Ear Piercing for a 3 Month Old?

I have a 3 month old little girl and I would really like to get her ears pierced. I am wondering what other moms think about this, and if you have had any problems with your experiences. Also, where would you take a baby for piercing? Thank you!

Personally I think it looks ridiculous. As they grow you can tell by their ears and by the way most parents raise their children when this decision is made. As she gets older teaching her to make her own decisions with her body is an important lesson and piercing her ears or whatever, tattoos etc is all part of that. Someday she will be a teenager so think longer term than preschool!

I got mine done when I was 5 for my birthday. My daughter got hers done when she was about 5 months old at the mall. She is 3.5 now, and loves getting new earings. It was a good age because she didn't freak out...
a lot of the moms who say don't do it, or let her make the choice for herself probably circumsiced their baby boys, I imagine that is a lot more painfull and ireversable. if she doesn't want earings when she gets older she can take them out, but I have yet to meet a girl that doesn't want her ears pierced. just keep the earings small so she can't pull on them... most pediatrician offices will pierce a babies ears for you too.

I absolutely would not. First, it is painful. Second, there is a risk of infection. Why rush this? I had my ears pierced when I was six, and asked my parents.

If you want it done then do it - getting it done this young is really for you, not the child. Personally, I always think it looks common and cheap, not pretty. What if your daughter grows up to be a tom boy and does not want pierced ears? She will have a dent in each ear if she lets them grow over.Let her decide if and when she wants it done...

Why would you want to pierce a baby's ears?!?!?! It is pretty ridiculous. I have a daughter and feel like it's her decision whether or not to have holes in HER body. Plus, then when she is old enough, she can be responsible enough to clean and take care of them...why would you want to do all that on top of all that you do for your child? Earrings are for older girls and grown ups...not for babies.

I have 2 daughters, one is 3 and a half, and other is 7 months.

I am going to wait until they ask me to have them pierced.

I agree that this is a personal choice/opinion.

On a side note, in the past month, I have seen two little boys (toddler age) who had earrings in one of their ears!
Again, personal choice. I guess I would wait until they are not only old enough to not only ask for earrings, but understand the concept as well.

Have a great day!!!!!

R. =)

My 2 cents- I am against it and think it looks bad (pierced ears on babies is one of my pet peeves!). But- I'm 30 and think they look bad on adults, too! I guess- go with your gut (mom's are good for knowing what's best)- but remember that it is cosmetic and think about the example it sets to your little one.

We chose to pierce our daughter's ears at her 1st birthday. I wanted to do it earlier, but never got to it. We chose clares, and like the other poster mentioned, it was quick and easy. No problems, but now at 3 she can take the earrings out herself so we have had to change kinds.

My main reason was to get them done before she was too scared. We never had any allergy or infection. my step daughter had hers done at 8, and it was a big dramatic event for her. so in our family that was avoided with my daughter getting hers done early.

Its personal choice - in a lot of cultures, they pierce them in the hospital so you can tell immediately if the baby is a boy or a girl. Here, its up to you.

I love the look and mu daughter loves picking out her earrings every morning. Do what you feel is right for you and your child.

Check with your pediatrician's office. Ours does ear piercing.

Personally, I waited until my daughter was old enough to tell me herself that she wanted her ears pierced. But that's just me.

With two daughters I experienced the good, and bad, side of it. We pierced our first daughters ears as soon as Claires would allow us to, I think around 12 weeks. She cried until she was carried outside the store and then stopped. We were able to care for them easily, didn't get any infections, it was the picture of perfection! Our oldest didn't get her ear's pierced until she was a little older, I think she was closer to 6 months, she was a more challenging child with a few health problems so we wanted to wait until she was a little older. She ended up pulling them out, so we put in a circular earring, thinking it would be harder for her to pull them out. Not so, she managed to pull them out - without opening them up (needless to say it was a mess). She didn't get them repierced until about 3 months ago and she's now 3.5. Her ear healed up fine, and she was begging for them and promised to not pull them out.

I guess my best advice, given my experience, is to take into account the temperment of your child. I would also advice to do it sooner rather than later.

1 / 3