Driving to FLA from PA, Any Ideas of PLACES to STOP/SEE on the WAY?

Hi All. My husband and I are driving to Boca Raton Fla the first two weeks of April. We have gone to Fla. numerous times because my Dad lives there, but we always fly there. This is the first time we intend to DRIVE and stop on the way to explore the SOUTHERN COASTAL STATES on the way.

We are alloting ourselves a leisurely drive down of 5-8 hours driving per day, and staying at a motel at night. While on the way, we would like to stop and see what we can, it can be close to I-95 or off the beaten track. We are very open to suggestions, we love all kinds of food, love nature and exploring, and sightseeing. We are going alone, without children, so places like "Sesame Street" or other places geared to very small children are not of interest to us, but of course, even adults love amusement parks and places like Disney and Universal Studios, Marineland, Plantariums, Science and Historical Museums, etc. My husband and I are particularly interested in SCIENCE and HISTORY as well as CULTURAL PLACES, caves and caverns, music, art, antiques, collectibles, and anything COUNTRY oriented, like farms. We also love anything "WESTERN/ WILD WEST", (although there probably isn't anything on the way we can see on this coast!) Can anyone suggest a few PLACES OF INTEREST to see on the way so that we can map our trip out? Someone told us of a place called SOUTH OF THE BORDER, which is in Dillon, South Carolina, and that appears to be a Mexican themed Amusement Park. We LOVE MEXICO and MEXICAN FOOD! Thanks for all your suggestions.

I have made this drive before, stopping at anything that struck us. I know there are several wildlife refuges with walking paths that make great leg stretchers. Some of them are state some national. A quick internet search would help you find them. Also there are many civil war battle sites, if you are interested in history. Again easy to find with a google search.

Chincoteague/Assateague - see the wild ponies! I also LOVE the cites of Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. They are friendly, historic, beautiful, and have great shopping and food!! Stay the night if you can!!

When I drove from northeast pa to miami, I stopped in richmond and savannah. If you hit richmond, be sure to have lunch at richbrau's - a really cool little brewery in downtown. We stopped in richmond midday, then drove to savannah and stayed overnight at baymont inn and suites (which is in kind of a sketchy part of town, but was very nice, very affordable, and a literal 3 mins from downtown). Then we drove straight down to miami. I might also recommend wilmington, nc. I lived there for a while and it has a very quaint downtown and is also close to the beach. Eat at water st (a historic downtown restaurant), they have great seafood, outdoor seating, and reasonable prices. Good luck!

Savannah is a great place to visit. We've been a few times. Also, downtown Charleston, SC is a neat place, too.

When we drive to SC, we always hit Folley and Isle of Palms beaches. Might be a little too cold to do that when you are there.

They have little ghost tours in Savannah and tours of Charleston, too. We haven't been able to do them since we always take our kids (almost 15, 6 1/2 and 2 1/2) when we go and the younger ones would have NO interest. LOL

Of course a stop at Disney World is a must do! LOL And there's some great outlet shopping in Orlando (got a neat little coach bag for $40 the last time we were there)!

Dollywood, Nashville, Savannah, GA, Charleston,SC, Williamsburg, VA.

The Smokey Mountains are absolutely beautiful Just avoid them at night because then they are TOO smokey and you won't be able to see to drive. I'm not real good with geography, but I think they start toward southern VA. (MY husband was driving) I think they are not far from I95. Also Laurel Caverns toward central PA are nice. Colonial Wiiliamsburg is a must if you love history, and you can hit Busch Gardens while there because they are in the same area.

We moved back to PA from SC about a year ago. My husband was in the military and we were living in Beaufort SC. My husband worked on Parris Island, the Marine boot camp. There is an awesome museum on the base, it's not very big and will not take you all day, but it's full of military history. If you go on a Friday morning you can watch a graduation, it doesn't matter if you don't know anyone. There is a beach called Hunting Island. Many movies were made there, they have a cultural center (never been in there) it's very very clean and pretty.
I have not been there in a really long time, but Gettysburg VA might be fun.
There is also Kings Dominion amusement park.
Savannah GA has the lady and sons restaurant, which is Paula Deen's of the food network. It's very good, just not the place to go if you are on a diet. Near by there is the river and lot of fun shops. There is a lot to do there, just Google it.
Hope this help a bit and have a blast!!

Definitely go to South of the Border. Another great place to go, for everything you've mentioned in your post, is St. Augustine, FL. It's the oldest city in the US and has alot of history and things to see. I'd reserve a full day, and it is WELL worth it.

S.,

what a fun adventure! there are many great things to see and do on that trip.

beckley springs, W VA is a neat little town. There's a castle built on the hillside that is available to tour. There are hot springs in town.

The Georgetown/Charleston area of SC is particularly nice. If you can swing it, I highly reccommend stopping to see BrookGreen Gardens and Atilaya. A sculpter and her husband originally owned both properties. Atilaya is the house and the gardens house many of her sculptures.

Wilmington NC houses the battleship NC which is a nice tour.

Chincoteague and Assateague Islands (NC/VA) are great sites as well, particulary if you are fans of the M. Henry's book series, Misty of Chincoteage.

Baltimore's Inner Harbour is beautiful. There's a ton of stuff crammed into a small area. We just visited the aquarium there for the first time in November.

Hope your trick goes well!

1 / 3