Ear Infection & Leaking?

My six year old daughter has her first ear infection since having tubes put in 4 1/2 year ago. We began a course of antibiotics last night, along with numbing drops for the pain. We gave her the drops late last night and haven't again since. Just a little while ago, her ear began leaking a yellowish fluid. I don't see that it could be the drops as it's been ten hours since we put them in. I don't recall her ear leaking like this with any of the ear infections she had when she was a baby.

Our pediatrician leaves his office at noon and hasn't returned my call I left a little while ago, so I'm relying on one of you mommas to tell me this is normal and nothing with which to be concerned.

Thanks!!

Thanks, everyone! The nurse called me back and said she's probably got a hole. Yuck. We'll continue antibiotics and then have a recheck.

Thanks again!

I would say that 90% of the time that my children have had ear infections it has drained. There was never a problem, just the build up draining out. They were always much better once it had drained. However, I am not an expert so I would still call the dr. if I were you.

My son had tubes put in his ear in the middle of an ear infection. His ears leaked for several days but the doctor said that this was okay because it was that fluid that use to fester in his ears before putting in the tubes and would create an infection. Now with the tubes, the fluid could come out and with antibiotics, the infection would get better. It does freak you out to see it and my son's was bloody because the tubes had just been inserted. We have been lucky that he has not had an ear infection since then but it does happen to some children even with the tubes. My understanding is that the infection is not as severe because that fluid has somewhere to escape. Good Luck!

4-1/2 years is a REALLY long time for tubes to stay in unless you had special T tubes placed. it sounds like she ruptured her tympanic membrane. if so, it will most likely spontaneously heal but i would still see your ent for this.

My son had a ear infection about a month ago and he had yellowish fluid leaking from one of his ear also. After a few days of antibiotic drops he was fine, so I think you don't have to worry too much yet.

Mom to little Joey (19 months)

I am a pro at this... we have ear infections ALL THE TIME, despite tubes 2 years ago!

The other mammas are right - the tubes are doing their job - and the discharge is normal - although gross! You can GENTLY clean the outer ear with a Damp q-tip - BUT NOT THE INSIDE... to clean away some of the mess. It will dry up and be even worse if you don't.

Also - if her ears are pierced - make sure that you keep that area clean.

M....The leaking is the infection! It is coming out of the ear thanks to the tubes. There is nothing wrong with it, it is perfectly normal. The antibiotic drops you put in her ears help break up the infection so it can drain out. That is great news that it has been 4.5 years since her tubes...and no ear infections! My son is 18 months, we had his tubes put in at 9 months, and he had an ear infection at about 15 months.

She should be feeling great soon!

Are her tubes still in her ears? If so, I think this is supposed to be normal. As our ENT explained it to us, this is what normally happens when a child has ear tubes...and both the reason it's easy to tell they have an ear infection and the reason it's easy to treat. The yellowish stuff is the same stuff that used to fill your child's ear when she had an ear infection before...but it couldn't get out, which is why her ear would be full of fluid and painful. Now the fluid can drain out through the same hole that the antibiotic can go in. I would call your pediatrician tomorrow...if the fluid keeps leaking out after a certain amount of time they'll probably want to do something different. But I wouldn't worry in the meantime.

It's actually the pus/infection that's leaking out instead of building up inside. It's a good sign. Just put a cotton ball in her ear to catch the fluid.

1 / 3