Education for Children with Special Needs (Autism)

I have a child whom is within the MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools)school system but am seeking out another school. At this time he is in a confined Autism room. His teacher is very sweet but is not trained to be the head teacher in this room..I know this because she told me what her education background is. At this point I feel he is going to school only to be babysat. Another question I have does anyone know of after school activities for special needs children in particular am looking for exercise for him, but keep in mind he is considered to be "high functioning" in the autism spectrum.

The YMCa used th have after school programs for special needs children. I haven't gotten any of their phamplets lately, sorry!! I know there is a website, too, for autism and it has local get togethers for families with autisitc children and that they get together, meet at the par together, etc. It was in the Parents magazine a few motnhs ago. Wish I could be more help, I'll see if I still have the article. Good luck. N.

I also have an autistic 9 year old. Move to Altoona!(Next to Eau Claire) They are great here! They don't have a formal autism program but, they do wonders for my son. My son is also high functioning. There are after school programs for kids like your son. I am usually home with him after school during the school year. Then during the summer I put him in a center that offers activities. Where we live they have hand in hand. They offer care and activies to all kinds of kids. My son has made lots of friends through this program.

Hi B. - My name is J. and I have a 7 year old son diagnosed as being on the Autistic Spectrum somewhere. What has been recommended to me is the Metro Milwaukee Easter Seals Kindcare Program. They have various locations. I was looking at something for over the summer for my son. They do have a web site: eastersealskindcaresewi.com. Good luck with your son.

Hi B., I know all too well how you may be feeling. Both my boys ages 3 (almost 4) and 5 are Autistic and at opposite ends of the autism spectrum. Our oldest is moderate to severe and our youngest is on the mild end. We live in Lakeville, which we found out after we moved here, received the grant for the Autism program. We could not ask for a better program for our boys!!! Our 5 year old is in the Kind. program and I'm nearly possitive they go up to second grade in that classroom if they are not ready to be mainstreamed yet. The teachers are absolutely wonderful. The difference in our boys since they are here is just amazing. I have started a support group here in Lakeville for parents that have Autistic children, Team Mom, so please if you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail me (____@____.com). I'm sorry I don't know of any other schools that may be in your direct area. I could see if the Autism coordinator for the Lakeville schools may know of any. Pacer, The Courage Center and the MN Autsim Society area also wonderful resources! As far as exercise and activities, have you tried swimming for him? I was nervous about it with our boys, but it is such a wonderful sensory activity for them, that they become little fish!! (-: We belong to the YMCA and they love it.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I can only imagine how full your day is with all you are doing. Best of luck!!!

Are you familiar with Alan Greenspan? He has a great program for PDD kids- called Floortime. There is a program at Froedert called PINT (pediatric neuropsychology) that told us about the program. We opted to be trained and do Floortime ourselves at home, but they told us there are programs locally. It was a miracle for us. Good luck.

PS- I would skip the babysitting at school. "No child left behind" hasn't really worked for our special needs kids in the way we would hope. The school system still will provide some services to you if you move to another school.

as a mom of a special needs child, you need to make yourself completely aware of the "No child Gets Left Behind" act and what your rights are.
the first person to call is the Special Education Director for the school district. they will have information on who would be the best teacher for your sons needs. and if your son needs to be transported to another school for that, the school district must provide door to door bussing for him (per the NCGLB act).
but be persistant. you would not beleve how much pull you have until you start actually pulling
I am still going around in circles with Waukesha schools for transportation for my son since his Daycare is 1/2 mile outside the school district.

Hi B.,
Try going on to www.fraser.org -they may be able to offer you and your son some kind of assistance and guidance.

I don't have experience with this first-hand, but maybe I can help with the afterschool situation! I am a consultant with Usborne Books at Home. I have learned, through other consultants with autistic children, that our books are great for kids with autism! They include fabulous illustrations, small bits of information and activities - that would be the great thing for after school! You can visit my website, www.ubah.com/g2687, for more info, or contact your local Usborne Educational Consultant to see the books firsthand. I hope that helps!

1 / 3