Drum Sticks as a Party Favor - Fun or Annoying?

My youngest son is having his 7th birthday party in a couple of weeks. It's at an indoor gym/pool but his cake will be a Green Day (as in the rock band) theme so we're going with more of a rock star theme to the party. Whenever possible, I try to give a party favor that's not just going to end up as useless clutter and I've come up with some pretty decent favors in past years every now and again.

This year, I'm thinking of giving the kids a pair of drumsticks that are personalized a bit with the Green Day logo and/or the date of the birthday party or something like that along with a small bag of candy. I have a house full of drummers so I'm used to them walking around with their sticks and playing on the couch, their lap etc. but to non-drummer parents, would you be incredibly annoyed with this favor? I just don't want to be "that mom" if the universal reaction will be "who the hell gives drumsticks to a 7 year old, those are so going in the trash."

LOL thanks everyone - the chicken and ice cream comments made me LOL so thanks for making my day. You all crack me up! Not sure what we'll end up doing, so thanks for your candid feedback. Definitely gives me something to think about.

well, now that I know you weren't suggesting giving out a hunk of chicken or an ice cream treat that will melt 2 minutes later on the car seat, i think it's a great idea!

Fun to give, annoying (for the parents) to receive. My boys were given the coolest electronic drumsticks which drove me and their father insane!

Yikes. I would really be unhappy about it. More than anything, if the child attending the birthday party has younger siblings, thinking of my son with his younger sister, that to me presents a problem (keeping baby or toddler from nap times, weapon...).
As an alternative, Oriental Trading Company has inflatable guitars that are reasonably priced. A friend of mine gave those to the kids in her class (she teaches 3rd grade) and they LOVED them. Maybe that is an option? Still rock and roll, but quieter?

I think it's a GREAT idea! Of course I am a huge Green Day and rock fan in general so I am biased ;-)
If the kids decide to take the sticks home and use them to whack their siblings then their parents can take them away (and let's face it, some kids will turn anything stick shaped into a weapon.) But you know, my daughter got a drum machine when she was around five years old and I don't ever remember the sticks being a problem, even with an older brother and younger sister, they all played with it. Same with their Rock Band game a few years later.
Rock on!!!

They'd be in the garbage the instant we stepped foot inside our house.

fun, and I bet no kid has ever got them for a party favor ever. That makes it even better!!

My kids would love them and I would hate them . . . :/

if my 7 year old came home with drum sticks as a party favors....i'd be pissed. and i wouldn't care what was written on them. banging walls, other kids, banging on furniture.....i think you need to go back to the drawing board for another idea!!

& before the kids are out the door, they'll all be dueling!

sorry, but that's what I've seen with every single group of kids thru the past 25+ years. Give 'em a stick/straw/you name it, & they'll be dueling like pirates, playing Karate Kid, & poking the heck out of each other! Not a bad thing, just not what a lot of parents would want.

& now that I think about it.....(sigh) even the adults in my world would be acting up, too!

Cool idea...not sure if it's good for a group.

1 / 3