DVD Movies for 8-Year-old Boy and 5-Year-old Girl

We're taking a long car trip next month and I need some movie ideas that would appeal to both of our kids -- an 8-year-old boy who's into Pokemon (in other words, nothing cutesy) and a 5-year-old girly girl. Our minivan's DVD system shows only one show at a time, so they'd both be watching.

We've already got the Pixar movies, so I'm hoping for some fresh ideas. Any DVDs come to mind that might appeal to both of our kids?

Spongebob? Both my kids (one girl, one boy) love Spongebob. I know a lot of adults think it's annoying, but even my husband and I crack up when we watch it.

~Scooby Doo always worked well for all the kids in my family.

~Any old Bugs Bunny or Wyle E. Coyote and The Roadrunner cartoons always brings BIG laughs too...it is so strange?! :)

~What about Ben 10? Have you seen this one? It has a boy main character (Ben) and a girl main character (Gwen) who are cousins...and it is actually very good! *Warning this cartoon has superpowers and magic and aliens in it, for those of you Moms who do not agree with such things*

How about Tangled? Heck, my HUSBAND even loves that one!!!

How about the Air Bud bunch of movies? They have all sorts of them. Snow buddies, Space Buddies, etc with all the dogs on crazy adventures.
Have a safe trip!

We like:

Yes, Avatar
CJ-7
Nim's Island
Totoro
Mr. Bean's Holiday
Pink Panther
Tom & Jerry
The Last Airbender
Little Bear (by Maurice Sendak)

Shark Boy & Lava Girl.
The Spy Kids series - I think there are 3 (and it's with Antonio Banderas - yummy!)

Both of these are "action" and have "dual" leads of both a boy and girl so to me they are the perfect movies for kids that age of both genders.

Also - Snow Dogs - your son might get into it cuz it's Cuba Gooding Jr. I love that movie.

Have fun!

How about thinking older classics? The only one that comes right to mind is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the movie about the flying car. I'm sure there's lots more. My son loves to go to his grandma's house and watch those movies with her.

Some favorites in our house:

- Avatar the Last Airbender (has male & female leads with *very* different personalities, which is awesome, funny/sweet/serious/fighting/dance/good friends/***smart adults***/character growth and development) CARTOON series (the movie was pretty awful... they made it all dark and melodramatic..., the cartoons *I* got hooked on along with my son). There are 10 or 15 DVDs in the series, and it's a "story" series... so start off with the first and go in order.

- Wallace & Grommit

- The Pink Panther

- Looney Tunes

- The Muppet Show

1 / 3