Ear Infections: Chiropractic Treatments or Tubes?

Hi Moms! My son is 18 months and has had ear infections for over 6 months, almost continuously. Our pediatrician is saying we should think about tubes, but I would really like to avoid poking holes in my little boys eardrums. Has anyone had success treating and preventing ear infections with alternative medicine such as the chiropractor? Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi Moms! Thank you all so much for your helpful responses. I started taking my son to the chiropractor, and so far treatments seem to help him. He recently got a cold, and for the first time in over 6 months, it did not turn into an ear infection!!! I know this may not be the case every time, but for now we can avoid getting tubes. Although after hearing many of your stories, I will not be afraid for him to get tubes if he ends up needing them. Thanks again!
Sincerely,

I went thru the same thing with my son who is now 22. I went back to work when he was 7 wks. He started having ear infections off and on until he was 5 yrs old. I told the pediatrician how concerned I was that he was constantly on antibiotics or 'drying up' medicine. He first told me that there are many antibiotics that he could try on him. I said no more. He then tested him for allergies which came back negative. Then he wanted to put tubes in which I didn't want to do. I took him to a chiropractor and he didn't have another ear infection for 2 years. He had one at 7 yrs and none since. I would rather try the chiropractor first then the tubes if need be.

My daughter had 5 ear infections before she got tubes at 15 months. I didn't want to but at first, but afterwards I wished I hadn't waited so long. The doctor told me both ears were filled with thick mucus. She was a sweeter child after she got tubes. She didn't get another infection until one fell out at 2 1/2 years old. I had new ones put in because she is at day care and has allergies and often has a running nose, so I knew without tubes all that mucas would be in her ear canals. Hope this information helps. Good luck and let us know what ends up working for you.

I have identical twin girls, now 11, and when they were 2 one of the girls were having throat and ear problems. We had to end up and get tubes along with tonsils taken out. Since then she has had no problems with her ears or throat. On the other hand my twin with no tubes but had tonsils taken out has had a few ear infections. So if her ent reccommends tubes we will go with tubes. I feel it is much better on the child, one time thing verses constant visits to the chiropractor. Hope this helps.

I would recommend taking him to a Chiropractor and taking him completely off all dairy. It sounds like he is having a food allergy problem. I have had great success using garlic and willow ear drops to get rid of the infection. The willow seems to take away the pain instantly and the garlic gets rid of the infection. I always try to go the natural route and stay away from surgery and antibiotics if at all possible. Of coarse it would be different if my children were in grave danger. One of my doctors told me that at a seminar that he went to he learned that children that are on antibiotics early in life develop lots of health issue's later on in life. You can make your own garlic drops also by heating garlic in some olive oil on very low heat in a pan. The garlic then infuses the oil and after it cools you can put a drop in the ear. I do have many other suggestions if you are interested, just let me know. God Bless!

Id find a good chiropractor & a good Naturopath or Homeopath.

I found these links with some info that might be useful:

http://www.healthychild.com/ear-infections-alternatives.htm

http://www.dochubbs.info/midear.htm

I have been going to the chiropractor myself for middle ear issues due to allergies, I am finding it very helpful.

If you are in the Raleigh area I can offer some names!

P.

We were faced with the same situation with our 19 month old. Chronic ear infections from birth. His pediatrician wanted tubes. We were not so hot in the idea. We actually went with CranioSacral Therapy (she's listed on here under alternative medicine and is the only CranioSacral Therapist listed - Pam Y.). She is wonderful and effective. When we went back to the pediatrician he was amazed. Hope this helps!

Chiropractic is great, but the number one thing I hear is to eliminate all dairy products from the diet.

You might also like to read Dr. Mendelsohn's book
"How to Raise A Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor"
He was an MD (now deceased) with 30+ years experience when he wrote the book.

My son had 8 ear infections in 3 months at one point...in other words, I know about chronic ear infections. He was on antibiotic after antibiotic. Nothing would work. As a matter of fact, he would be on an antibiotic to treat one side, and the other ear would become infected WHILE he was on an antibiotic. So we did try the chiropractic treatments. We went religously for a while. I'm sorry to say that they did not work...not even a little. (And our insurance didn't pay for it...uggg!) We went back to the doctor and he had developed another infection while he were getting the chiropractic adjustments. We also tried giving him large amounts of yogurt so the good bacteria could fight the bad, and tried some other stuff people had told us to try.

The thing is, if the fluid in the ear canal is too thick (they call it ear glue after repeat infections because it becomes almost like paste) to drain and cannot drain regardless of what you do, nothing is going to work except "poking holes" in the ear drums.

In saying that, getting tubes was the BEST thing I ever did for my little boy. He lived with extremely painful ear infections over and over for months, and now he doesn't have them anymore. I will tell you that my son has had 1 infection since having the tubes put in, but it was very easy to treat and was not painful like they were before tubes.

The procedure is very simple and the recovery time is like 1/2 of a day. He had the procedure at 7 that morning and by dinner time, you could not tell that anything had happened to him. I know some people will tell you scarry things about tubes, but millions of kids have been successfully treated by tubes. Good luck to you and your little guy!!

I have experience with chiropractic for ear infections. Research shows it's not necessary to treat ear infections with antibiotics and the chiropratic adjustments help to relieve the interference in the ears allowing for them to drain. I would look closely at his diet...does he drink milk? If so, this could be an allergy to the dairy. Try eliminating dairy and doing the chiropratic adjustments to see if those help to relieve his ear infections.

I will be back later to post links to articles referencing the antibiotic and the dairy link with ear infections.

Here are the antibiotic and food allergy articles. You can google these and read much more. I just wanted to pass this information along because not many people realize there is an underlying cause.

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/160/1/Ear... (Yes, while I agree it's often difficult to see our children sick, it's necessary for their body to produce antibodies to defend itself. Continued rounds of antibiotics inhibit the body's natural ability to defend itself.)
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/1830/1/Wh...

Here is the article referencing food allergy & chronic ear infections.

I commend you for seeking alternatives, asking questions, doing your research and weighing all your options. It's all about making an informed decision and doing what you feel is best for your little one.

Hugs,

I have a 6 year old little boy that had one ear infection after another between 2 and 3 years of age. He was constantly on antibiotics and always had fluid in his ears. After a year of treating his infections with antibiotics the doctor decided no more and wanted me to take him to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor. I took him to the chiropractor. I was told that the amount of antibiotics he had taken reduced his good bacteria as well as the bad and he could no longer fight an infection. We did three weeks of adjustments 3x's a week. In addition to the adjustments I gave him a probiotic (Probioplex) 3x's a day and I used ear candles to remove the wax. It has been over three years since doing that and we have not had even 1 ear infection, not to mention his immune system is better than ever and he rarely get sicks. We continued the adjustments for a couple of months and I give him the probioplex whenever he seems to be getting sick. I candle his ears about 4 times a year.
It can't hurt to try it. If the chiropractor doesn't work for you then you can still do the tubes. When looking for a chiropractor look for one that is into the alternative medicine and promotes healthy living without surgery or medications. C. Deaton (____@____.com)

I have a 4 year old son who had chronic infections for 3 years (probably an estimated 20 altogether). The result was that he was on antibiotics for months and months at a time and then eventually couldn't hear anything because the fluid had built up so badly in both his ears he was practically deaf. We finally had the tubes put in and my ONLY single regret was not having them put in sooner. He suffered (and we ALL suffered) so much because of these infections. The tube surgery took exactly TEN minutes and he has only had one infection in the year since.

Ear infections are no joke. If you son is having chronic infections, this super mild surgery can save years of pain and doses and doses of antibiotics (that don't work, by the way if the infection is viral), not to mention save his poor hearing. I have to tell you, tubes are tremendously wonderful things. Do NOT be afraid. Give chiropractic care a try, and then schedule the surgery...you'll won't regret it.

1 / 3