Easy to Prepare Meals That Can Be Frozen

Hi There,

We are planning to help another family (family of family) with easy to reheat meals after the loss of their 10 month old son. I'm looking for some recipes that are fairly simple (mom is allergic to many spices, onions, etc.) and can be frozen and reheated. An example of one meal that I did make for them while in the hospital was chicken and noodles - fairly simple but hearty. They also have a 4 year old daughter, so something child friendly is a plus.

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful ideas!

I want to thank everyone who responded. I have used several of these suggestions!!

Here is a link to freezing on allrecipes.com, my fave recipe site

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Freezing-Foods-A-Real-Time-Sa...

Hope this helps!!

Hello....I am also a SAHM mom with a Pampered Chef business on the side. I have learned about a Power Cooking show that included a number of Freezer meals that you can prepare at home. If you are interested, I can send you the information with some of the recipes.

Let me know,

S. Contardi-Hansen
Independent Consultant for the Pampered Chef

Hi, M.. I feel for that family, as we lost an infant daughter several years ago. I know from experience that what you are offering to do to help is greatly appreciated. I just recently broke my ankle, and even though my mom was staying with us for a while, she went home after my oldest was done with school for the summer. The week before she left, we spent a day making a dozen freezer meals so that I could feed my family on my own without a lot of prep work. I found most of the recipes on the Taste of Home website, but I've included the ones we used here. Many of them called for making and eating one dish right away, and then freezing the second, but we froze both meals right away. Here are some of the recipes we used that were easy to make and kid friendly (I have a 7 year old and almost 4 year old I need to please!). I made labels with the heating directions and froze the meals in foil pans. Even though some of these call for spices or onions, I'm sure these could be omitted from the recipes and still taste good. Hope this helps!

Chicken and Bows
• 1 package (16 ounces) bow tie pasta
• 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
• 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
• 1/4 cup butter, cubed
• 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
• 2 cups frozen peas
• 1-1/2 cups milk
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook chicken and red pepper in butter over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
Stir in the soup, peas, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat.
Serve half of the mixture immediately. Cool remaining mixture; transfer to a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to an ungreased shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

Chicken Stuffing Casserole
• 2 packages (6 ounces each) chicken stuffing mix
• 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
• 1 cup milk
• 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
• 2 cups frozen corn
• 2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
• 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Prepare stuffing mixes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine soup and milk; set aside. Spread the stuffing into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Layer with chicken, corn, mushrooms, soup mixture and cheese.
Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted.
To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).

Cheesy Vegetable Soup
• 6 cups water
• 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
• 1 package (16 ounces) frozen California-blend vegetables
• 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
• 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
• 1 cup milk
In a large kettle, bring water to a boil. Add hash browns, vegetables and bouillon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the cheese, soup and milk; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Serve immediately, or cool and freeze for up to 3 months. Yield: 14 servings. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator. Heat in a saucepan, adding additional milk if desired to achieve desired thickness.

Double Meat Loaf
• 1 egg
• 1 cup beef broth
• 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
• 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
• 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 pound bulk pork sausage
• 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well. Pat into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Top with tomato sauce.
Cover and freeze one meat loaf for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining loaf, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
To use frozen meat loaf: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 loaves (4-6 servings each).

Sicilian Casserole
• 1 lb. ground beef
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped
• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 3/4 cup water
• 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
• 2 cups elbow macaroni
• 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, cubed
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1/3 cup sour cream
• 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef and onion in heavy saucepan, stirring to break up ground beef. Add green bell pepper when beef is almost cooked; continue to simmer until beef is done. Drain well. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, and dried Italian seasoning and stir well to blend. Let simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Meanwhile, cook elbow macaroni as directed on package. While macaroni is cooking, combine cream cheese and milk in medium bowl. Cook in microwave on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Remove from microwave and stir with wire whisk until sauce thickens and blends to form a smooth sauce. Drain noodles and add to cream cheese sauce along with sour cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; stir to combine.
In 2 quart casserole dish, place all of cream cheese mixture. Top with all of the ground beef mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until casserole is bubbly.
To freeze, add 1 Tbsp. cornstarch to the cream cheese sauce. Prepare casserole as directed, except instead of baking, chill in refrigerator. Wrap well and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake, covered, for 25-35 minutes 5 minutes longer until bubbly. 8 servings,

Hello! Bless you for doing such a wonderful thing for a family in such a difficult time for them. Something that we make often and freeze are "breakfast burritos." They can be frozen in individual sandwich or snack bags and reheated in the microwave as needed. They can be dressed up or down, depending on preference. My girls, 6y, 4y and 2y LOVE them, also. Here is the recipe I use:
2 lb sausage
12 eggs
1 pkg hashbrowns
Brown sausage until done and drain. Scramble eggs and cook. Cook hashbrowns until they are done. You can add chopped green chilis, green pepper, tomatos, mushrooms, anything of the sort if desired. After everything is done, mix in all ingredients in a bowl and scoop 1/2 c of mixture into individual bags, roll up and freeze. Depending on the microwave used, reheating times will vary. They can then place the warmed up mixture onto a tortilla and add their favorite toppings, salsa, shredded cheese, etc. Hope this helps!

Here is a pretty easy and hardy one that is pretty open-ended

1 lbs Ground meat (Hamberg, turkey or even veggie)
2 cans creamed corn or brown gravy
1 small package of frozen corn or other mixed veggies depending on tastes...we love spinach in this too.
8 servings of mashed potatoes

Cook the meat. Drain and put in a 8x11 pan or whatever size that is "cake pan' size. spread the veggies evenly over the meat then the cream corn or gravy. Then Top it with the mashed potatoes.

You can season or not season the above however you want. We love to garlic the pototoes or buy the preseasoned boxes. You can also top it with cheese if you want. Sometimes I will stick little cubes into the mashed potatoes for little surprizes.

You can bake it or freeze it at this point to give to them. I would suggest thawing in the fridge overnight and then putting it in the oven before heating it up( because it probably won't thaw completely). Heat the oven to 350 and bake at least 40 mins until hot and bubbly.

You are very kind.
~A.

1 lb cooked ground beef (or Turkey)
1 bag hashbrowns mixed with 1 can cream of mushroom soup & 2tbls butter.
1 Cup Cheese

Put the cooked ground beef (or turkey) into bottom of casserole pan and top with hashbrown mixture and sprinkle with cheese. It freezes well and is really simple.

Bake at 400 for 1 hour.

Hope this helps!!

Pizza Pasta was a recipe that was shared with us not too long ago and it is great - fast- and easy!
1/2 bag of egg noodles
1 jar of pizza sauce
1 lb ground hamburger
2 cups of mozerella cheese

brown hamburger adding the salt and peper. Take a 9x13 pan put have the noodles into the pan (uncooked). Layer browned hamburger ontop of noodles, pour jar of sauce over next along with 3/4 jar of water. Cook in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Then add cheese to top and cook again for 10 minutes of until browned... Server warm and enjoy!
salt and peper to taste

I have made a very simple lasagna for a family with similar needs. The recipe is simple:

1. Brown 2 pounds of ground beef.
2. While browning the hamburger boil water in a pot and cook 6 lasagna noodles.
3. When the ground beef is browned, stir in a can or jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice.
4. In a 9x13 pan layer the ingredients as follows:
spread 1/3 of the meat mixture, top with thin layer of mozzarella cheese, then place 3 of the boiled lasagna noodles side by side lenghtwise across the pan. Repeat layers one time. Then add the last 1/3 of the meat mixture. Cover with foil and freeze.
5. Instructions--can be heated from frozen or can be thawed and then cooked. Reheat at 350 degrees. Once almost heated through add a layer of mozzarella cheese and heat until melted.

Hope this comes in handy. Fairly simple and great for someone who doesn't like much in the spice range(I have a whole family of such folks at my house)

A little about me: Working mom(2 jobs) of 2 beautiful girls aged 8 and 9

Have you tried going to Kraft.com They have a ton of recipies, and most hotdishes can be frozen.

1 / 3