Egg Free Cake Recipe for One Year Old Birthday

Hi moms,
I am looking for a yummy birthday cake/cup cake recipe for our one year old daughter's birthday party. Any recommendations? I am looking for recipes without egg since we haven't introduced egg whites yet into her diet. Thank you.
H.

My daughter was allergic to eggs for years and then grew out of it so we got used to using applesauce as a substitute and it makes cakes very moist. 1/4 cup applesauce equals 1 egg. You can also use 1 tblsp vinegar, 1 tblsp water and 1 tsp baking soda as a leavening agent instead of 1 egg. Good luck!

You can substitute 1/4 cup applesauce for an egg in most baked goods.

My son is allergic to egg whites.. we used Banana instead..

I have a great book called the Art of Vegan Baking. My daughter is allergic to milk, so I highly recommend it to people looking to bake without dairy or eggs. I have made many recipes in there and they are all delicious! For eggs, she often uses an egg replacer that you mix with water. You can buy it in some grocery stores in the natural foods section. You can also use flaxseed whipped with water in a cuisineart. Banana can also work as an egg replacer.

Here is a really yummy no egg cake recipe! One of my family's favorites!

Texas Sheet Cake

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup water
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream

ICING
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP milk
3 TBSP baking cocoa
3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water, and cocoa to a boil. Remove from the heat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt, add to cocoa mixture. Stir in the sour cream until smooth. Pour into a greased cookie sheet (15 x 10 x 1). Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Icing:
In a saucepan, melt butter, add milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm cake. Cool completely on a wire rack.

This is way back when my child was 1 year old; I don't recall her eating her own birthday cake at one! :-)

my son has an egg allergy. I have found you can substitute egg in any recipe with a product called Egg Replacer. They sell it at Whole Foods.

My older daughter has an egg allergy, and we usually use an egg substitute we buy at Harvest House in Concord. It works really well for the most part, although it tends to work best in from scratch recipes. However, a friend of mine recently found a dairy-free, egg-free cake recipe for Wacky Cake that makes fabulous cupcakes, and is from WWII era so doesn't require any out of the way ingredients. You can find the recipe at the very bottom of her Aug. 9 entry at http://holdthecilantroplease.blogspot.com/ . The cake also freezes really well (which I find a godsend because now I can make a batch and have them ready for when we're going to friends' birthday parties.) Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your little one's first birthday!

1 / 3