Ear Piercing for My 5 Month Old

I really want to get my 5 month old little girls ears pierced. Her doctor is against piercing ears until they are old enough to ask for it. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not to do it and maybe locations to get it done? What about those places in the mall like Claire's or Icing, are they any good? I really would prefer someone other than some teenage girl making minimum wage piercing her ears. Her dr. office won't do it.

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice. I thought about it a lot and decided to go ahead and do it. I went to Claire's at Vista Ridge and they did it there, sure my daughter cried, but not for long. She was beautiful without the earrings and she is beautiful with them. And to everyone who told me to wait and that she should have the option whether she wants them or not - she WILL have the option. She will have the option to take them out if she doesn't want them and the holes will close up, so it's not the end of the world. Anyway, thanks again to everyone who gave advice, I really appreciate it!!

I think 5 months old is way too young to have ears pierced. But if you decide to do it I would not go anywhere other than a Dr's office.

I have a personal opinion regarding babies and ear piercing; however, if you do move forward with piercing, do go to LaLobe. A web site address was provided in an earlier posting. I realize there have been many good experiences with other places; but, outside of a doctor's office, LaLobe is the most qualified. It's been around longer than any other site mentioned here, and they are EXTREMELY hygienic and competent. The only place, I believe, to trust with ear piercing -- regardless the age.

Well if you want opinions you've come to the right place, huh? I have pierced both my girls---one at 7 months and my six month old just had hers done. I did it this young so they will not mess with them---which they will do if you wait. Basically this is a good age to do it or you will need to wait until the child is over three or so I am guessing to reduce the number of times the earrings are pulled out by the child herself. It really is a personal decision. I don't think your child is going to be upset at you for doing it young...I haven't met a girl yet who did not want their ears pierced. I am sure they are out there though. I have used Claires both times...it sounds like there are some other places that I did not know about but I would choose the place with the most experience with piercings. When I have gone, well, I called ahead of time, and asked for the person with the most experience with babies...M. at Claires at Collin Creek Mall just did my lil' ones and she did wonderful. Good luck.

I had my daughter's done when she was 9 wks. at the Claire's at Collin Creek Mall. The girl that did them was a younger girl, but she made the initial marks many times until we both agreed they were perfect before she actually pierced them. She was much pickier than I expected. Also, I was told by the manager at the Claire's at Stonebriar that she does all the babies herself so make sure to call before you go to that one. My daughter is 3 now and I am so glad we did them when she was little. We have had no problems at all. Her pedi had no problems w/ us getting it done since she was current on her vacs. Also, they sell little rubber backs that you can use instead of the traditional ones. The earrings seemed to bother my daughter when she nursed until we tried those. Once she got older (around 2) we switched back since she figured out how to pull the rubber backs off easily.

My daughter was pierced by her pediatrician when she was 5 months. The doctor used a hypo allergenic earrings and I didn't have any problem with it until now that she's 10 months.
You could call our pediatrician- Dr. Elizabeth Dickey ###-###-####( Irving clinic); ###-###-#### (Grapevine clinic).

Have Fun !

Nearly every infant girl I keep in my registered home has her ears pierced by the time they are a year old....most, *much younger*. The mothers tell me they use Claire's or Sweet 'N' Sassy. I'm sure there are lots of other places that do a good job, but these seem to be preferred. None of the babies seem to have any problems with ear piercing. The only problem I've run into, as a child care provider, was a 16 month old who figured out how to removed the snap-on backs; so her mother began using the safety backs that screw-on.

http://www.missBrenda.com

As you can tell, this is really ahot topic- with great arguments on both sides :-) Bottom line, she is your daughter and you get to chose.
Our Pedi office recommends waiting until they are old enough to care for it themselves- but that is just a recommendation.
If you chose to have her ears peirced I recommend La Lobe in Dallas.
The web page is http://www.lalobe.net/

M.,
I think you asked a simple question and the person who said it was tacky was actually the tacky one. Perced ears on babies is pretty normal. Mine were done when I was three (with a needle and thread!) but my sisters were done when she was 9 months. Her daughters were done at the age of 3 months..no problems. Do your research and do what you think is best.

My daughter was 4 months old when her ears were pierced. She screamed for a few seconds after each one was done then she was fine. I'm so glad I did it because a little 5yr old girl who was after us-well, let's just say it took forever to get hers done. She wanted them pierced, then wouldn't sit still, then she screamed and screamed and her mother ended up leaving before she even got the second ear done. I went to Claires and they were good. The only problem the doctor ever had was a concern for choking if my little girl ever got an earring in her mouth, so I always have had screw on backs for safety, but they are a pain to put on, but their little ears are so tiny.
Blessings,
E.

1 / 3