Easter Egg Alternative?

My son, who is 2.5 years, is really into holidays this year. He had a blast at Christmas, Valentines day was pretty exciting also, now we approach Easter. Here is my problem, he is deathly allergic to eggs and dairy. He can't come in contact with either of them. My daughter (4 years) is well aware of dying easter eggs because she has done it in the past, and wants to do it again this year. I can't have the eggs around my son, so I was trying to think of an alternative thing he could do. I figured I would do the dying of the eggs with my daughter during my son's nap, and then just give the eggs away (we have done this in the past). Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do special for my son??!! Also, I do easter baskets for them every year from the easter bunny; in the past I have done one toy and one treat. Well I have always just gotten away with a small toy for my son, but this year he will know the difference. Any one have any good treat ideas for him? We are of the Christian faith, so any religous ideas are welcome also; just keep in mind, they think the Easter bunny is real and I would like to keep it that way for a while:)

P.S. They do an easter egg hunt too and I put pennies and jelly beans in them, so I don't want jelly beans and the special treat in my sons basket too:)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all the ideas! I will go out and buy some wooden eggs, I think he will have a blast with those. I am also going to do the paper mache eggs with balloons, both kids will love that. Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

I have filled the plastic eggs with stickers, graham crackers, and small finger puppetts and such.

You can do it very cheaply and creatively.

The mini cookie are good to.

Books are a great gift also.

We do bird seed inside plastic eggs, also stickers inside plastic eggs. My girls have fun feeding the birds!

You could try to find some inexpensive plastic eggs and let your son color on them with Sharpie markers. Also, we have a set of "Resurrection Eggs". These are 12 plastic eggs that are filled with items that representent the Easter story. You can find them at your local Christian book store. The Easter Bunny comes to our house and hides eggs for the kids during the night. The Resurrection Eggs are included in the eggs that are hidden and we discuss the Easter story as we open them.

you could dye ping pong balls?

or just have them decorate those plastic snap apart eggs, with some stickers and markers

One suggestion is to buy plastic eggs for your son and place candy in them that he can have. My son doesn't really eat eggs so I buy the plastic ones and we take turns hiding and finding them. He loves it and we play the game. This game can last well past Easter.

My son is also allergic to eggs and dairy. Surprisingly, Oreo cookies (the normal size, not the mini's) contain no milk or egg. They are made with soy. This could be a great treat for your son. Other treats that he loves are fruit snacks, suckers, skittles and licorice.
I'm so glad you asked this question. We have never dyed eggs for the same reasons and I never thought about painting the wooden or ceramic eggs. We'll be doing that this year though!

The mini cookie are good to.

Books are a great gift also.

B.,

Sounds like you want an alternative to coloring eggs. My suggestion would be to get him some of those little plaster figures to color. They sell them at Walmart, Michael's, etc. They're less than a $1 each so they're very economical too. I'm sure they have something in the Easter theme, possibly even eggs.

I'm sure he will have loads of fun!
Happy Easter!

I think I have seen wooden eggs that you can paint and decorate in festive easter colors and patterns. Check out websites, such as Heartsong, which has kids crafts for sale.

I remember, as a kid, instead of decorating eggs in Sunday school (too fragile with a room full of little kids) we decorated the egg shapes of the egg cartons. The teacher would cut each egg holder piece out of the egg carton, turn it upside down and we would color, marker and glue sequins/glitter/etc onto them and have half of a decorated egg.

You could also use fingerpaint on plastic eggs and let the kids go to town painting the plastic eggs.

1 / 3