Eczema Not Getting Any Better ...

Hi moms,
I have a 20 month old boy that has had eczema since he was a baby. It's mainly on his legs, arms, rear end and back of the neck.. ok, almost everywhere. Well we have tried a lot of different products and they only help temporarily and come back as soon as we stop using it.
I have tried: Cetaphil, Aveeno, Aquaphor (currently on it), use Dove unscented soap, has 100 % cotton bedding, ...
I don't think it has anything to do with food or the detergent that I wash his clothes with (ALL unscented detergent). Recently his ped recommended to use 2.5% hydrocortisone for 1 week and then continue with Vaseline or Vani Cream. That whole week that he used the hydrocortisone, his skin was like a baby, SOFT and no bumps. And best of all, he wasnt uncomfortable, but as soon as I took him off the hydrocortisone, eczema came back.
I really don't want to use anything stronger on him for longer periods of time because I don't want his skin to be sensible to it.
What product has worked for you guys that you didn't have to use permanently?
I know I will always have to keep his skin hydrated with creams, but I don't want to have to worry about his eczema so much
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

Hi, my daughter has the same thing and what's worked for her finally is Vanicream, from walgreens, it's over the counter, and it takes some time, she was allergic to aquaphor(lanolin), and this works well. It's lanolin free and fragrance free. Good luck.

Try infant acidophilus from the health food store or wholefoods, it's in the refridgerator section. It takes about two weeks to see a difference but it significantly helped my baby when he had eczema on his face. The lady at the health store told be that it is a sign of allergies and that acidophilus helps to increase the healthy bacteria in the stomach and combat skin reactions.

He has an intolerance for gluten. Remove it from his diet. His symptoms will disappear and you won't have to use the creams.

What doctors don't tell you is that Ezcema is systemic. It works from the inside out. No cream will help if the toxicities in his little body are not removed. Unscented detergents are still ladened with synthetic chemicals that absorb in the skin. Dove unscented soap is also toxic. Just because it is better than say, Dial, doesn't mean it's good. My Dad had ezcema ALL his life, 87 years, and when I learned all this we got rid of it....forever. He's 92 now and his skin is like a healthy baby's skin. We put him on an absorbable multivitamin (absorbable is a MUST) and started using non toxic products for him and around him. The detergent is the big thing as is the soap. His diet was not too bad but bad enough to not allow the skin to heal. The nursing home where he lives actually uses him as the "show" patient for care as he's a picture of health apart from being bedridden.

Please don't use the cortisone cream or the vaseline. They only exacerbate the problem. Cortisone will relieve symptoms temporarily but will add toxicities as well as weaken his bones. (Yes, even topically, steroids decrease bone density and lead to osteoporosis. I know, I was a young victim) Vaseline clogs the pores and is simply a diesel byproduct that adds grease not moisture. There is a lotion I can recommend that will give him comfort as well as heal from the outside if you want something topical.

Please don't give up hope.I've seen it completely healed. It's fixable. I've seen it over and over. Please get in touch with me if you want more info or specifics. Nobody wants a little one to suffer.

God bless,

As other posters have said, you need to take a closer look at all the cleaning products in your home. Unscented laundry detergent is a start but you also need to nix the fabric softener - they are the worst, worst, worst. Use vinegar where you'd place fabric softener (for the whole family not just baby's clothes - he leans against your shirt, right?). not only will he not have a reaction to vinegar, vinegar helps to remove any soap residue left in the clothes. do a double rinse on all laundry (or at least anything related to baby). also consider trying a different unscented detergent - I cannot tolerate Tide in any form - instant rash. All free and clear works well for our family. Also NO dryer sheets.

My son had mild eczema when he was younger, he still gets it on occasion if we're not vigilant. He does really, really well on California Baby Super sensitive shampoo and body wash. he cannot use anything else except aveeno baby (even children's organic shampoos cause a flare up). eucerin cream (not lotion) was the best for outbreaks.

Green up the rest of your cleaning supplies. best would be to move to vinegar and baking soda for most everything and not use commercial cleaners at all. Remove any plug in air fresheners, don't use a spray either (my son has a horrible reaction to these). no one who comes into your house regularly should be wearing anything with a scent (no perfumes, colognes or overly scented hair sprays, etc). you need to probably look at what is used on your hair and body until you have this under control (i.e., use the same cleansers you use on him or burts bees, etc).

also, this is a systemic reaction - antihistamines are good for getting the reaction under control to start with a clean slate - talk with the doc about the best one to use. for my son, a few days on zyrtec was much better and faster than any topical steriod for getting rid of an outbreak with fewer scarier side effects. hydrocortisone creams are NOT the answer - they will thin the skin with repeated use.

you do need to look at food (although this wasn't my son's trigger). dairy tends to be the big one and I would consider taking him off all dairy for one to two weeks to see if things improve.

you need to be seeing a dermatologist; pediatricians tend to treat the symptoms not the cure the problem.

good luck!

Try Florasone. Got it at Pharmaca, but could probably find it other places. It is like Cortisone, but is not a steroid cream.
Our son has same skin issues and we are pretty sure it is not a food allergy. This stuff works. Good luck!

Coconut oil is an anti fungal. Get the extra virgin kind that looks like lard in the jar. It melts at 70 degrees so when you apply it, it will melt with your body heat.
Coconut oil is so, so, so healthy for you! He is old enough to eat a little off a spoon too, because exzema starts internally and then comes through the skin. So, oil on the outside and oil on the inside.
Avoid any product with petroleum or petrolatum, these products don't let the skin breathe, and only hydrate short term. Plus it's very bad for your body.

You can change detergents, because ALL could be irritating him. Even though it's unscented, he could still be sensitive to the chemicals. I recommend Charlie's Soap. It's amazing, and absolutely the safest detergent I have ever used. Try making your own cleaners to eliminate toxins from your home. I love the book, "Green Up Your Clean-Up". It has great recipes and tips! I also recommend the brand BioKleen over any other brand. I buy some products online at www.vitacost.com You may even be able to get the coconut oil there too. I recommend Nutiva or Tropical Traditions.

You could also try cutting certain foods out of his diet. Wheat is a HUGE allergen and exzema is often a result of wheat or dairy sensitivity. Some people don't have a sensitivity to wheat or dairy individually, but DO have problems with wheat and dairy combined.

I hope you find exactly what works for him! Good luck!

Hi sorry to say but diet plays a major role in eczema, you can search the world for creams and lotions but until you change his diet they will all only be temporary solutions. Sugar, preservatives, colorings, flavorings and possibly wheat all contribute to eczema. Try modifying the diet for 1 month and you will see. You will also see great improvements in temperament. Make sure to give mostly whole foods, fresh fruit and veg and try no wheat just rice or gluten free pasta or quinoa is amazing. No packaged foods and limit cheese. Apply pure extra virgin coconut oil to the skin. Good luck

I use products from Melaleuca and they really work! Check out this link for their Renew products. http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/Product.aspx?sku=1735.
If you'd like me to send you a PDF, please contact me with your email address. I'd be happy to send it to you.
You can also request information from this website: www.SwitchingStores.Info and I will be happy to contact you personally.

So sorry about this. We too had a struggle with our younger daughter having eczema. Her pediatrician suggested hydrocortisone cream and yes that cleared up the rash, but I knew that it was only covering the symptom and not getting rid of the cause. As mamas are saying here, what shows up on the skin is a response to an imbalance or upset that is happening within the body.

Finally we discovered that our daughter's little body was reacting badly to gluten and so we removed gluten from her diet and the eczema disappeared. I feel lucky because I know it isn't always this straight forward. She's been a gluten free girl for a year and a half now.

I've heard that sometimes people grow out of these sensitivities. Every once in a while we've let her eat a little gluten and within a few hours she's scratching her skin; so we're sticking with gluten free for now.

Very best to all of us!

I agree - milk or something he is eating may be the culprit (was in my son's case). We changed to formula as a baby and rice milk vs. cows as a toddler. He's 3 now and can drink milk with limited reaction. What finally helped was a steroid cream - however, it will continue to come back if he keeps ingesting whatever is causing it. I'd talk to your ped about the potential cause and ask about the steroid ointment (prescription only)

1 / 3