Ear Infections and Baths

My daughter is 20 month's old and still has her ear infection. We just went to the Dr.'s today and they put her on an antibiotic.
My question is while she has this ear infection is it OK to wash her hair?? I know it sounds stupid but I give her a bath at night before she goes to bed and I wash her hair everyother night and I don't know if she can get water in her ear and with it being at night so close to bedtime is this a bad thing? I dry out her ears but I don't know if that helps? She has fluid in her ears and both are red and infected. I forgot to ask the Doctor this and they are closed so any advice tips would be appreciated. Also is there anything that I can do besides Tylenol at night when she sleeps to give her some extra relief? She woke up last night a few times crying.

Thanks this web site has been such a great help to me I appreciate everyone's advice and strength in heping me realize that I am not alone.

R. J.

I would get some ear plus or just not wash her hair! I do not wash my childrens hair when they have ear infections I use a wash cloth and wipe it with some water and shampoo then I rince with the wash cloth as well! Good luck

Hey R., ear infections are no fun.. poor baby (and mommy). At our last appointment I asked the bath question and our ped told us to have the kids lean forward for rinsing rather than have them look up, looking up allows the water to run into the ear - is what he said. Best wishes for a happy holiday, she'll be feeling better in no time.

When my daughter gets an ear infection, I wash her hair in the kitchen sink. She lays on her back on the counter and I use the sprayer. I tell her I use to wash her in the sink when she was a baby, so she thinks it's special. Why risk water in the ear?

I just took by little boy to doctor for an ear infection yesterday. She told us to switch from Tylenol and Motrin to help with the pain.
Ear plugs are good if you must wash her hair, if your quick maybe just some cotton in the ears will help it from getting too wet.

Most ear infections in children that age are in the inner ear not from baths or swimming. The fluid builds up from a runny nose or congestion drainning down the throat. The water from the bath does nothing to hurt the ear infections. Trust me I know, I have 2 daughters with constant ear infections. Now if the infection is swimmers ear then yes but I would bet it isn't.

Hi R. join the club my son is on his 2nd set of tubes and is on 2 different allergy rx's and I pray every night that he out grows these problems, because I will never forget the last time he had an ear infection it lasted a month of crying nothing worked, until finally his ears started to drain and he was able to get his surgery, so anyways the ENT told me to use ear plugs when washing his hair, and they do sell them for kids at wal-mart too if you shop there as much as I do?I hope this helps?

It won't hurt if you don't wash her hair until the infection is gone. You can also do it with a wash cloth. I did this with my first two. Get the wash cloth wet and add a small amount of soap, rub the babies hair with it and then rinse the cloth out and just keep using the wet cloth to rinse the soap out. Should work fine to avoid the water getting in her ear.
Good luck ear infections are no fun for child or parent.

R.,
Even when my sons don't have ear infections, I wash their hair with a bath visor. You can get them at Toys R Us for about $6 it comes in a two pack. It's waterproof, so you just put it on, velcro the back and you can wash and rinse without the water ever touching the ears or face. I do it even when they're playing, they don't even know what's happening. I haven't found them anyplace else except Amazon.com Hope that helps!

My son is 11 now, but as a toddler had chronic ear problems. Our pediatrician and the specialists who eventually did the surgeries warned us repeatedly not to allow him to take baths at all, only showers. If baths are a must, I would recommend not allowing your daughter to put her head under the water at all, and only pour clean water from the tap over her head with a cup or something. We were told that bath water alone cam cause infections in children, especially ones who are predisposed to ear troubles.
Hope she feels better soon!

1 / 3