Duke TIP Program - Conroe,TX

Hi, has anyone ever heard of the Duke TIP program for 4th and 5th graders? If you have any experience with this organization would you please let me know if your child benefited from it. Thank you.

Wow... thank you so much for all of the feedback! After reading the pros and cons, I have decided to revisit this program in 7th grade. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question, I REALLY appreciate it!

My children (both now adults) both took the SAT through this program in the 7th grade (I didn't realize they now offered it as early as 4th grade!).

My son actually attended, and I think he benefited greatly from it.

My daughter qualified but chose not to; however, simply qualifying got her on the mailing lists of various programs for gifted and talented children and she did end up being able to study at Cambridge University in England for a few weeks one summer as a result, an experience that I think was wonderful for her and shows in her confidence in traveling to this day.

I don't see any downsides to it, and think it's a good opportunity.

I have friends who went to some of their programs in middle school and enjoyed them. I never went to any myself, too expensive.

My child is in the 7th grade and is participating in it now. While the program was available to her in 4th and 5th grade, I was not aware of the benefit and privilege of this program. Duke University tracks children from their Kinder Stanford scores through high school. My daughter recently took the PSAT as a 7th grader through this program. It was a great experience. It's a great opporutinity. I highly recommend you check it out.

Hi, I am also from Conroe and I attended the TIP program that started with 7th graders. It was the most wonderful experience of my life. I do not know how the 4th and 5th grade programs work, as they were not offered when I attended in 1996. But from the four summer sessions I attended at Duke, I made lasting friendships and cherished memories, but beyond that I felt I evolved in way I feel wouldn't have been possible without TIP. To the credit of the classes and instructors, I still remember and use so much that I learned. The level of instruction is both challenging and rewarding, but the true value of TIP is the access children have to others similar to themselves. I gained confidence in my intelligence, which was difficult coming from Conroe, and I felt that there was hope for me to find others like me later in life. Moreover, TIP fosters a spirit of freedom, creativity and individuality. Many of my former TIPsters (as we lovingly call eachother) have gone on to do amazing things. I find that my facebook contacts of TIPsters have in large numbers attended competitive universities and colleges and continued their education beyond a undergraduate degree. An old roomie of mine from TIP graduated at the top of her class at Yale, attended Havard medical school and is now matched in her residency program at Mass. General, one of the best teaching hospitals in the world. No matter what, I think that anyone and everyone who has an opportunity to attend the TIP programs should go. I can safely say that I have never had such a rewarding learning experience as TIP.

My children were accepted into this program. I paid money with the 1st kid and really got nothing in return so 2nd time around I passed. It is an honor to be seletive but I did not find anything there.

My daughter, an 7th grader is in the Duke TIP Program. She is scheduled through the program to take the ACT Test early, next weekend. It seems like a great program intellectually linking smart kids together with educational programs, but it is not free. The summer programs are expensive $1,8000 -$2,0000 for summer camps at places like Texas A&M University and Duke University. Though it is expensive, I am keeping my daughter in it. Only exceptional students are selected. Congrats.
N. P

Our daughter did not really participate, but we did sign her up and she received inf from the program for years we would read the info.

We have a very good friend who has a son who attended a Duke program one summer. He enjoyed it. He is now a second year medical student with Baylor.

We signed up our son, too. Haven't done anything with it, though. You have to pay for each lesson they want to participate in and it wasn't in our budget last year. If you do it, look at the discounted classes they offer from time to time. It looks like they are ones they are going to cycle out of the offerings soon. The news letters are nice, though. Very informative. The nice thing is that my son thought it was very cool to be part of something related to Duke University and showed a lot of pride in that. He thinks he will try to go there some day.

1 / 3