Dry Skin in Infants

Help! my 3 month old daughter has had very dry skin almost from the time she was born. the only thing that seems to help is not bathing her for several days, but all that does is compound cradle cap. it is so dry it seems scaly on the back and sandpapery on her shoulders, forearms and sometimes her wrists, back of neck and small patches on her legs. I put sunscreen on her for a visit to the zoo and it all softened for like a day, but then it came back. she does not seem bothered by it except she pulls at her hair when she has some cradle cap, but I bought Gentle naturals cradle cap care and it totaly works, stinky, but it works. I thought it was eczema that was everywhere else and bought the eczema wash from their same line of products, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions, What could it be? is it serious?

Here's what worked for me:
Cradel cap: rub olive oil into her scalp and let it sit about three minutes and then comb over it litely with a plastic comb- it should flake off-- if it doesn't just peel don't push it - you could cause scabs.
Patchy dry skin --especially at joints: Aquaphore

If the sunscreen softened her screen I would continue to use a lotion on her. I use johnsons everyday on my son after his bath. I would also call the doctor just to be safe. But I think it the sunscreen lotion worked then lotion might be the trick.

C.,
My niece has had extremely bad eczema since she was about 6 weeks old. her mother had to quit breast-feeding and she ate a special hyper allergenic formula. she is about 16 months old now and it is not quite so severe, but she still has it. Her mother has mentioned that it seems to get better when we are camping, we think that it is because of the exposure to the sun and also because of the zinc oxide in the sunscreen. they bath her daily (they swear that it actually helps keep it under control) and they use auquaphor cream after the bath all over her. there is also a plant called comfrey that is good for itchies in general (if it seems to bother her). i am unsure of the safety of using it on a baby so young, but you might keep it in mind for later down the road. you don't feed it to the child, you boil it down and make a "tea" out of it and bath her in it. you can also mix the tincture with baking soda and apply it topically as a paste. if you seem to have trouble with this as she gets older i would recommend trying many natural remedies (with guidance of an herbalist) before getting into the steroid creams that the docs will certainly give you for it. good luck to you
~L.

Try Eucerin lotion- it's what my dermatologist told me to use when I had eczema. They also make a cleanser that you use without water for if she needs it between bath days. Maybe try just washing her hair in-between times in the sink or something. But if you really think it's eczema, you might want to check with your dr as well, as they have many new products out to help with this!

My Dr recommended Eucerine lotion cream for my daughter and it has always worked great! It is thicker, however it is not greasy. It is a little expensive, however a little goes a long way. Hope this helps!

Hi, C., I have had several friends that had this and they used Arbonne's baby line all of them cleared up. These are amazing products you can email me for info. good luck

Hello C.. I've tried many products, the best ones I've used are Aquafor, Eucerin, Burt's Bees, and DHC(DHC.com) all a great products that work very well. My personal favorite that I still use on my 6 yr. old is DHC. I think I like DHC the best because it's a natural olive oil line and my child no longer has dry skin skin, but soft baby skin. You may just want to check with your child's doctor or a dermatologist to see if your daughter has eczema & if she does, you can find out your options for her treatment. I hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Both my boys have eczema. I use a whole lot of aveeno. I use the lotion all day long on both of them and I bathe them 2 or 3 times a week in aveeno body wash which I put in a foam dispenser from pampered chef. I fill up the bottle with the wash about 1/4 of the way and the rest is water. I use all free and clear laundry detergent and only use half the recommended measuring of it. I took them to an allergist to get an allergy test. I've ripped out carpeting, gotten rid of animals and dust regularly. Also, I have allergen covers for my pillowcases and mattresses and a Hepa Filter in their bedroom. Also I don't let anyone smoke around them or carry or hug them unless they change their shirt, wash their hands, and brush their teeth. I know it sounds harsh but my kids are my world and if they are allergic to it, I'm getting rid of it! So I hope you get it under control! Good luck!

C.,

Does your 3mos old really NEED a bath several times a week? Is she
sweaty, dirty, and stinks? Most infants are bathed because parents want to, not because it's what their skins needs. Try bathing her one or two times a week. Cradle cap is a commmon, and very normal change in the oil production of the scalp. If you've found a product that helps it, stay with it. You may also want to try a different soap/shampoo (for infants). 2 brands that are very mild are Medela and Burt's Bees. As an example, my son had a bath once a week as an infant. Once he became mobile and got into more stuff, he needed a bath two times a week. He's 3 now, but still two baths, plus an additional when needed. I have used Burt's Bees shampoo bar on him exclusively.

Try using extra virgin coconut oil. It is awesome stuff for skin. I had to go to a health food store to find it.

1 / 3