Dry Raw Hands

Hi ladies,
I have to wash my hands frequently (diaper changing, cooking, etc.) and the weather has turned cold so I can't seem to keep my hands from being dry, cracking, red, and just, in general, raw and sore! I sleep with vaseline all over my hands covered with socks. During the day, I have tried gold bond, burt's bees almond milk, and a few other lotions, but nothing seems to keep my hands from getting so dry. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!
Cyndi

Thank you so much for all the responses - you mommas are awesome! I have tried a few of the things that people suggested. I had some badger balm (which I assume is similar to some of the other balm products mentioned) on hand that my husband used to use. It is extremely sticky but I don't mind wearing that at night - it helped. I also got some aquaphor and that seems to be helping too. I have been carrying around a little lotion bottle in my pocket and putting it on every time I wash my hands. They are getting better. Thank you! (If people want to keep adding suggestions though, that is great!)

I battled this for years before a dr saw it. She gave me a prescription strength cream (2 actually) that have helped tremendously. I did all the things you described and wore gloves from the time it was the tiniest bit cold out - nothing helped. These 2 creams (one is a steroid cream and one ammonium lactate) have done more in a few days than anything I tried at home ever did. I never thought to bring it up to the dr, but boy am I glad she noticed.

Triple Paste makes a severe dry skin/eczema lotion. It's AWESOME. I've tried everything too. This is far and away the best.

Well I have battled eczema for a while, so I feel you. The only thing that works for me is Aquaphor. It is mainly petroleum but it has some mineral oil etc in it and it is a wonder. I just use the walmart brand and it does just fine an is a lot less expensive. I put it on a couple times a day, just have to do it at a time where you have a few minutes to let it soak in. My hands still have a little dryness but nothing like before and they don't crack and bleed at all. I also wear gloves for kitchen work, like dishes and counter cleaning etc. This helps sooooooo much!! Good luck:)

Hi C.---I'd like to suggest another idea. Look at your diet to help with this problem. First, be sure that you are eating mostly plants; fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes/beans, nuts and seeds. Then, eat more of those that have a high content of omega 3 fatty acids. Those would be ground flax (a HUGE superfood-fiber, protein, omega 3's, vitamins, minerals and cancer fighting properties), walnuts, pumkin seeds and soy and canola oils (these are usually GMO if not organic). Of course, cold water fish will also provide omega 3's, but TOO MUCH animal protein is not good for long term health. Increasing your omega 3's should, in time, help your skin to withstand the frequent assaults AND heal faster when your skin is irritated.

Plants contain the nutrients necessary for your body to both protect and heal from the frequent had washing and skin cracking. Even if you feel that you eat alot of fruits and veggies, it may not be enough for your body. I truly believe that our food does not contain the nutrients today that are necessary for disease prevention. There are many reasons for that and, if you'd like, we can continue that discussion later. But, I believe that's why major health organizations are recommending that we eat 10+ servings a day...and more if you exercise or are experiencing any health conditions.

So, I know it may seem pretty out there, but I am confident that improving the diet could help. Understand that I am not suggesting your diet is poor, just that it may not be good enough to overcome your skin sensitivities. I am learning about the healing powers of food in a series of wellness classes, taught by a Naturopath who has her PhD in Nutrition. I would be happy to share details of what she teaches to support my suggestions. Feel free to contact me at any time. Take care and good luck with your quest. Be well, D.

I never had eczema in my life until I had a baby...an then only on my hands....is it cracking and bleeding in places? Baby bath products were the worst for flaring it up on my hands.
And if there's an "itch/burn" factor it might be eczema. And you should see a dr. for an Rx.
But aquaphor IS amazing stuff for garden variety dry hands but it's a little greasy to use during the day. Have you ever tries Udderly Smooth? Very good!

i do that vaseline thing with my feet!, lol.........id reccommend using rubber gloves for all possible water realted activities and keeping extra immoliant lotion in every room

try a soap with lotion in it instead of alcohol and then try Aquafor instead of vaseline. Aquafor is amazing on dry skin.

try drinking more water. dehydration can also lead to dry skin. also bag balm. avon sells really good lotions and gels that are great from dried hands (its what my mom uses when her hands get so dry they crack and bleed. also try crisco instead of the vaseline also applying lotion right after you wash your hands will help seal in the moisture

I would like to recommend Mary Kay's Extra Emolient Night cream. It looks and feels greasy, but you can go to bed in satin sheets and it won't leave a mark. It stays in your skin for up to 5 washings and all you need to do to "reactivate" it in between is rub your hands together. It also works WONDERS on diaper rash because it has a waterproof barrier. I would ask your local consultant for a sample.

1 / 3