Early Pregnancy Symptoms

thank you all for answering my question...and how i can deal with my situation.

26 weekers are born all the time. My water broke at 24 weeks and my daughter was born 2 weeks later at 26 weeks. She was on a ventilator for 4 weeks, oxygen for 8 weeks and in the NICU for 3.5 months, until she was full term. Most 26 weekers are about 2 lbs at birth and other than being in the NICU for the remainder of the "pregnancy" they are usually ok. Depending on the lung function, the baby could be put on a ventilator for a little while but some 26 weekers dont need oxygen. But the baby does have to stay in the hospital until at least 38 weeks gestation. Are you seeing an OBGYN? If they thing you are at high risk for delivering early they might want to put you in the hospital for the remainder of the pregnancy to prevent preterm labor. If you have any more questions let me know. I know TOO MUCH about preemies, preterm labor, etc.

Hey M.,
I had the same problem with my 3rd child as well. I started leaking amneotic fluid and then went into labor within hours at 27 weeks. The doctors were prepared to do a c-section and were ready to wheel me into the delivery room. I begged them to wait just a little bit longer for the magnesium sulfate to start working. I was having 11 contractions in 30 minutes. They agreed to wait for 30 more minutes. The Mag sulfate started to work and they didn't deliver my baby at that time. I remained in the hospital for 1 month before they sent me home with a monitor that would monitor my contractions. I continued to have 6 contractions an hour until I delivered my baby. I did make it to full term with my baby and she was a happy and healthy 8lbs 14oz. Home monitoring was great. I had a nurse I could talk to if I was concerned about anything. I was monitored twice a day or more if I was concerned. If you can, ask for home monitoring to see how many contractions you are having and get extra support. It really will give you some comfort.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to chat with you.

It's better to have the baby late than early. Pre-maturity can cause...at worst death, blindness the list goes on. If you can take it easy and keep the baby in, and a void having he/she stay in the hospital with breathing tupes and such. Than you should try really hard to take it easy. If the baby is born early the nurses and DRs are train for this. But I would avoid that at all cost. J.

M.,

It is possible to have your baby at 26 weeks but the long term prognosis (the chances of the baby surviving and being healthy) is pretty bad. When you figure that "full term" is 40 weeks, a 26 week birth is a baby this is barely half developed. If you are having trouble, get your butt to the doctor. The longer you stay pregnant, the better chance your baby will survive and be healthy. Having a baby at 26 weeks is a very bad thing.

Ask your ob/gyn if you would be a good candidate for progesterone shots. I went into labor with my 1st child at 31 weeks, they were able to keep him in till 34 weeks, luckily he was healthy. This time around I expressed my concerns and my ob/gyn suggested the progesterone, it keeps you from going into pret term labor...I carried my second until 39 weeks, so it worked great for me. But depending on how far along you are, they suggest you start it by your 18th week. Good luck!

Hospitals can do alot but that doesn't mean your baby is strong enough to handle all those problems coming his way. Do everything you can to keep it in their. Alot of early labor comes from dehydration. When you go in that's exactly what they have you do. IV and drink drink drink. So make yourself drink 2 or 3 extra glasses of water a day. Keep a water bottle by you at all times. If they put you on medicine take it. You want your baby healthy. I always went into early labor at 5 months they started. But learn to pay attention to your body it's telling you something. Try the water thing if that don't work try less stress, or more you time. But I'm sure the water thing will help alot. If it still comes early you did everything you could do, and you won't have the guilt of not trying. Plus any extra weeks in their is better. Good luck my prayers are with you, hope all goes well for both of you. J.

Have you seen your doctor? It's possible for your baby to be born that early, but not good.

See a doctor right away if you think something is not right.

Best wishes to you.

I had pre-term contractions right around 25 weeks, so yes, it's possible, but certainly not advisable. Call your OB if you think you're having contractions. I kept second guessing myself, but when I actually sat down and looked at the clock, they were coming less than 10 minutes apart. When I called the hospital, they wanted me to come straight to labor and delivery. Scared the pants off me. By the time they got me all strapped up, the contractions were only five minutes apart. They gave me a shot of something that stopped them and put me on all sorts of restrictions (no caffeine, no sex, to name a couple). They told me the contractions were likely due to dehydration, so I'd advise to drink tons of water and call your doctor if you have any doubt. Better safe than sorry!

1 / 3