Ear Infection Without Fever?

Can you have an ear infection without a fever? My 2 1/2 year old came home from daycare with thick snot pouring out of his nose. He started coughing and complained that his head hurt. So I figure he's got a cold. But now, at midnight he is inconsolable. He is laying in bed softly crying and moaning now complaining that "all" of his head hurts. He has no fever, but I am wondering if you can get an ear infection without a fever? He has never had an ear infection (knock on wood) so I am unsure. Thanks for the input.

My kids rarely ever have a fever with an ear infection. I never know when my 5 yr old daughter has an ear infection or not because she doesn't complain of any pain. I always just take her to the doctor when she has a bad sinus infection because more often than not she has a major ear infection to accompany. I agree with giving tylenol, warm cloth over ear and call doctor for an appt! Hope he feels better soon!

Yes--my pediatrician says not wanting to lie down or sleep is a better indicator than fever. And sometimes there's no sign!

YES, this used to happen to me all the time - the Dr office would tell my mom not to bring me in unless I had a fever, and then she would end up in the ER in the middle of the night with an unconsolable child who had an earache and no fever! And give motrin, not tylenol. The last time my son and daughter had ear infections (in the same week, what fun.) the doctor and nurses both told me that motrin is an actual antiinflammatory with pain relief while tylenol is only a pain reliever. I was also told I could give motrin, then three hours later tylenol, then three hours later motrin... and so on until the antibiotic kicked in to relieve the pressure and pain. Good luck!

They can certainly have an ear infection without a fever. I would take him to the doc and double check, those things are miserable.

Yes I just took my son to the doctors. He said he had a ear infection. He has not had a fever just runny nose and cough. He could not sleep and was tossing and turning. He put him on antibiotics. Ear infections hurt so please take your son to the doctor.

Yep. My DD just got over one. Zero fever at all. No signs whatsoever that hear ear hurt. Then one night she started crying saying her ear hurt. I took her to the doc that next day. Doc liked to pee herself when she looked in my DD's ear. She ended up with liquid antibiotic and antibiotic drops for the ear. Not saying your son's is that bad but my DD had NO other signs (other than the cold she had been fighting). I'd take him to the doc because let's face it, ear infections hurt!

For tonight, I would give him tylenol & alternate with motrin and put a damp wash cloth (warm water) over the ear. Good luck!

Yes, it is very possible. Give him some non asprin pain relever and take him to the doctor. We had one child who almost never ran a fever with ear infections.

I hope he feels better soon!

they can have an ear infection without even showing SIGNS of a cold. my son was notorious for it - one time he was at a well child checkup and the dr told me he had double ear infections in both ears. i never knew he had a cold, and he certainly wasn't showing signs of being sick at all - but my kid is a tank and he's just like that.

Yes!! My DD NEVER gets a fever with an ear infection! The only way that we know is if she's acting strange at bedtime. Give him some tylenol and call the dr. in the morning.

1 / 3