Dribbling Baby

Hello everyone,

My baby is 6 weeks old and a dribbler! I know she is hungry but seems to dribble quite a bit and her bib is soaked. She does not do this every feeding-maybe 1 out of every third. I don't know if it is her or the bottles. We have tried the Avent stage one for newborns and also a bigger hole from Gerber but it is the same with all. My friend suggested the playtex latex. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the advice. We tried a few bottles but most were about the same. She seems to do it when she is the most sleep so my best course of action is to try to stimulate her while feeding an it seems to work!

I read an article about this a while back and it said that babies drool more because their saliva has fluid in it that helps them break down there food. My problem is that my son is 29 months old and he still drools all of the time. It is like he forgets to swallow or something. His shirts are always soaked.

K.,

I used Dr. Brown bottles and loved them. I recommended them to my cousin, and that's all she uses now.

Take care and have fun with your baby. They grow up so fast!

We had the same problem with the Avent and the Playtex with our baby girl. They seemed too big for her to close her mouth around and get a good latch. We switched to Munchkin Tri-Flow bottles (got them at Target), they have a nice small nipple and three adjustable flow rates. It's the only bottle we will use, we gave away or threw away all the others. We also tried the Dr. Brown's, the size is right but there are too many pieces to be cleaning all the time, so they were kind of a pain.

Try the evenflo playtex line of bottles. They "fit" better as they are angled to prevent air bubbles, and worked well for my little guy. The nipple also doesn't "leak" they have to suck on it for it to "flow."

Hope that helps.

Babies dribble, that is what they do, just keep her very clean, wiping gently and often, and keeping a cloth diaper or bib handy, but if she appears to have any discomfort or is choking frequently, it is time to have her taken to the pediatrician. There can be reasons why she is having trouble swallowing or keeping it in her mouth. They most common is overfeeding or nasal problems. Not getting her in a comfortable position to swallow can hinder her alot. Turn your head various directions and swallow, it will help you see what I mean. Be persistent about checking off the possibilities, but don't panic or worry unless she appears in danger. Larger holes in the nipple multiply the possibility of just too much to swallow.

You might need to experiment with other nipples, but I would avoid latex.

I would try a nipple that has a slow flow not a bigger hole, she could be dribbling due to getting too much milk at once. I used playtex bottle and nipples and loved them, I used the one that use the bags which cuts down on the amount of air the baby gets. Also may try to burp her more frequently during feeding.

Good luck and I am sure it will all work out fine.

Hi K., my son was like that and I used playtex clear and they worked wonders for me, still a little dribbling but not much....good luck..

1 / 3