Dry-erase Marker Nightmare!!!!

My 4 year old angel decided that it would be a good idea for her to take a red dry-erase marker to her walls, furniture, toys, sheets, windows, and just about everything else in her room while she was supposed to be sleeping. This sneaky little girl was so quiet I thought she was sleeping...boy did she make me look like a sucker on this one :) How do I get this off!!!?!?! I've tried Clorox Wipes, Mr Clean Magic Eraser, charcol lighter fluid (which will remove about anything from anything), goo gone, and good old fashioned soap and water and nothing even begins to touch it. On top of it all, we JUST painted her room, furniture and got her a new bed....everything is white except for her walls which are purple so it's not like the red "blends in". Does anyone know anything that will get this off or am I going to have to repaint the walls and furniture again?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Wow!!! Thanks so much for all the responses. I was really surprised at how many off the wall (pun totally intended) suggestions there were for this. I have found that hairspray will take it off the walls (which by the way are painted paneling, I forgot to add) but will not take it off of the furniture or the doors. It also doesn't really remove much paint, although I will still have to touch it up. The hand sanatizer took it off everything, but it did remove a good amount of paint with it. Either way I have to touch up the paint, but I expected I would have to do that anyway. So, for all you moms who encounter this problem, hand sanatizer is to go to solution, but you will have to paint, yet again. Thanks for all the advice, I'm so relieved that I'm actually going to be able to get this out!!!!

hi, try Simple Green on the walls. Don't know about the other material. Recent Van Gohllish experience. good luck

have you tried hairspray? I know it works on permanate marker. Also some windex has worked on printer ink in carpet.

H.

Many dry erase markers and kids' markers are vinegar based (and hence non-toxic), and if you dilute the stain in vinegar, it will lift the stain, perhaps. (In contrast, sharpies and many other pens are alcohol based. So,hairspray, which is also alcohol based, dilutes it and helps with lifting those stains). Though I've never tried it on stains, my experience with this is soaking in vinegar the tips of dry erase markers (that my daughter forgets to cap) to restore the dried out markers. While soaking the dried tips, the pinch pot of vinegar fills with restored ink.

Did you try rubbing alcohol?? That should work on any alcohol based ink product. Works great for ball point ink stains on clothing, too. Some people recommend hair spray, too. Most hairspray has alcohol in it.

GOOD ??? for all of us with little artists

"Never Dull brand"(Magic Wadding Polish) will clean permanent marker off of any smooth surface. It'll also clean any old dry-erase shadows .
Not for textiles.

You got a lot of reply's here and I didn't read them all, and not sure if this was mentioned, but try Melalueca Sol-u-mel. My son drew on the carpet and walls with PERMANENT marker, I was so happy that it removed every last trace of it, and best of all...it's non toxic.

Hi Brandon -- Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the dry-erase pen? They probably have an 800 number buried somewhere on the package. Also, a million years ago when my daughter ball-point-penned all over her new Mme Alexander doll, I called an Amway representative in my neighborhood who was able to walk me through removing the pen. Or maybe calling Procter & Gamble or Johnson & Johnson.

That's all I can think of. Good luck! L.

I have had good luck using baby oil on a cottonball to get ink pen and marker scribbles off of wood furniture, might give that a try!

1 / 3