Duties of a House Keeper

Hey Moms,
I hope that you can help me with a little problem. I am a full time student, a full time mother of two beautiful girls 8 and 4,and I have also started a full time business. So i went ahead and hired a housekeeper. I started her off at a fair price, now i think it is time to give her what she is asking for. But I want to know what all I can have her do. I want to get the most of my money and pay her what she wants. Right now she dusts my livingroom, vaccum, clean my kitchen, wash dishes, clean the stove, and clean my two bathrooms, toilets, tub, and sinks, and she just vaccums my bedroom. To me I think that this is not enough work for what she wants to get paid. What other duties can I have her do, for someone who is asking 12 dollars or more. I also am providing all the cleaning supplies, and i am at home all the time that she is here. Please if you can help.
Thanks ,
AJ
PS i pay her 12 an hour and she works on monday and thursday. It dont matter to me when she gets done, as long as it gets done.

Hi Moms,
Thanks for all the advice, well I had went in each room that i wanted clean, and from there I had let her know what was to be done and she had no problem with it. So it seems like it went very well. She said she actually likes working for me,YAY!

In today's economic world, $12 isn't a whole lot - it equates to $24K if she's doing it full time.

It sounds like she's doing a good amount. I'd agree that perhaps stripping and remaking beds would be a good task to throw in as well as mopping floors.

Perhaps she can help fold laundry. I'm really picky on that subject, so I personally wouldn't want someone to help, but that's my own personal hang-up (wouldn't even let my mother or MIL do it when I had my kids).

I used to clean houses and $12.00 and hour really isn't that much especially considering how much work you are already having her do. The only way she should do more is if you are paying her for extra hours to be there.

If you feel that you need more jobs for her to do, here are some suggestions: She can change your linens, do your laundry, help clean out a closet, water your plants, clean your refrig once a week. If you give her too many chores, she much get cranky and leave! In addition, she can also play with your girls while you are either working or studying.
Hope this helps you a bit. Good luck!

I'm really curious about the answers you get.

I just had paid a girl $75 to do a basic "wipe down" of our home... two bathrooms, vacuum, mop, clean kitchen, laundry. We have a large home, so I figured this was worth it... but now I'm figuring I paid too much. I am thinking that $12/hr is worth it, figuring that she will be there for about 3 - 4 hours. We are doing this once per month so I can keep up with tee ball, college classes, and everything else.

Is she there every day? Once a week? 2-3-4 times a week? IN MY OPINION that does sound like a pretty light work load. My cleaning lady who just comes once a week, vacuums/dusts my bedroom, sitting room, living room dining room and kitchen. Cleans all aspects of 3 bathrooms. Dusts wood blinds, cleans my wood floors (which look amazing by the way and I have 2 teenagers and 2 big dogs) and polishes my stainless appliances in my kitchen. And occasionally does some windows too. She will do anything I ask, but she stays busy the whole 5 hours she's here.
Good Luck,
L. K

I really don't think that $12 is all that much. If she gets paid by the hour and she stays busy the whole time, then how could you add more duties without adding how much you pay her? I think it would be different if she were getting paid by the job and then didn't do that much and left early.

I also pay our housekeeper $12 an hour, but she only works four hours. She gets done what she gets done in four hours. This is her set up, not mine. She doesn't do dishes, she doesn't clean the stove, she doesn't make up the bed, and she doesn't dust (!). She vacuums all the floors, "mops" if you count using a swiffer mopping, cleans the bathrooms, and that is it. I'd like her to do a lot more and I'd pay her more to do it, but she's not interested and I'm stuck with her because she's the mother of family friend. Oh, I also provide all the cleaning supplies and she uses my vacuum.

Now I used have The Cleaning Authority come. They were great. They brought their own supplies, own vacuum cleaner and everything. They did it all (including cleaning the frig once a month, dusting ceiling fans and blinds, made the bed) and they did a great job but it was $100 each time (plus taxes) and I was in a smaller house then than I am now.

I think she is doing plenty for $12 an hour! I pay my housekeeper $10/hour and that is what she is doing at our house. If she wants more pay then I would also have her strip beds and wash sheets/remake beds. Does he scrub floors as well?

We pay ours $20.00 an hour and she changes the sheets on our bed with the ones out of the dryer when it's done. She cleans the bathtub, toilet, and sink in our bathroom, and the floor. She wipes down the kitchen counter tops plus under the small appliances like the toaster, wipes down the stove top, wipes out the microwave, she mops with our Shark Steam Mop, and wipes out the fridge but I keep spills and old food taken care of, she also gathers the trash from all the small cans throughout the house. She cleans the tv screens and monitors with windex every week. She cleans the other 2 bathrooms once a month, and doesn't do anything with the kids beds but does vacuum their rooms once a month. She dusts once a month and that includes ceiling fan blades and picture frames.

So when she comes in she goes to our bedroom and does it, goes to the kitchen does it, then whichever other room/tasks she is doing she goes there. Then she gathers the trash and finishes by running the sweeper. It takes her about 2 hours to do it all.

I do all our laundry, dishes, cooking, wiping down leather furniture, any spills on the floors, in-between cleaning of the kids bathrooms and floors.

When I worked in Home Health we charged $13.00 an hour and were only allowed to do light housekeeping, that meant no climbing, no lifting, no cleaning cabinets out, nothing more than running the vacuum, doing a few dishes, changing the sheets, cleaning the bathroom, and helping with laundry which meant 1-2 loads, whatever cold be done in the time limit.

1 / 3