Ebay or Craigslist?? Which Do You Prefer?

In order to purchase Christmas gifts for our kids, my husband and I want to sell some things on either Ebay or Craigslist but haven't used either before. Which do you prefer and why? Some examples of the things (in case that makes a difference) are a gamecube system & controller, Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer, some Leapster systems and games, brand new never worn kids boots, and I'm even wondering if I can place a listing to sell my gift card I have for $100.00 to HomeGoods on there. So..sort of a variety of things. Which would you suggest we go with - Ebay or Craigslist. Any information you want to share would be great.
M. M.

I'm listing them on Craigslist first and if that doesn't work well, I'll try out Ebay. Hands down...Craiglist was preferred. Thank you everyone!
M. M.

I have sold on craigslist and bought on ebay.

I think ebay is overpriced. I thnk people make a lot of moeny selling things on ebay..

So if you want to make money I would sell on ebay.

Craigslist is easy to use.. freee but people dont seem to want to pay much for things on craigslsit..

Electronics do sell quite well on craigslist.

I would try Craigslist first as it is local and is free. It is free to list things on Craigslist and you don't have to take bids on it. The only down side is some people will say that they want the item and set up a time to pick it up and never show. Good luck

I would go with Craigslist to get a quicker sale but you have to be careful with your wording on there at times. There are people that seem to have nothing better to do with their time than to go through the ads and flag the ones they deem inappropriate or phrased incorrectly. Make sure that you don't use all caps in the title line. Don't put "eye catching" symbols (ex.: @#!!!) in the title line. Also, make sure you don't put "o.b.o.) in the title line, they will flag you because they deem that "eBay" wording, your item is being sold as if it were on auction. I sold 2 vehicles this past year on Criagslist and one of them was flagged for inclucing "o.b.o.". I wish you the best of luck and a very happy holiday season!

P.S. You may want to try "Hoobly.com" as well. They are kind of like Craigslist and it's free to list your items. It might make it easier for you to sell if you post on both sites, more will see your ads. Unlike Craigslist, you won't have to specify a certain location prior to posting.

Hi M. M.
Personally I prefer Craigslist simply because it's local.
ebay has become so large, however, if it's something that you can't find on Craigslist, then I'd definitely check Ebay as a 2nd choice. As long as pictures are included, I'd go with Craigslist first.

Good Luck,
Karen A.

I have sold (and purchased) items on both sites. Overall I will recommend craigslist. Craigslist is better for larger items-like wyour w/d- where shipping costs will deter many buyers, since you are selling locally. Craigslist is also very easy to use and free. If you start there and don't get any responses, go to eBay. I think ebay is best for selling items that have appeal to a smaller group of people (like collectibles) or selling items with a huge demand that you want to get people bidding up against each other.
On either site I believe a few things are very important. 1)post a picture of your item-a picture is worth a thousand words, right? 2)give as much detail as you can think of to help the potential buyer make their decision 3)be truthful in your description - if an item is damaged, say so 4)watch your spelling in your title and description, as many people will search for an item and your spelling needs to match - also in your description you can add similiar words that people might use in their search (example - if I search for "dresser" I will get a different list than I would if I entered "dressers")
Also, I wouldn't be afraid to give contact information. This will speed up the sale. Good luck!

I am a buyer and a seller on eBay and have also sold through Craigslist. I have never bought anything through Craigslist though, not that I haven't tried, but by the time I email or call it's already gone. And one time I went to purchase something got there and it was JUNK!!! But that can happen on eBay also. There are pro's and con's to both. Someone said that you make a lot of money on eBay??? You make what people bid your item up to, pretty fair to me. On Craigslist you have to figure out what you want for it and hope someone wants to pay that much for it. I can go on and on. On eBay if you ship priority mail you can get all of you supplies through www.usps.com and have them shipped FREE right to your front door and the supplies are free also. Then when someone wins your auction, you can print your postage right on your computer and set up a free carrier pick-up, so you never have to go to the post office, which is huge for me with two kids.
Lot's or rules on eBay have changed. Some I like some I don't, but I'm adjusting. I'm no power-seller by no means, more of a power buyer :) lol.
In the end, big items for pick-up only, Craig's list.
Name brand clothing like gymboree, tommy, etc... eBay for sure, you'll get a lot of money for the clothes!! Gap to.
In regards to the things you listed above:
Everything except for the washer and dryer on eBay. Washer and dryer on Craig's List, it will go fast! I sold mine in less than an hour that way. And yes the gift certificate for Home Good's can be listed on eBay no problem.

Email privately if you'd like and I can answer more questions in depth if you have them :)
J. in Macomb

I have done both. I like craigslist better. If you set the items at a reasonable price they will sell fast. With ebay you not only have to pay for the item but the shipping too. I think craigslist is better.

Ebay- Not free to post your stuff, but bidding does go up til it is over!
Craigslist- Free to post, there is no bidding, so what you ask for is what you get!

Personally, I like craigslist. It is very addictive! I get on there everyday just to browse different things!

A.

1 / 3