Early Miscarriage Symptoms but Negative Pregnancy Test?

Has anyone experienced all of the symptoms of miscarriage but the pregnancy test was negative? I have already had one miscarriage about 4 years ago and my recent symptoms were almost identical. However, with the previous miscarriage (appx 10 weeks along) I had a positive test. This time I suspect it was a chemical pregnancy, but the test was negative. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Have you seen your ob/gyn already? If not -- please do. The symptoms (which you don't describe, so do they include bleeding, cramping, etc.?) could be symptoms of any number of gynecological problems and you should be checked out now, not later. Don't assume this was a miscarriage. I'm so sorry for your earlier one. Take good care of yourself and get to your doctor as soon as you can, to ensure something else is not going on that needs treatment.

With my first miscarriage (which I refer to as a chemical pregnancy), I had a positive pregnancy test a few days after I was due for a period. So when I started bleeding a week later I took another test and it was negative. It was pretty much just like a period though, if I hadn't taken a test I would never have known I was pregnant. If your hcg is under 30 a test will come out negative (according to my last OB). My next m/c occurred at around 11 weeks and it was much worse.

I haven't experienced having a miscarriage with a negative test, but my first pregnancy test with my son was negative, and I was definately pregnant. I would make a appt with your ob/gyn, or if the cramping is bad, go into urgent care. Better safe then sorry. Please take care of yourself...

It's more than possible, it's likely. There might not have been enough hcg in the pregnancy to show up in the test.

Those same symptoms could also be something else. I would talk to your dr.

I'm under the impression, perhaps mistaken, that a chemical pregnancy would yield a positive test. I would call your OB/gyn.

It would depend on why the m/c happened and how far along you think you are, but yes it is possible. Could be you tested to early or that your HCG levels were to low for the test to register positive, which would explain while the pregnancy wasn't viable. If you are in pain or worried it could be best to see your doctor sooner rather than later. Regardless I'm very sorry for your loss.

1 / 3