Dressing in Front of Your Children

At what age did you stop dressing/undressing in front of your children? My son is 2 years.

P.

I don't think that there is a "right" answer to this question. But, I agree with the consensus. It's whenever you want it to be. My oldest is 7 & my husband & I still change in front of him. Yes, the kids have noticed the differences & have even commented on them. That's the best time to have small talks about the differences between boys & girls.

My husband have never be naked in front of my kids, but I do change and take showers in front of my 2 year old.
My 12 year old have always be shy, and she was the one that would leave the room if I start getting change around 7 I think.
In Mexico, public saunas are not only common but is almost like a tradition. Its a big business. And women and girls all age shower naked and nobody have problem with that. I grew going with my mother to this places and never see nothing weird but my daughter would have a heart attack if I ever ask her to go, lol.
EDIT: I just remember something! My mom is a massage therapist, and one day she gave my MIL a massage and ask me to bring them a towel and her oils, when I walk in my MIL was without bra...even if I have seen many women naked, incluiding my own mom, seen my own MIL was very uncomfortable, lol.
My husband is very privet and kind of old fashion about this, so when I came out and told him what happen he cover his hear and walk away, lol.

My son is 10. He obviously knows the differences btwn men and women. He knows to knock before entering if doors are closed. There are several times when I am in my bathroom or closet and I haven't shut the door, he will walk in to ask me something. If I am naked or getting naked I don't make a big deal about it. I may casually get a robe or something. I don't scream and slam the door in his face. He doesn't have a problem (yet) with being nude in front of us. If his attitude changes about it, then so may ours.

I think the right age is whenever it makes you uncomfortable to dress in front of your kids. I have 2 girls, so it doesn't bother me to dress in front of them (they are 5 and 7). I guess in my mind, better that they see what a real mommy body looks like than to compare themselves to the models in Cosmo or wherever. From time to time one of them will wander in when my husband is getting dressed, and they really don't seem to notice. We don't really think it's a big deal, so I guess they don't either. (The other day, my youngest asked me, "Do you know what's weird? Daddy's winky-dink is totally different from all of ours! Do you think he knows?" LOL)

When you are ready to stop changing in front of him. If he's asking questions about the differences in your body to his this may not be such a bad thing. It makes it easier for him to understand why girls and boys have different parts (if you are ready for those questions/and if he can understand the answers). If you are fine and so is he don't make a big deal keep it simple and go for what you know I hope this helps :)

We're a casually naked family. Meaning that I still see my parents and their gen naked from time to time, and we practice casual nudity inside our own home. Kiddo's 8.

My dad's rule of thumb with us was when we were potty-trained enough that we needed NO help whatsoever, AND able to bathe on our own... he would teach us about privacy during potty training, and once we were on our own there we had to respect other people's privacy and expect them to respect ours. (My dad raised 4 (of 13) of us on his own...2 boys and 2 girls...)

i never stopped, i have both girls. my husband stopped undressing near my daughter as soon as she seemed curious about their differences., Which was well before age two.
Maybe i should stop, everytime my toddler sees me naked she smacks me on the butt

but moms and sons might be different, i think you will know in your gut when the right time is.

I dress in front of my kids, but they are both girls. My hubby didn't really have an issue with child #1 b/c she never really noticed, but with my 2nd girl, she started pointing out differences at 2 and started trying to stare at his privates while he got out of the shower, etc. It made him uncomfortable so we keep her away and distracted while he's naked. No big deal. We always said that as long as they are young enough to not remember it was ok. :) Everyone has different comfort levels.

1 / 3