Eczema in 8 Month Old

We found out my son had eczema when he was 7 weeks old hes now 8 months old and its not getting better.I have tried everything his doctor has told me to do(i only use dreft laundry detergent,no dryer sheets,we only wear 100%cotton,aveeno baby products nothing with alcohol in it on his skin,cetaphil lotion that i cover him in 4 times a day!)since its got colder outside his flare ups have gotten way worse.so i took him back to the doctor and he put him on elidel which he said they don't normally prescribe to kids under 2 cause i guess it can sting? he also put him on Mimyx.my question is does anyone have a child on or ever been on these meds? did they help? i asked the doc about taking him to a dermatologist he said they don't normally take babies this young cause alot of times they grow out of it which is great but how long do we have to wait? i know it bothers him cause he scratches himself raw sometimes even with the lotions on!im just frustrated cause i don't want my baby to be in pain! any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
thank you,
I.

I have excema and so does my niece.. I have the 3 A's. I use Arbonne nothing else has ever worked for my niece or myself. It is all botanically based and I have known people who can't use anything else but Arbonne.. www.passion4more.myarbonne.com or www.arbonne.com to learn more. The baby line is all I use on my kids or my niece. What is nice is people don't even know my niece or I have excema. It has healed it!! Yes if I go off the products about a month later I start to see signs but I don't have to lotion 10 times a day to keep it down.

I actually have the same problem, personally. I have at a patch on my leg for about a year. The truth is the itching makes it worse no matter what you are doing. Try keeping the spot covered.
i know it easier said that done. I am 32 and keep myself from itching it.

My son has a slight case of eczema and I found that Aquaphor works really well. Also you could try Shea and Cocoa Butters for soothing and for any scars. Best wishes!

Hi I.. My little one has a mild case of eczema, not as bad as you are descibing. We have dealt with it since he was like 2 months old. He just developed it when day and the doctor just told us to keep the spots hydrated and eventually he would grow out of it but if it got worse the last result would be a prescription. I have adult eczema myself but I only get a spot now and again, but I use Eucerin for it. I tried it on little boy but in the cream version (I use the lotion version for me), and it helped. I have tried different products since like Aveeno which I didn't notice any difference and Gentle Naturals which I think works pretty well. My little guy doesn't seem bothered by the spots, not like they itch or anything which can be a characteristic of eczema and his gets worse when he is in the sun or heat. I would say if your child has that severe of a case there is something else going on like an allergy. The things is allergy tests are not commonly given to children under two... but I believe the name of the test is PAPST (or something like that) so I would definitely ask your doctor to get a test done. Since it is getting windy and cold outside make sure to his face covered because eczema babies are likely to get windburnt which will make his eczema flare up. My little guy is 14 months now and his eczema seems to be getting better. My guess is that eczema is not as common with two year olds are up. Just a guess but you might want to research it and ask your doctor. I hope something I said helps a little bit. Another thing - whenever I mention allergies to our doctor is kinda short with it like we shouldn't be looking at that right now... if your doctor is like that - be persistant, after all you are his mother and know what is best, you are with him more than your doctor and obviously are more intuned with your child's particular case.

-J.

hello I.,
i hope that your son is doing better and i hope your doing well also!! i know how you feel as well. my son's excema came out at about 5 or 6 months of age and it was of course the winter months. my doctor had him on elidel but took him off of it after hearing of some bad side effects. we did the cetaphil and the lotions and vaseline seemed to help the best. i wouldn't even really dry him after his baths and i would start to rub the vaseline on at the end of his bath. i know you have to be very careful because it can get slippery. i just have towels everywhere. he has a breakout every couple of months and i use cortizone cream and lotions and when its really bad i use a steriod perscription ointment. it will usually get better within the week it says to apply it on them. i also let up on the baths every once in a while but during the winter it's actually good for them if you are moisturizing them during or right after the bath. i think the trick is to dry their hair and then start the vaseline right away and have everything ready to get them dressed. i know it's seems like they are freezing but it is better for them. i wish you all the best of luck and i thought my son would outgrow, but it has been better!! i'm so sorry you all have to go through this and i hope you find somethig that works for you and your son!! take care and your in my thouhts and prayers!! have a great day!! :) K.

Check with your doctor, but the main therapy for eczema should be topical steroids except on the face and then elidel if used sparingly. And lots of moisturizer. Excema doesn't cause pain so much as itchiness. Again, check with your doctor. If you are worried, any dermatologist should see a baby. They are trained to do so. They may or may not add a great deal more to your therapy.

This is a really challenging problem. My godson had the worst eczema I have ever seen. His face looked gory all the time. The reason that elidel is not prescribed under 2 is that it can cause dwarfism.
For my godson and many babies, the cause is food allergies. I suggest you find a good food allergist. Dr. Sherri Tenpenny is very active and helpful in this area.

HI I.

I have struggled with this with all 3 of my kids. You typically do not need your doctor's permission to see a dermatologist although I would also recommend a pediatric allergist. He is probably allergic to something you are not catching.

My best friend has been aquaphor ointment. Expensive but very effective. my son has been on hydroxyzine(atarax syrup) since he was an infant to relieve the itching.

You know your child better than your doctor and if your insurance allows, seek other medical advice.

I., I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this - it's hard when something's not right w/ our babies and we have to play detective to get to the bottom of it.

Though your son's eczema might be caused by something else, I'll share with you what our experience was. I have an almost 9 month old son who from 3 weeks old onward had horrible eczema on his face. At first I just thought it would go away, like baby acne or something. But it got worse, more red, more crusty. Our ped suggested lotion, too, then hydrocortisone + lotion, then maybe some other prescription topical lotion... but my gut told me that lotion wasn't going to fix it. We tried the lotion, but nothing prescription, and I kept reading things and asking around. Finally I read about food sensitivities & allergies, asked my ped about eliminating dairy (one of the biggest culprits) and he said it certainly couldn't hurt to try that. Well, it turned out that my little guy was (and still is) allergic to cow's milk protein (milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, anything w/ casein or whey in it). I breastfeed my babies, which meant that *I* had to cut *all* cow dairy out of my diet - and I did so starting when my son was 5 weeks old (and now he's almost 9 mos) - and his face cleared up within a week, his sleep improved *drastically* (more than 20-30 minute stretches, able to be put down while sleeping) and he became happier and much less fussy. [Stop reading here if you don't want to hear about baby poop!] His pooping improved, too - before he was explosively gassy w/ sometimes green and mucousy poop, and he just seemed uncomfortable (bunching up, seeming crampy) a lot of the time. I was pretty surprised that dairy was the culprit - my daughter had no problems (and I breastfed her, too) like that at all.

Again, I have no idea if cow's milk dairy is the culprit in your case, but food allergy in general is certainly worth looking into. Sure, it's a bummer to have to give up cow's milk products, but it's really worth it --> it's *so* much easier to parent my baby when he is not reacting to dairy. He's really much, much happier & healthier. Even though I miss my yogurt and ice cream (I love dairy!), I remind myself that it's such a short period of my life (a few years at most) and my son has a much greater chance of outgrowing the dairy allergy if I don't expose him to it (either through my breastmilk or by giving him anything w/ dairy) until he's 18 mos or 2 or 3 yrs old.

Also, a note about most (but not all!) pediatricians and pediatric specialists - it's worth it to ask about dietary modifications, elimination diets, etc., FIRST instead of going right to prescription medications. Why? Because if the problem is food, the prescriptions would just try to alleviate or mask the *symptoms* not actually correct the problem itself. For allergies, the key is to *remove* the substance from the diet so that the intestines, skin, etc. can heal. But a lot of folks just want something fast, like a cream, to fix it - sure, it's tougher to dig deep and find out if it's food, but in the end I think it's worth it.

Anyway, for more info, check out Kellymom.com which is a fantastic, evidence-based site that provides information and resources for breastfeeding moms who have babies w/ dairy or other food allergies:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html

Hope that things get better soon, that you are able to find some good answers, and that your son's eczema goes away!

Hi I.,

My children have had little bouts with eczema, but my good friend has had a huge problem with eczema! Her son is 2 and has problems with eczema since birth. I called her and this is the information that I got from her.

She HIGHLY recommends going to see a dermatologist. Tell your doctor that you would like to have a second opinion. This is your child and you have the right to see someone else. She takes her son to a dermatologist in Cincinnati named Dr. Ann Luck at the Christ Hospital. You do have to have a referral to her. The first thing she said is DO NOT USE AVEENO PRODUCTS. The only product she uses is DOVE soap. Also use AQUAPHORE overtop of the prescription that you are putting on your baby. This can be purchased at Walmart, and she suggests getting the big tub for about $14.00. For the itching she gets a prescription called Aterax which is a liquid form. But Benadryl also works for itching. Her doctor highly suggests Benadryl for itching. There is also a website alled Eczemaclothing.com that will give you good ideas for clothing for the baby. She use to put tube socks over the babys hands (after he went to sleep) to help with the itching. She also used pajamas that snapped in the middle so they could not itch the skin.

Eczema goes hand in hand with food allergies, allergies, and asthma. My friend sees a breakout on her son when he has something that they later find out he was allergic too. Since your baby is 8 months old are you trying new foods? This may be an indication that he may be allergic to something.

I hope this all helped, and remember BE FIRM with the doctors. It is your right to see a specialist. I persisted with my daughter and I'm glad I did because she was misdiagnosed for 9 months.

Good luck and let me know if any of this helped.

N.

1 / 3