Earliest Successful Potty Training Age?

I am curious what was the earliest age other Moms had success potty training their little ones. I personally have an ideal age of 18 months to start potty training. My thought is by 18 months a child is more likely to be able to start communicating the need to go to the bathroom or at least better understand the concept. Thanks!

Thank you for your advice. As one person challenged, I did inquire when my relatives started potty training...the answer was 1 year old. So, I have started potty 'communication' and just introduced my little one to the potty seat :o) I'm not planning on potty training this soon but introducing the 'tools'. Thanks for your time!

My first child potty trained himself completely by age 2 because he hated feeling wet and he has a big bladder. His brother was closer to age 4.I personally believe in not pushing the subject, and letting it happen when they are physically capable which varies with each child. Just like learning to walk or read for that matter, it's different for everyone.

My daughter was completely potty trained at 19 months. Only because she hated messy or wet diapers so much so decided to pretty much potty train herself. She completely understood at 19 months when she needed to go potty and would tell me.

Good Morning!

I have been "potty training" my son since he was 6 weeks old. I know this is hard to believe, but other cultures in the world don't have the luxury of diapers and have been using other elimination communication to help their children deal with their waste. I have had great success with this technique and find that my son uses the toilet more often than not. He still uses diapers most of the time, but I; beginning to think we could make it through the night without one.

Here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5-diap/46-infant-potty...

Good Luck and pleasant surprises!

I agree with the last poster and I'll tell you why. I had exactly the same thoughts as you with my daughter. I thought 18 mo. is an excellent age, if she's fully trained by 2, it would be awesome. I had other friends who had children who started potty training at that time too. Why not?

Well, it wasn't the right time for my daughter. So we potty trained for 2 YEARS. Even though I worked on it all the time, she wasn't able to go without a diaper everyday until 3 1/2 almost 4. There are a few things I overlooked in my decision to start at 18 mo. 1) Potty training can't be about what's convenient for the partent--the child really has to be ready. 2) There are studies that show that kids who are pushed into training too early, take much longer (I didn't read those). 3)All of my friends who had children who trained early weren't first born. As in there is something about being a subsequent child that helps the training happen earlier, I think because the child(ren) want to be like the older ones.

I took none of these things into consideration and it completely backfired on me. It also had a few consequences as well. Because my daughter wasn't trained by the time preschool started, she couldn't start at 3. I realize not all parents want to preschool at 3, but we did. It was also obviously much more expensive, than had I waited for her timing, she might have been trained a year earlier saving us a whole year's worth of diapers. I also might not have felt the failure as a parent. Other parents do judge and say things when a little girl is almost 4 and still in diapers. They shouldn't--but it hurts.

So that's my story. I think you should wait.

I would steer clear of your setting the age when your child should be potty trained. You can start working on it, but don't be surprised if your attempts are thwarted. I have worked in day care and nannied as well as having three children of my own. It seems that the harder the parents push, the kids tend to get stubborn and use it as a control issue. My oldest son decided at 14 months that he was not going to wear diapers anymore. He was completely day-time potty trained by 20 months. I was very glad that we were renting during the 6 month interim. My middle child, also a boy, is almost 2 and a half, and is not ready to be potty-trained. Each child is different. The less we stress about it, the less they stress and the happier they are. However; I do think that for the most part 3 year is a good goal. Good luck getting yours trained by 18 months.

Hello, J.. I work with two year olds, and If they are not ready to be potty trained you are just setting you and your child up for failure. The child will let you know when they are ready. Potty training a child is nothing to rush into it will happen when they are ready.

I think the age at which they're ready varies, but you can start anytime as long as your expectations for their age are realistic. We introduced a potty with out daughter when she was about 18 months. We talked about what it was for, and would allow her to sit on it whenever she wanted to (we read LOTS of books in the bathroom during those days).

She was always in control, and we just let her learn and took the gradual approach. We gave lots of praise when she had a success and looked at the whole thing as a learning process instead of a training camp :). I'd recommend the book "Diaper Free Before Three" if this kind of approach appeals to you.

HI there- You may not believe this but, I started with my son at 3 weeks old. Try checking out the diaper free baby portland website, they have great meetings. My son is now 16 mos & almost potty trained. So 18 mos is not to soon. But check out a meeting, they give great advice.

Every child is different, and every child has his/her own way of telling you that she/he is ready. It is the child's readiness that determines when potty training starts.

If you wait for the child's readiness, then potty training should take only a couple of days.

If you start at other times then you are training yourself to respond to the child's cues, times, and your needs.

My daughter decided to train herself at 18 months while we were on a 3 day trip to Victoria, and Vancouver B.C. by ship, ferry, and train. By the time we returned she was potty trained. It was a miserable trip because we visited every and I do mean every (!) toilet on our way. In the ship, in the ferry, on the bus, each and every restaurant, etc....

My son was dry every night from age 12 months on, but would not use the toilet. He was not potty trained until the four year old preschool teacher said in his hearing that she would not accept children who were not potty trained. He was potty trained the next day....All it took was something that motivated him.

I just wanted to Ditto what Camille said about Elimination Communication. I began putting my second daughter on the toilet at 6 weeks also and there was obvious muscle control on her part. I could feel her body tense and release. We did not try to make it every time but when it was convenient placed her on the potty to try.
I also was a skeptic when I heard about ec 3 years previously with my first. I now wish I had tried with her as well. Less diapers and a familiarity with the toilet are good things imo.
Of course all kids are different. If you get a potty chair now and she is not ready you can always put it away for a bit and pull it out later. Make it fun and not pressured. She will let you know when she is really ready.

1 / 3