Ear Bleeding with Ear Infection

My nearly 7 month old son was diagnosed with an ear infection in his left ear 3 weeks ago. We were given amoxicillan first, then a week later no change, same amount of pus we were given augmentin, a week later same deal so they put us on cefdinir. 4 days later he starts tugging on the right ear so we take him back to the doctor. Right ear is fine but there is so much pus still in the left ear they decide to give him an ear bath mixture of peroxide and water. Ear bath irrigates some of the pus but not enough to really see how the meds are working since they cant see the ear drum at all. My son is still happy and active. He only gets cranky when its time for bed and when its time to get up. Anyway, later that night i see him tugging at his left ear and then he just starts crying like when he gets a shot! I move his hand to look at his ear and there is blood coming from his ear with a little pus. Its almost as if he found something to stick in there while i wasnt looking, but i looked around and I cant see what he might have used. We are already on antibiotics and ear drops. He went to sleep 10 minutes later and Its 2 30 am what should I do? What could have happened?

Had our ENT appointment today. Doc vacuumed out a pretty icky looking glob of thick puss. He said that the ear drum wasnt torn and it didnt have any holes in it. The blood probably was from the walls of the canal being dry after the ear bath (peroxide dries things out) and all the manipulation to the ear that day. Also said that the ear didnt look actively infected anymore but there was still some fluid behind the eardrum. He said it was common for fluid to remain for a few weeks after the infection was gone. He prescribed the amoxicillan again but only once a day this time to make sure the ear didnt get infected again until the fluid drained. Made a follow up appointment for three weeks to make sure everything is going ok. Right ear still looks good. Thanks so much for everyones help and suggestions. More than anything its helped keep me calm lol.

I recommend Cranial Osteopathy or CranioSacral Therapy. The first ended my daughter's constant ear infections at 18 months of age and the second is very similar. It gets the air flowing better in there just like ear tubes do.

Definitely call the doc. A bad ear infection can rupture the eardrum. This can cause hearing loss. Dont wait.

Dear Neesha,

So sorry it's a weekend - I hope you are able to get baby to the doctor to get his ear looked at. The first thing I thought when I read your post was that his eardrum had ruptured. It seems the other ladies think so too. Don't be too surprised if the doctor recommends putting a tube in his ear. Sometimes they do that if they know that antibiotics aren't working.

Hi N.,

It sounds like a ruptured ear drum. It's very painful when it happens, but then, the pain goes away because the pressure is relieved. You might need a different type of ear drops and they'll want to monitor it to make sure the tear closes. There are ways to fix it if it doesn't close on it's own, but most do. I'd call his ped in the morning or take him to an urgent care to make sure that's what it is. In the mean time, try to keep it dry (no bath or hair washing and I'd probably skip the drops) until you get it checked.

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

sounds like the ear drum burst. call your doctor. Just a side note if he gets infections alot you may want to look in to tubes my daughter had them around a year and hasnt had one infection since and she was getting them once a month! good luck talk to your doctor he needs to be seen again for the bleeding

It sounds like his ear drum may have ruptured. This sounds worse than it really is. It happened to me one time in high school. It hurt when it happened but ultimately ended up releasing the pressure behind the ear drum and ended up being the beginning of the end of an ear infection that had lasted months. My hearing is fine now, apparently this is not that uncommon even though it sounds awful.

Dear N.,

This same thing happened with my youngest (who is now 8 ) when she as a baby. She had always had problems with her left ear, sinus and eye getting infected, and antibiotics just don't always work. One morning, I awoke to find a small pool of blood on her pillow and freaked out! Took her to the ER, it was just a perferated ear drum. That's actually a very good thing. It means the pus can finally drain out and she can heal now.
"In the good old days", Dr.s used to use a needle and pop it themselves so it could drain, in the days before antibiotics, but they won't let them do that now.

When she was 2 1/2, I finally eliminated all sugar and white flour from her diet, and the
problem went away!

Also, do not ever give her fruit juice in her bottle and let her lay down with it. the sugars can seep through the eustachian tube and sit in her ear and cause the bacteria to multiply and giver her the infection.

Hope that helps!

I didnt read through the other responses but it sounds like his eardrum ruptured. Call your doctor. When an eardrum ruptures (and then heals) it leaves behinds some scarring. After a particularly bad rupture or a series of ruptures, hearing loss can occur. Call your doc, let him know what happened and see what he recommends. Your baby is too little but I know with older kids, they take a decongestant to relieve some of the pressure on the eardrum.

1 / 3