Eczema in 2 1/2 Year Old

Hello moms, my son has been battling eczema for the past few weeks now. We've been to the doctor once and the doctor suggested doing some at home treatments at the moment, and if they didn't work, to come back for possible steroids. Has anyone else had to get their children steroids? What were the side effects? Would you recommend it? My doctor suggested the at home treatments due to his age. She didn't really want to do the steroids because he is young (he was also getting over a cold at the times too). Any help would be great!

I am going to have to agree with the allergy thing...my daughter's cleared up after being taken off of dairy and gluten. She is also on a daily probiotic (fluorigen, which we open the capsule and put it in applesauce) and on omega 3's as well.

I just had an Arbonne Party and the consultant said that there is a "baby" line that is used on sensitive skin that worked for her two children that had eczema. I am going to try it on my son who is 3 1/2. They have a wash, lotion, and oil. I can give you contact information for a rep if you are interested in trying it.

Hi J.!

My 2 year old has eczema as well. I belong to a wellness company that has awesome body cream that has worked wonders on him!!! If you are interested in the company just message me. S.

I do this:

Give my daughter a bath, and put Generic Eucerin Creme from Walmart comes in a tub like container costs $4dollars. I slap it on her super thick and don't rub it in all the way but leave it goobed on good. Then I put footie pj's on my daughter and zip her up. Pajama's keep the mess contained and let the lotion really sink in good. By morning she is as good as new.

For tough areas that this doesn't work we opt to use the steroid creme's but sparingly and occasionally. We haven't had any side effects.

my son is also 2 1/2 and deals with pretty bad eczema. I used to get away with using Aquaphor, but lately his allergies have been making it act up so badly he looks terrible. His doctor prescribed him a mix of Aquaphor and Hydrocortisone, and it has worked wonders. You can still see a bit of a rash, but it has improved tremendously. Also, we use Dove for sensitive skin, and free & clear detergent (no dryer sheets).

Hi J.
I would not give him steroids if you can help it. I have this lotion that works wonders on eczema it is called auruoa you can find it in the health food stores. I would use that but eczema is usually always a sign of some sort of food allergy so I would have him tested. Good Luck T.

My 1 year old son has eczema pretty bad on his legs and feet and sometimes on his arms, back and tummy. I use bath oil after his bath and then I use udder balm whenever I change his clothes or his diaper. Right now it is wonderful and barely noticable. With winter being gone, it should help clear up. I also notice that making sure he gets his regular baths through the week helps too. You can get the udder balm anywhere where they sell farm animal products like Farm & Fleet or Nasco (I'm not sure where you live - I didn't check). Udder balm is used for cows for milking. I've used it before for chapped hands and lips - it works great! There is also a cream form that looks more like lotion if you prefer that. You don't need to wipe it off, you just rub it on like a lotion and it really helps your hands too especially during the winter dry months (first winter my hands weren't constantly chapped and bleeding since I just rub the excess on my hands). Wish you the best of luck.

Our daughter's eczema is soooo much better after we started giving her omega-3s (fish oil) every day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/health/research/28regi....

and here's the full study
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/12...

talk to your doctor about this! I'm assuming that your son is having widespread chronic issues - both my boys have had minor but persistant eczema issues, and it was the chronic low-level skin infections that go along w/eczema that kept it from healing. I know this solution might a little horrifying, but it ends up being far more dilute that a swimming pool . . . I have been worried about antibiotic resistance, with the amount of bactoban (mupirocin) that we've been through over the years. Talk to your doc! Good luck!

I hate the thought of you having to give your little guy steroids. Have you thought about switching your laundry detergent? We use a brand called MelaPower. It's available from an online wellness store. They also have a cream that works better than Eucerin at moisturizing the skin. One of the girls I work with has a son who suffers from eczema, and she said this is the only line of products she can use for her son that keeps the dry skin away. Let me know if you'd like more info.

Getting him on a probiotic and also fish oil/Vit E will help his immune system tremendously. Since we live up north and don't get a lot of sun, I'd also think about giving him some extra Vit D. And I'd buy these supplements ONLY at a natural/organic whole foods store.

I agree with Becky; it's amazing how many problems our body has with allergies and other internal problems that "pop" out on the skin. I'd take him to see an Integration Doctor and have him tested for food allergies (I'd start there first; environmental next, if nothing's found).

My Integration Doctor did the ALCAT food intolerance test on me. It cost $199 and tested for 99 different foods. I discovered I have a ton of food intolerances. Avoiding them has done wonders.

My son was about 3 months old when he started to develop eczema. We worked with his regular dr. who suggested over the counter lotions and body washes and suggested changing laundry detergent, all of that. It became terrible (covered almost his entire body, and some of the spots were oozing, he couldn't sleep, etc) when he was around 9 months old, and we brought him in to a dermatologist, who put him on topical steroid creams. We used those for a few months and it completely took care of the problem. The majority of the problem cleared up right away, and then it took a little longer for the patches in his elbow, neck and knee creases to heal up. He hasn't had to use the creams in at least 6 months. We saw no side effects - just a comfortable baby... finally!

My two littlest boys have eczema. We use 1% hydrocortizone cream on the patchy spots and after bath before they get out, I use a ton of fast-absorbing baby oil and rinse off the extra with the bath water. It works really well for my boys.

My daughter also has horrible eczema. We used all sorts of prescription and nonprescription creams. The only one that helped but didn't get rid of it was eucerin. We eventually eliminated dairy from her diet and like magic it was gone and hasn't returned.

I do have another friend whose daughter had the same problem. It turns out that she was allergic to eggs and peanuts. When she stayed away from these the eczema was gone. She has since outgrown her allergy.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

We also have a son with eczema and allergies (he is almost 2). Our doctors said to try vanicream lotion and robathol bath oil. The lotion works far better than eucerin, although is around double the cost. The bath oil is used almost like a body wash, where you put it on and then rinse it off (or you can use it like a bubble bath). Once the skin is healed from the breakout, you can just use the lotion and only use the robathol once a week or so. This has helped me, my father, and my son get rid of our eczema outbreaks. You can buy it either at pharmacies or from amazon. We swear by the stuff.
http://www.psico.com/

Hi I was watching a little boy who is also 2.5 years old and he has it really bad now, his mom has a cream to put on it at night that was a prescription. I work for a company called Melaleuca and they have a wonderful lotion that is suppose to help with that called renew but its not something you find in the stores these products have no chemicals and non toxic so the lotion is good for anyone. I gave a little bottle to his mom to try.
I wouldnt do the steroids either at his age there certainly is a cream they can have you try or something else that may be a prescription so stronger stuff. Contact me if you want to try that lotion, good luck to you!

I feel your pain and your little ones pain! My son had eczema issues since he was a couple of months old. We ended up using a steroid cream on him and it cleared up right away. Prior to that we tried many different things but it ended up with steroids to get it cleared up. We used it as little as possible, and had it cleared up. We would use it for flair ups as well. I haven't seen any side affects on my son who has since out grown the eczema (I can't remember the last time he had a flair up) He is know almost 5 years old - we did have him tested for allergies at the same time when trying to elimanate factors contributing to it and we did learn he was allergic to cats and dogs (which we had one of each) we were able to keep them and like I said he out grew it.

I trusted my peditrician being a 1st time mom and he did not throw steroids at my son until the end when we had exhaused all other venues.

We use this and it really seems to help... http://www.aveeno.com/baby/index.jsp#/product-by-line/soo...
I also rinse his laundry an extra time.

Good Luck and I hope it clears up for you!

I just want to add support to the "get tested for food allergies" camp. If your doctor doesn't support it, get a new doctor. Dairy was behind much of my son's eczema. And I was amazed to learn what else he was allergic to.