prefers the "sports bra" types for everyday wear - playground @ school & gym days ... saves the "pretty" ones for church, special occasions. Seems to help keep her comfortable.
Another book that has helped us w/"Body Discussions" is "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie H. Harris & Michael Emberley. That one is much more in-depth, w/lots of illustrations. You may not want to just hand it to your daughter, but I go over different areas of it WITH mine - answering her [many!] questions along the way. Hope this helps!

Hi - sounds like we are in the same boat...and worrying about the rest of the ship coming in. My daughter just turned 9. Last year when she turned 8, she was already developing breast buds and then she started getting VERY crabby about once a month, too. I was a basket case thinking she would start having a period ANY DAY, and I was NOT mentally prepared to explain "life" THAT in depth to my 8 year old.

Anyway, her pediatrician said (not to be too graphic, sorry ladies) that she will start developing "coarse" hair on her private regions and that's one good sign that she is going to start having a period soon.

I also have had a couple of moms tell me that underarm hair is the BEST indicator. (So now I check my daughters arm pits frequently :) They have said when underarm hair starts growing, you have 12-18 months until IT comes too.

My thoughts are with you. Living it myself!!!

C. B

I began developing breasts when I was in second grade, and was completely through puberty by the fifth. I had a precocious puberty.

I would suggest that you buy her a book about the body's workings and read with her. Remember that she might feel "dirty" to start wearing a bra so young - sports bras might work better then training bras at first.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me. It's been awhile, but I still remember what it was like to go trough it.

My daughter started developing at eight also. She is now 11 and has not yet started her period. We watch every day. We are concerned about what kind of protection she should use once she starts. After watching Oprah yesterdy, we learned that tampons can get stuck. At this young age girls are not mature enough to wear tampons.

Well.......I am afraid the news is not good. I know exactly what you are experiencing! A week after my 8 yr. old turned nine she started her period. I was so in shock! Not to mention how she was feeling.

Hi - my daughter who is also 8 (almost 9), in the third grade has breast buds ... At her 8 year check-up the pediatrician let me know about it. I thought it was quite early too and am also not ready for it. But she did not seem to be alarmed or concerned that it was too early.

Hang in there ... it will be alright ... our girls are growing up.

That is all very normal. My 9 year old step-daughter started developing last summer and we started her off with a cute little sports bra. That didn't last long by this summer she was in a "real" bra and began the growth of pubic hair. I was not ready for that considering her 7 year old sister still acts and looks so much younger(she can still wear 5T cloths)and my nine year old can wear some of my shoes. That just shows how different two kids can be. Studies show that the average age to begin menstruation in 1997 was 12 years old and I'm sure that has gotten even younger since then because of our diets. I know it sounds very young, but me and the girls mom have already talked to my 9 year old about what to expect when she gets her 1st period. We didn't want her to be scared when it happens. Even though we both hope it is a few more years before that happens but you never know. I hope this helps to know that you are not alone and that your daughter is doing what no mom wants to see their little girl do, growing up so soon.

1 / 3