Eczema - Dallas, TX

My baby has always had eczema, I have a steriod cream I use when she has really bad episodes and inbetween I slather her with aquaphor. Ever since she has been wearing shorts and t-shirts it seems to be getting worse and nothing much seems to help.
Then yesterday, my daycare lady gave her baby yogurt (did not know until after she gave it to her) and her eczema became very red and inflamed, she also got little red bumps on her legs and face. in the past her eczema did not seem to bother her much but she has been scratching it lately and today she has a really bad patch on her arm and she scratched it until it bled (I kept trying to make her stop, but she was in her car seat and I was driving!).
So I have three questions......
1) could the yogurt (dairy) have caused her eczema to get worse, if so does this mean she is allergic to dairy? She is on a milk based formula, should I consider switching to soy (she is 10 months old and should be transitioning to milk in the next two months)
2) what is the best treatment/lotion/baby wash/etc for eczema
3) what should I do at her age to aleviate the itch?
I feel SO bad for her, I have always had skin issues so I feel for what she is going through.

Thank you all so much for all the great advice. The pedi did not think it was the dairy that made her eczema worse, but thought it could be something in the yogurt she ate. So we will just practice with foods and see what makes it worse! My friend sells the arbonne line, so she gave me some samples to try, it sounds like a really great product.
Thank you again

I used Oil of Olay's shea butter body wash. In fact, that's all we use in the house. It has really helped my son's excema.

I also use Aquaphor, Eucerin, & Bath & Body Works' body cream. All that cream really helps soften up my son's skin. I also use Elidel. I used to use the steroid cream, but I was frustrated that I couldn't use it every day. Now I use Elidel when it gets really bad, and it goes away after a couple of days.

If none of that helps, then I would go to a ped dermatologist.

The Arbonne baby care line does wonders for my little girl with eczema! I use the wash and lotion daily, and the oil if she is really bad (like if I forget to do lotion one day). It has really helped her a lot! The last time she had an eczema breakout was when I ran out of the wash and used something different until my order came in. It is very gentle, I have used it on her since she was a small baby...I also use it on my 3 1/2 yr old. Try it...you will like it! And, IMO, its better than slathering a steroid cream on her every day. As far as the itch, I would put lotion on it as often as possible until it clears up.

My son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and soy. He had horrible eczema! Once diagnosed with food allergies, avoiding these foods has made a world of difference for him with his eczema. Environmental factors can also be a problem for my son, but the foods definitely are an issue.

They can prescribe a topical ointment that is a mix of steroids with an antibiotic. This helps when they have scratched to the point of bleeding.

Since the eczema was something that was already a problem before the yogurt, it is quite possible that your daughter does have a milk allergy. Nutramigen is an allergen free formula that you can try. It is expensive, but so worth it!

Best of luck to you! I would recommend talking to your doctor about this. If you need an allergist referral, let me know.

My daughters excema got horrible around 10-11 months old. She was on a milk based formula and breastmilk as well. I slowly weaned her off the formula and her rash got much better. She still gets flare ups some. Also, I know this not for everyone,but I give her a childrens fish oil supplment. When I forgot this for a week recently her rash was awful. I researched and found that skin problems in general can often be a sign theres a lack of essential fatty acids,thus in her case the fish oil helps. Nordic Naturals makes a childrens one that both of my children enjoy.

Hey M.! I have been there, done that with my now 9mo old. When he was about 3 mo, we finally brought him to the Dr and she told us his red, dry, bumpy spots were eczema. We tried everything from they hydrocortozone and aquafore, ucerine, etc. They just seem so thick! and just cover the spots. Around that time, i became a consultant for Arbonne International and switched over to their baby care line. We have not had a bout of eczema since!

I do know that certain foods do cause eczema--dairy! It may also be from clothing material or chemicals in your clothes detergent.

If you are interested in the Arbonne Baby care line, please contact me. I will be more than happy to send you some samples.

God bless,
S. Woods
Arbonne International
Independent Consultant

M.,

I have the same problem with my daughter. unfortunately it's a game we will play for a while.Have her tested for all food allergies as well.

My pediatric Dermatologist prescribed Mometeson cream-body and a protopic-face and bathing every other day with Cetaphil soap and lotion.

T., Morgans' Mom

HI, I know what your baby is going through. I am 27 years old and have had eczema since I was 2. I have the worse case that my doctor has ever seen. Milk definitly can be an aid in your babys eczema. I was allergic to milk and even had to have orange juice on my cereal instead of milk...no ice cream nothing. I am not sure what you are doing now but you should try limiting her bath to 2-3 times a week. Some peop0le are giving baths every day and to a person with eczema this is very painful especially if you have open cuts just the water alone burns. What kind of laundry detergent do you use??? The ALL free and clear works great but don't use any dryer sheets since those make you itch too. I have heard great things about the arbonne but have not used it. I would look at all your ingredients for lotions and such and not use anything with lanolin in it. Lanolin is a sheep derieved product and if you are allergic to wool you might be allergic to lanolin. I use Aveeno sensetive for my baby just as a precaution. I have steroid creams for me...although they don't help they hold back some of it. Good luck and if this is a thing to look forward to I read the other day that they might have a cure for this by 2010....It would be a miracle cure for us with eczema. Best wishes!!

I think anything can cause it to flare up. You may want to talk to the pediatrician to see what he/she thinks.

Honestly the Arbonne baby care (ABC) stuff works wonders. My friend's son had eczema so bad, but after using the wash and lotion (I think it was probably the lotion more than the wash that did it), it started fading. The ABC products are super moisture rich and seem to be very helpful. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll order you some.

You can try Dove body wash for sensitive skin. That might help a little. That is what my pediatrician recommended for my little guy who is 4 months and it seems to help. Also Melaleuca has a great lotion called Renew that is great for excema and might help. You can go to www.melaleuca.com and get more information and if you want to purchase it I can get you signed up and even get you a sample of it.

1 / 3