Dry, Chapped Lips on Toddler

Thanks in advance to all you Moms! You are always right on with your answers and advice, so I hope you can (once again!) help a first-time Mommy out!

My 13 month old toddler has dry, chapped lips. He is not dehydrated, as he drinks plenty of milk and water (and always has wet diapers). I've tried vaseline and some of my own chapsticks, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any products/advice to help his poor little lips heal?

Definately don't use Vaseline as it actually makes it worse. Petroleum based products like Vaseline and Mineral oil will dry out the skin worse. I used to have terribly dry lips to the point of bleeding until I tried Arbonne's Lip Saver. Proud to say have not had dry lips since 2001. My kids love it. Even my husband uses and he works in construction.

This might sound a little odd....but try Lansinoh nipple cream....it is 100% lanolin and works like a charm. The hospital gave me a tube of it when I took the breast feeding class they offered. Alas my darling little one REFUSED to latch on at all. So I have used it on her bottom when she had a bad rash, used it on her upper lip when she has had colds, used it on my own chapped lips, and when my winter dry hands start to split I use it to soften them. Good stuff.

My 14-month-old son has the same problem. I use Boudreaux's Baby Kisses on his lips. It helps and he doesn't mind it.

I would use coconut oil. It is fantastic! It is so good for you. Please, don't use vaseline products on your son's skin! Vaseline is a petroleum based product. Made from crude oil. It is so toxic. You definitely don't want to have that absorbed into his skin or swallowed! Look on your lotions too. It is in most lotions. Read your labels and say no thanks to petroleum. It only makes things worse. Coconut is natural, healthy in so many ways, and works for so many skin ailments. Google it to learn more. You may be so surprised at what you find. HTH

Lypsyl works great! I think you can find it at Kmart or Walmart. Just make sure it's the stick and not the cream in the tube. Did wonders for my family :)

Give your little one omega 3 fatty acids--you can get them in child form at any natural health food store, and King Soopers even carries coromega brand that I give my little ones. The dryness saps the natural fatty acids from kids skin, and treating from the inside out will cure the problem. Treating them with a mineral based salve will clog the pores and is not healthy. However, using coconut oil (which has the natural fatty acids that the skin uses to repair itself in it), or even olive oil will help treat the problem in the near term.

I know I recommend this a lot, but I really love it! Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Cream works wonders. I use it for me and the kids for chapped lips, rashes (the kids, not me :) ) sore nose from colds, etc. GL! I hope he feels better soon.

The trick with chapped lips is that the balms do very little until you get rid of the dead skin on top. Now, you don't want to go picking it off. The sugar & oil scrub someone mentioned earlier is a good way. There are also exfoliating products for lips - Mary Kay makes a great one. Contact me for more info (and I can find out if it is safe for ver little ones). After you've gently taken off that dead skin, a smooth balm (not one in a stick, but the gooey kind you rub in) will help soothe and keep the moisture in.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

chapped lips dry lips toddler kids